SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody swapped out another vehicles (or aftermarket) dash mounted ignition set, and switched to their key? I'm on my 4th ignition and door key. They always shear off at the hard 90 degree corner where the metal is super thin. Key blanks need to be ordered in, so I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to change the lock to another type.

Any experience?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
What most guys do is install a pushbutton starter switch. It is the spring resistance turning the key to the "start" position that wipes out the keys.
If you just turn it "on" and press the button to start the keys will last forever. And it still looks stock.
BTW what is your location?

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Has anybody swapped out another vehicles (or aftermarket) dash mounted ignition set, and switched to their key? I'm on my 4th ignition and door key. They always shear off at the hard 90 degree corner where the metal is super thin. Key blanks need to be ordered in, so I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to change the lock to another type.

Any experience?
Please confirm that your '66 P1800 has the original shielded cable with integrated coil/ignition switch.

If yes you will find Walrus3's recommendation the best direction to take.

Take a close look at the ignition switch on the car - is the tab where the shoulder of the key engages worn down?

If yes, you will always have broken key problems for this switch.

George Dill

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please confirm that your '66 P1800 has the original shielded cable with integrated coil/ignition switch.

If yes you will find Walrus3's recommendation the best direction to take.

Take a close look at the ignition switch on the car - is the tab where the shoulder of the key engages worn down?

If yes, you will always have broken key problems for this switch.

George Dill

Took a close look at the ignition switch and the tab that engages the shoulder of the key is rounded out, providing no support. I think I'll work up a cool solution that integrates a pushbutton switch, but for now I'm running around with some jumpers for the back of the switch in case I'm stranded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts