SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there folks, picked up my Fusion Red XC60 T8 just a couple weeks ago and we're totally loving it. The Mrs and I are looking forward to some serious road trips and off-road trips in 2019, so some real tires were the first order of business... Unlike the XC90s, as best I could tell all the 60s have the same brake rotors and calipers, so I was reasonably sure 18" wheels would fit and sure enough they did:

Funny how silly the stock 21"s look in comparison lol...FWIW those are MSW Type 49s, 18x8" with a +42mm offset, wearing 255/55-18 BFG A/T KO2s.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Those AT tires look amazing! I was pretty happy with the more aggressive look my winter tires gave my T8, but this is a whole new level!

I personally love the look of both the street tires and the ATs. Very different looks, but both are great.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I gotta think those are going to be pretty noisy!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
> I gotta think those are going to be pretty noisy!

Well, let's say it's not bad? :p
On most road surfaces it's no louder than the electric motor whine though obviously a different pitch, so yes it is noticeable. I doubt the actual DB level in the cabin changed, but will test that with a DB meter in due course...
If as the tires age they get louder, I do still have my 21s I can run and just save the 18" AT tires for snow and OR trips.

> The width going to be an issue or at the wheels on the 21" the same? You probably have the fender extensions?

No fender extensions or anything no, not at all required. The stock 21s are 255/40-21, and the 22s are 265/35-22, so 255/55-18s were not a problem from a tread width or tire diameter standpoint. The tire installers were a little worried that the more bulgy and knobby sidewalls might rub the upright, but it proved to clear okay.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
> The width going to be an issue or at the wheels on the 21" the same? You probably have the fender extensions?

No fender extensions or anything no, not at all required. The stock 21s are 255/40-21, and the 22s are 265/35-22, so 255/55-18s were not a problem from a tread width or tire diameter standpoint. The tire installers were a little worried that the more bulgy and knobby sidewalls might rub the upright, but it proved to clear okay.
The stock 21's (255) already have a small OEM fender lip extension in the wheel well. When installing 22's (265), the wheel well lip is removed and not reused (https://accessories.volvocars.com/I...n/Document/VCC-501548-2/en-us/XC60(18-)/2018).

Honestly, though, I'd run the 22" fender extensions with off-road tires. That tread will sling mud all over your car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>Link doesn't work but interesting, didn't realize those little plastic strips on the front arches are part of the 21" package, ty.[/QUOTE]

Oh wait, I see, interesting...the 21s have the little black plastic lip extension, while the 22s have what I presume are larger body colored extensions:
https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/XC60(1:cool:/Accessories/Document/VCC-510295/2019/T8%20AWD%20(Twin%20Engine)
https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/XC60(1:cool:/Accessories/Document/VCC-510284/2019/T8%20AWD%20(Twin%20Engine)

Need to go find pictures of those 22" extensions, might want to get those...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
That’s awesome! Nice Job:thumbup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Love it! How does it handle with the 18s both off and on road?

Did some off-roading on my stock 20’s last weekend up in Big Bear, CA. Got to test off-road mode on air suspension and it handled exceptionally; but I bet your setup would be much better. Got some funny looks from a couple of Jeep groups but we just smiled and waved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
On road traction is great but you can feel the tall tread blocks and sidewalls being a little squeamish if you push it hard, when turning at low speeds you can feel the blocks going thup thup thup on the pavement, and there certainly is a little bit of hum and mid to higher speeds (It's noticeable, but I doubt actually any louder than normal from a DB standpoint, will test that in due course).

Off road they were fantastic, did a 10 mile loop on the gravel road you see here in AWD Mode and the ESC never lit up even once. Ride when in full Off Road Mode is very stiff because the air springs are maxed out, but airing the tires down would help that a lot (I run them pretty high, 45PSI, helps reduce pavement hum).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't know how you made it work....
Wanted to install my 18" wheels with winter tires on my new 2019 and it was a no go. The rims barely cleared the caliper. Installer could not add the balancing weights on the wheels as those would hit the calipers. I am wondering if this is because I have the R-design and it may have different calipers ....

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Don't know how you made it work....
Wanted to install my 18" wheels with winter tires on my new 2019 and it was a no go. The rims barely cleared the caliper. Installer could not add the balancing weights on the wheels as those would hit the calipers. I am wondering if this is because I have the R-design and it may have different calipers ....
T6/T8 have the same rotor/caliper size.

I bought a cheap 18" alloy wheel (not rim) as a spare tire off TireRack and it barely (1/8") clears the caliper, but it works so I kept it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
T6/T8 have the same rotor/caliper size.

I bought a cheap 18" alloy wheel (not rim) as a spare tire off TireRack and it barely (1/8") clears the caliper, but it works so I kept it.
I had 18" wheels too. They worked perfectly on my XC60 2017. When mounted on the 2019 version without the balancing weights, they also cleared 1/8" from the calipers. Unless your wheels do not need balancing (hard to believe all 4 of them would not need it though....), I really didn't see how this could work. Now, don't get me wrong- I'm not saying it didn't work for you - it just didn't work for me, with my set of wheels. I even asked the tire shop to use thinner balancing weights, and even with those, they were rubbing against the calipers.
I personally think it would be a risk to drive this way as the caliper and wheel could get jammed and throw the car out of control. Had to order new 19" wheels...
I will be selling my 18" winter wheel set.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry folks, big pics, hope they tell 1,000 words:

So looks like even though the wheel weights on the face side of the wheel were stuck right there at the highest point of the rim surface they still don't conflict with the caliper.

YMMV...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had 18" wheels too. They worked perfectly on my XC60 2017. When mounted on the 2019 version without the balancing weights, they also cleared 1/8" from the calipers. Unless your wheels do not need balancing (hard to believe all 4 of them would not need it though....), I really didn't see how this could work. Now, don't get me wrong- I'm not saying it didn't work for you - it just didn't work for me, with my set of wheels. I even asked the tire shop to use thinner balancing weights, and even with those, they were rubbing against the calipers.
I personally think it would be a risk to drive this way as the caliper and wheel could get jammed and throw the car out of control. Had to order new 19" wheels...
I will be selling my 18" winter wheel set.
I got 19" wheels for 2018 XC60 T8 and the weights rubbed at first. Had the tire place re-balance them with the weights as far in as they could ( towards the center of the car). They no longer rubbed the calipers are only on the outside of the wheel.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The T8 has stricter restrictions because of the additional electrical engines. As to positioning the balancing weights further in the rim, I asked my installer to do it and they said they can't because that is not recommended/legal. Need someone to check the rotational physics on this to know if this is true or not ....
I am getting my 19" wheels next week, so they should work on a T6. Will post photos.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts