SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

As some might now I am restoring the 1966 1800 and posting about it into one thread but I have some questions that I need some help with.

Lighting:
I am hoping to switch out the 7'' round headlights to a more modern HID set up. Which 7'' round do you think would look best?

I am also updating the front marker/turn signals. These are a 3'' round and was wondering what everyone recommends. I have yet to find anything that I like in a 3'' round.

Re-Chrome:
Is it cheaper to have a part rechromed or is it better to just buy a new one?
Does anyone have any idea of where I can find a good chrome shop? I live in Missouri.

Gaskets and Seals:
Where do you buy your replacement seals and gaskets? I am needing everything from window seals to headlight seals and everything in between.

Thank you for your help everyone!

-Jon Reed

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Hello Everyone!

As some might now I am restoring the 1966 1800 and posting about it into one thread but I have some questions that I need some help with.

Lighting:
I am hoping to switch out the 7'' round headlights to a more modern HID set up. Which 7'' round do you think would look best?

I am also updating the front marker/turn signals. These are a 3'' round and was wondering what everyone recommends. I have yet to find anything that I like in a 3'' round.

Re-Chrome:
Is it cheaper to have a part rechromed or is it better to just buy a new one?
Does anyone have any idea of where I can find a good chrome shop? I live in Missouri.

Gaskets and Seals:
Where do you buy your replacement seals and gaskets? I am needing everything from window seals to headlight seals and everything in between.

Thank you for your help everyone!

-Jon Reed
Will the headlights be on a dedicated harness and separate relay/fuse?

The "rage" on turn signals is/was translucent white lens with amber bulb - you?

If the part to be rechromed is in good condition that's the cheapest route. New 1800 trim is VERY $$$! Used stuff on eBay is hit-n-miss.

Just about any 1800 part is available online somewhere in the www world but overseas ship can get $$$.

For starters try here...

http://www.irollmotors.com/oscom/

These folks in St. Louis...

http://www.stlplating.com/

...have a family plating business and you can mail stuff to them for rechroming but be sure to send large lots to hold down the costs.

George Dill

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well with the headlights I am not for sure. They will both have there separate ballasts and harnesses but I didn't think about it needed a new relay. Would the HID set up require a new wiring from bulb to battery to switches?

If I am able to do a HID conversion for the headlights I was hoping to get crystal lenses for both headlights and front markers/turn signals and would just use a simple amber bulb in them, hopefully.

the STL plating will be of great help! Thank you so much for the reference on them.

Thanks again George!

-Jon Reed

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also guess I could go with a clear lens assembly that still uses halogen bulbs but just get the "white light" halogen bulbs to put in them. That would avoid all the problems with re-wiring everything.

-Jon Reed

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
I also guess I could go with a clear lens assembly that still uses halogen bulbs but just get the "white light" halogen bulbs to put in them. That would avoid all the problems with re-wiring everything.

-Jon Reed
The goal here is to have excellent and reliable headlights which power from a separate relay for both high and low beams and flash. The easiest way to get this is a dedicated harness with bulb connectors that will handle long-term heat.

Considering the daytime cosmetics of headlight appearance gives a limited selection of round 7" headlights...

http://images.google.com/search?as_...=&biw=1536&bih=783&sei=Ht5PUMDJFc-mqQHv64G4DQ

...or so I thought.

George Dill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts