SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took advantage of the Volvo wheel rebate a year+ ago and installed 18" Titanium Pegs and PS2s last April (1 year ago). This was against the (ultimately wise) advice of JRL, as I live in an area (LI/NYC) renowned for its potholes. I really love the look of the 18" Pegs, and the handling conferred by the PS2s has erased most of the (PZer0-induced) ride issues I originally had with the car. I didn't buy any road hazard coverage because Volvo's plan isn't (or wasn't) offered in NY and I'd driven 50+ K miles in LI/NYC roads in 225/45s for years in two Audis and never lost one (due to a pothole, at least). I mounted Wintersport M3s on the original 17" Pegs, which have done nothing but serve reliably over two winters.

I put 6-7K miles on the PS2s with no problems until last October, when I noticed the first bubble. I lost another one the next month. That's 2 down. Recently my wife took the car and 3 kids to PA for 5 days (all tires were fine before she left). When I joined the family several days later, I noticed a (literally) golf ball-sized protrusion from the passenger side front tire (one of the originals). She'd probably been driving on it for days (!).

So, after a nearly sleepless night, it's decision time. I am still horrified by the thought of my wife blowing a tire with three kids in the back. Despite the almost $3K investment in 18" Pegs (I have 5) and PS2s (6 and counting) over the last year, I think it's time to go back to 17" wheels. Obviously this will entail spending some more $$$, so...

...anyone out there interested in trading some 17" Pegs for a set of 5 18" Titanium Pegs?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 18" PS2 woes (Johann)

Quote, originally posted by Johann »
Did you also go with JRL's way to low tire pressure recommendation?

No, I always kept them at a minimum of 39-40 psi. It worked well enough, for a short while. Remarkably, the badly bubbled (recent) one was still at 38.5 when I took it off.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Re: 18" PS2 woes (JRL)

I wonder if 235/40/18's are the wrong size for these cars despite what Volvo says...for the 18's, I think 235/45/18 or even 235/50/18 are the way to go. Do they have such size in 18" tires 8" wide?

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Your theory is incorrect anyway

No it isn't and your recommendation is dangerous. Specially when driving lower speeds.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: 18" PS2 woes (Johann)

Quote, originally posted by Johann »

No it isn't and your recommendation is dangerous. Specially when driving lower speeds.

We can agree to disagree

·
Registered
248 Posts

The Volvo dealer near my job offered an unbelievable deal. You can purchase protection for the rim and tire for $400 for the life of the tires!!!!!!!!! (up to 3/32 tread) I pounced on it considering that I went through 6 P Rossos and 4 rims before that. Since then I bought the PS2s and have had 2 go bad. But for $400, all I have to is drive the car to the dealer and they slap on a new tire. Best part, I didn't even have to buy the tires through them!!!
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: 18" PS2 woes (R Crazy)

I paid, well you really don't want to know,
but my coverage is for 4 years, unlimited miles and unlimited number of tires

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I have 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s (95Y) and no bubbles... the Pzero's that came on the car, 3 bubbled on me... I was glad to get rid of those.

I run 37.5psi all around, and check it very regularly.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: (djeuch)

I had a similar problem. Had a massive blowout last Fall and lost one PS2. Just hit a pothole (I drive into NYC a couple days a week) and bubbled a second. Have the snows on now as I try to make up my mind what to do. I have two with 13-14k and one with 4k and one DOA. I may replace all four and try the Goodyears even though I have the insurance through tire rack. Or I may bite the bullet and go to 17" wheels.

Who knows, tomorrow I'm going to the auto show so maybe a new car!

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (Stan the "R" Man)

Quote, originally posted by Stan the "R" Man »
I had a similar problem. Had a massive blowout last Fall and lost one PS2. Just hit a pothole (I drive into NYC a couple days a week) and bubbled a second. Have the snows on now as I try to make up my mind what to do. I have two with 13-14k and one with 4k and one DOA. I may replace all four and try the Goodyears even though I have the insurance through tire rack. Or I may bite the bullet and go to 17" wheels.

Who knows, tomorrow I'm going to the auto show so maybe a new car!

If you're going to drive in NYC, disable the 4C. Car will handle the bumps a LOT better. You might just end up saving a rim or a tire.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote, originally posted by R Crazy »
The Volvo dealer near my job offered an unbelievable deal. You can purchase protection for the rim and tire for $400 for the life of the tires!!!!!!!!! (up to 3/32 tread) I pounced on it considering that I went through 6 P Rossos and 4 rims before that. Since then I bought the PS2s and have had 2 go bad. But for $400, all I have to is drive the car to the dealer and they slap on a new tire. Best part, I didn't even have to buy the tires through them!!!
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

If that's the Volvocare deal it isn't available in NY or CA, or at least it wasn't last time I checked.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Re: 18" PS2 woes (Pelle Schultz)

JRL - why do you bother posting information if it's always... "I can't tell you" or "don't ask me how I got this." Message boards are to be a positive flow of communication not a means to promote how much more you think you than everyone else or inside information that you can't reveal details about. This is a great board but some of us are really bringing it down. Be positive. Think about it.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts

JRL - why do you bother posting information if it's always... "I can't tell you" or "don't ask me how I got this." Message boards are to be a positive flow of communication not a means to promote how much more you think you than everyone else or inside information that you can't reveal details about. This is a great board but some of us are really bringing it down. Be positive. Think about it.

Because those of us who have access to certain information are not supposed to be revealing that information, or its source, in any format. The fact that said information even exists on this board is due solely to a compassionate nature in wanting to inform the uninformed. To reveal such information is to take a HUGE legal risk that entails severe ramifications if information is revealed inappropriately.

Pretty clear, huh?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Here in western p.a. the tire and wheel warranties through Volvo care or easy care are $240.00. RETAIL.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Jealous?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts