SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey R guys,

I just picked up a set of 18" Pegs to serve as winter wheels. It's time to teach the kids to ski, so I'll be doing weekend trips up to Tahoe if El Niño provides.

What's the best value rubber I can put on 'em? . My default plan is Bridgestone Blizzak WS80s if I can find them (winter tires in 18" are hard to find here in Cali, it seems).

Thanks,

Lev

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am running Bridgestone Blizzaks on my car. I have 245 40 18 I believe. It might be 45. Can't remember off the top of my head. Amazing tires. Car becomes a tank in the snow with them on.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,796 Posts
Either of the following tires can be purchased from Tire Rack and delivered to your door.
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32​
Dunlop SP Wintrer Sport 3D​

·
Registered
675 Posts
I would recommend using 225 width for winter

·
Registered
675 Posts
I use a 17" for the winter found some beaters on Craigslist for 300 bucks

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, y'all. I ordered Blizzak LM-32s in 235/40. Will let you know how that works out in the event we get some snow around here ;)

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,796 Posts
If you're going to Tahoe you will need chains.
That is incorrect. 4WD/AWD and snow tires is legal except when R3 conditions exist. Drivers are supposed to have traction devices in the car in R2 situations. Rarely are R2 and above conditions encountered going to/from the Tahoe area. Going to Yosemite is an entirely different matter. Expect chain controls to be in effect.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
General Altimax Arctics have better traction than blizzaks in the snow and ice, and they are half the price. I honestly hate blizzaks, I much prefer Dunlop SP winters to blizzaks for the price (they squirm too much compared to others, and are ice skates with too much snow), but General arctics are studdable and also come with more tread than the others. It's a very easy decision to make lol

Edit: I have tried them all. There are 4 cars in our driveway with winters, my car currently has the Dunlop SP winter sports, which are great, and two have blizzaks, and the performance difference is very noticeable between the two - dunlops being better.

I've also got some Firestone winter tires on my honda (which are cheaper than blizzaks) and they are pretty good, but they don't last more than 2 seasons - blizzaks will last 3 seasons at least, same with dunlops and generals.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
^ Which model Blizzak?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D as mentioned above. Or the 4D's... I ran the 3D's for several years on my R and other cars and switched to the 4D's last Winter. Love 'em. I looked into a set of Blizzaks' but could not find the version I wanted... they changed compounds.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's the car with Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32s on the freshly restored 18" Pegs. Going up to the mountains next week -- woot!

·
3,899 Posts
How are the lm32s? I have ws70s an always wondered about those.

·
Registered
829 Posts
How are the lm32s? I have ws70s an always wondered about those.
I've had the Lm-32's on my car for the past 2 winters and my dad has the ws-90 (may be ws-80 or ws-70 though) on his FWD s60, the WS tires are better in deep snow, but feel sloppy on dry corners where mine feel perfectly fine. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect reading the comparison of the two on tire rack. The LM-32's definitely seem to last a little longer than the WS'd on my dads car, but we both have put very many dry highway miles on them so far compared to city/town snow driving.

·
3,899 Posts
I've had the Lm-32's on my car for the past 2 winters and my dad has the ws-90 (may be ws-80 or ws-70 though) on his FWD s60, the WS tires are better in deep snow, but feel sloppy on dry corners where mine feel perfectly fine. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect reading the comparison of the two on tire rack. The LM-32's definitely seem to last a little longer than the WS'd on my dads car, but we both have put very many dry highway miles on them so far compared to city/town snow driving.
Great to know! I usually go through a good amount of deep snow every winter so I'll stick with the WS series.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's a clue Lev; why do you think 18" snow tires are hard to find ???

Dunno. Tried a few shops and it seemed like every one of them needed to special order them. This is the Bay Area so not a lot of demand for snow tires in general. In any event, Costco had them.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I really like the Dunlap 3D for my winter trips. I get the speed rating as I head out east and good traction we we hit snow back east. I run 17 pegs in the summer on the XC and 16 inch for winter

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK I was rude , trying to be funny.

The reason is because you should have bought 17" rims for winter tires.

The deal is you want to go with the most narrow snow tire you can fit on your car for best stopping, turning, and traction.

You made a mistake buying 18" wheels for winter tires.

16" rims would be even better, but they won't fit over the 4-pot calipers.

Now I feel bad for teasing you -- I applaud you teaching your kids to ski . Skiing is a cool, classy sport.
I agree that in the ideal world, I would put winter rubber on my stock 17" and put all-seasons on the 18"s. However, the 17" all seasons are quite new (less than 10K) so I want to get full value out of them. Maybe in a few years I'll have worn out both sets and wi then do it the right way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts