·
Registered
196 Posts
I went with OEM Volvo 18" rims and Michelin X-Ice for my winter setup

·
Registered
196 Posts
are Volvo wheels easily obtainable?
They are here in Alberta, Canada. The Volvo dealership here sells Volvo winter tire setups. I purchased mine with the car.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
are Volvo wheels easily obtainable?
Any dealer in the US can order you a winter set up as well. Call around as the price can vary.

I would imagine Tirerack probably needs a car to measure to see what would fit - happens a lot with a new model.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any dealer in the US can order you a winter set up as well. Call around as the price can vary.

I would imagine Tirerack probably needs a car to measure to see what would fit - happens a lot with a new model.

I am done using tirerack...Their wheel selection is poor. Going with Discount Tire Direct.
OEM wheels are overpriced and HEAVY

·
Registered
195 Posts
I contacted Tire Rack and asked them about after market wheels for late model Volvo's. They said they have a long list on vehicles that need to be brought into their South Bend shop to be measured and cross referenced. And while they think they might have wheels that could fit our Volvo's till they do a fitment check they won't list a wheel to fit. As they say...Time and money solves most problems...So we will have to wait and keep checking. I won't need snows till winter of 2020 myself. I may be stuck with doing a change over vs winter wheels. Then there are people who are selling winter wheels with tires who don't want to include them with the trade in...Still expensive for me..But worth watch for here on SS.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am done using tirerack...Their wheel selection is poor. Going with Discount Tire Direct.
OEM wheels are overpriced and HEAVY

While it is true that they are heavy, here in Calgary the Volvo OEM setup was actually cheaper than doing it at a local tire shop.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
While it is true that they are heavy, here in Calgary the Volvo OEM setup was actually cheaper than doing it at a local tire shop.
And stand the best chance of not being damaged when they encounter winter weather driving conditions (potholes). Light wheels are great but that comes at a price.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
heavy wheel has higher inertia. I noticed big difference the ride quality over rough roads after swapping OE 25+ lbs rims with 19lbs rims in the same size.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
True, lesser unsprung weight is a good thing to an extent. All I'm saying is that a $200 light weight wheel will most likely be as strong as an OEM one. In some cases you get what you pay for this is one of those cases. Get a spare because in a year or two when you need a replacement they may not be available. Ask me how I know this, lol.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
True, lesser unsprung weight is a good thing to an extent. All I'm saying is that a $200 light weight wheel will most likely be as strong as an OEM one. In some cases you get what you pay for this is one of those cases. Get a spare because in a year or two when you need a replacement they may not be available. Ask me how I know this, lol.
I am not talking ultralight wheels but rims that are at least three pound lighter and flow flowed.
I have custom set of Team Dynamics Motorsport wheels and bought 5 of them.
It is silly to buy just four rims.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts