SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started restoring my 1970 1800E at the end of October and am in the process of sourcing some interior components. I have never driven a vintage volvo as mine was not running before we started disassembling, so I am wondering about steering wheel options. I am going to replace the steering wheel with a classic wood Moto-Lita or Momo wheel and was thinking of going to 14 inches. What can I expect the handling to be like with a slightly smaller steering wheel if I go with poly bushings, perhaps a larger front anti-sway and 195/65 15" tires? It's been years since I've driven a car with non power assisted steering car so I don't recall how much effort is required at slow speeds but what I was wondering is if my wife would be able to park it?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
With 195 tires and a 14" steering wheel, steering during parking is definitely going to be on the heavy side. My 142 has a 14" steering wheel and 185 tires and it is a hassle to park. Just fine once it is moving.

Unless your wife weight lifts at the gym, I expect that she is not going to enjoy it. There are electric power steering kits available for the 1800.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My initial thought was to go with 15" but I've read some thoughts saying that 14" handles much nicer on tight corners. As I'm aiming for a touring/semi daily driver it would probably make more sense to go with 15". Although it wouldn't be devastating if my wife found it too much to park although I do have to keep the approval of my budget in mind ;) ;) ;) Just kidding. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts