SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: SO... I bought my car from the original owner. At the time of purchase I asked if he had ever done the timing belt... he replied with "Im 99% sure its a timing chain" So obviously me being a tech I knew better.

So what I had on my hands was a 186k ORIGINAL Tbelt, waterpump, tensioner/idler. I almost couldnt believe it. As soon as I pulled the cover back to look at it, I saw the belt with cracks all over the backside, and never drove the car since.

Got the parts from FCP and did it today. (GMB Pump/tensioner/idler & Conti belt)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
nice, i changed mine at 145k and it looked similar, tossed it in the trash and didnt take a pic

i have the conti belts on both my volvo's too.. no problems yet ,i do pop the cover and check them every once in a while

still running original waterpumps though

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still almost cant believe it.. I was ****tin bricks driving the car home, especially since I romped on it a little bit on the test drive before I looked at the belt.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
glad you are stock, if not, at this time you could need a new engine.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
You guys would be surprised how many people aren't willing to pay to do maintenance on critical stuff like this.

my brother bought an old accord back in the day and needed a new t-belt, waterpump, etc at 80k... he drove it until 140k until he left it in a floodzone during a tropical storm.

take some more pictures of that green car :thumbup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Job took me an hour. I've done atleast 20 of these over the last couple years. + using my air tools

·
Registered
146 Posts
Job took me an hour. I've done atleast 20 of these over the last couple years. + using my air tools
Wow thats really fast. I'm getting ready to do mine and I expect it to take all afternoon. Nice save on that TB... man that was close.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Ah that quick? I've done a good bit of timing belt jobs in my day. But never on a FWD based car. I got mine coming up in 25k-30k

1 - 11 of 11 Posts