SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for 18 inch winter tires? Need a good combination of snow and wet/ice. Primarily driving in the southern ontario (K/W area)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Go for the best of the best: Nokian Hakkapeliitta R or 7.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If price comes into play I recommend the Cooper Weather-Master WSC. Put them on my wife's XC90 last year. I picked up a set of used 18's, powdercoated em and then put on the Coopers. Rides nice, quiet and smooth. Did great in the snow too!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I run 18" gilsvad nordfrodt 5s on my S80, very happy with them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My problem with Blizzaks is that only the top half has the magic coumpound, once half-way worn, the tires have an all-season compound.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
My problem with Blizzaks is that only the top half has the magic coumpound, once half-way worn, the tires have an all-season compound.
That is not a problem, that is reality. Once the tread of a winter tire wears down it doesnt have the winter grip. Bridgestone was kind enough to turn the bottom half of the tread into something you can get more mileage out of in the hot weather.

Yesterday we tossed out our michelin X-ice winter tires that we put on teh xc90 in the fall of 08, and used for the 08-09, 09-10, 10-11 winter season, and the very hot denver 11 and 12 summers for a total of 35,529 miles . thats a heck of a lot better than the two sets of turd pirellis the car came with that didnt grip as well as the michelins in the hot, cold, wet or dry, were noisier than the michelins, and cost more. I am a fan of michelins. all i need now is a little chemical x.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'll be on the Pirelli Ice and Snow's (N0) for the fourth winter this season. I prefer them to the Blizzak's and Hakkapeliitta's that drive all squishy. The Pirelli's are H rated. A lot of people seem to like the Nokian WR G2's but I just put them on our S70 and am not impressed, at least not yet, we'll see when it actually gets around to snowing here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts