SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance if this has been discussed - Please redirect.

I'm looking for experience here...

I have a 2006 XC70 with stock 215/65/16 Xenia rims (16x7") 49mm offset. I was recently given a set of S60R 18" Pegasus rims (18x8" 46 mm offset) with 235/40/18 tires. I'm considering getting new tires for these rims (235/50/18) and putting them on my cross country. I bolted them on as is just to test them and these seemed to fit without rubbing or clearance issues, and steering response was noticeably improved!

Questions:

1) Scrub radius will be positive with 235/50/18 tires due to height and offset, and will it be problematic or cause the car to become unstable at higher speeds?

2) Will this plus 2 upsize substantially wear my suspension? Or just affect the ride quality?

3) Will a side wall aspect of 50 adequately soak up bumps in the road to protect rims from pot holes?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Talking as a spouse of XC60's owner w/ 235/60-R18. Compared to 215/65-R16 the ride is very harsh, my butt feels every crack on the road. When the car and its suspension was new, driving around New England was painful: in like 3-4 hours all your entrails are beaten to death. This was always killing me: with all the suspension stiffness and harsh ride the car has a more severe body roll than my XC70 has :-o

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the experience with the xc60 tires. I never thought about 235/55/18 - it changes the rolling circumference just under 5% but would mute the bumps.

Anybody else have experience?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts