SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any instructions on how to rebuild the latch for the tailgate? Mine gave up the ghost and the latch portion just spun when turned under any load. Chrome on the old one is shot so I do have a new handle, tumbler and key knob, the actual latch and a new spring.

When it was pulled apart there wasn't a spring for the flap that opens or closes when in contact with the rubber tailgate seal.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Stewart;

Check exploded assembly diagrams for ES in GCP.se...it might show the assembly apart which should help...otherwise, I cant remember it being particularly difficult...just do it on the same day, with disassembly and reassembly being not too far apart that you can't remember, or take pix/notes during disassembly...general advice: Lube Lock Cylinder with Tri-Flow, and mechanism with a good non-hardening, non-migrating grease like Synth-lube.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
My only advice is to echo Ron - take pictures. Lots of pictures from every angle even though you aren't sure why you need them. Digital photos don't cost anything other than the time to take them. Saved my sorry ass on more than a couple of times during re assembly.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Related query, but not to the actual latch - any recommendations as to the appropriate tool to remove the chrome bolt head that secures the hatch gas strut to the glass on the outside? In the above diagram, its right above part#S143VO. It's got two holes that I imagine I could jam a pair of needle nose pliers in if I was really looking to be Mickey Mouse, but if this is a good reason top buy a new tool.... Thx in advance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts