SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there are a ton of threads where buried in 'em are people talking about what they're running for wheels/the specs of them. I've searched around and it so tedious to find people specs, and I know that people are always asking 'what wheels/specs are you running.

I'm getting closer to being able to get a new set of shoes and, even though 'every' site says that staggared fitments don't fit our S40/V50's - we all know they do cause a ton of guys have setups. I'm looking at a set of stagg'd 19's but my worry s are the tire clearance/rubbing and what not ... Being over in Germany, pretty much no wheel/tire shop will sell you something out of the stock sizes :( And the prices for decent shoes over here are ridiculous.

So I propose a thread where people post pics of their wheels with the following info:

- Wheels Size/Width
- Offset
- Tire Size(s)
- Coilovers/Drop Springs
- Rolled Fenders
- Any issues they're having (with pics) rubbing (inner fender/wheel well/etc)
- Clearances/Space due to mods

·
Registered
945 Posts
you should add

drop
rolled fenders

two things quite important to know

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Okay, I’ll play but just because I’m the first one and I know my setup isn’t that aggressive.
Plenty aggressive for me to feel comfortable though :)

. . . Plus you still should do your home work well! There’s more to it than meets the eye to feel comfortable with a specific setup ;)

Wheels: not staggered, all four imported from the UK to the US
18x8 - 5x108 – ET45 – 12kg (26lb) – not light but not worse than OEM in 17
I couldn't brake the bank and as crazy as it sounds I wanted to put more in the tires this time around.

Shoes: Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225x40 ZR18 92Y (note the load, I still wanted to be within spec to carry passengers and loads in my trunk) – best tires I’ve ever owned! :D Most expensive tires I’ve ever bought!!! :(

Setup:
FWD lowered on H&R springs and currently on OEM shocks. Planned to upgrade. Might raise the car a little :( oh well…

Front wheels flush with fenders
Rear wheels inset by 10 to 15mm from fender high point.

Has rubbed very slightly in the front (hardly noticeable)
Has rubbed more so in the rear going over bumps or with passenger in the back (not rolled but planned to do so to feel freer). With passengers that was kind of scary :p

End result:
Quite Happy!!! :D

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Wheel Brand: Tomason
Wheel Type: TN1
Wheels Size/Width: 8.5x19"
Offset: ET40
Tire Size: 225/35 R18 (Kumho KU39)
Coilovers/Drop Springs: Volvo drop springs (-20 mm)
Rolled Fenders: nope.
Any issues they're having (with pics) rubbing (inner fender/wheel well/etc): nope
Clearances/Space due to mods: front is quite tight, but still enough to pass a TÜV check up.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Hey TG,
Your car looks awesome! How do you like those Mich Pilot Super Sport's They are on a very short list of replacement tires.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Hey TG,
Your car looks awesome! How do you like those Mich Pilot Super Sport's They are on a very short list of replacement tires.
Thanks man!

I'll be honest I haven't owned that many true summer tires to give you an objective take on those tires but from my point of view these have been the best tires I’ve droved on. Quite sticky, very stable, very quiet, dampens the road quite nicely; very happy how they look on the wheels . . . to be honest I’d have a hard time finding anything wrong to say about them… So far wear has been quite even though I haven’t drove them long enough to tell :p

The best has been that owning a FWD I used to spin tires so easily during sudden acceleration from stop. These are my 4th tires set on this car and they are the first that I can actually take off and use the tune power without having to take the foot off the pedal, lol …

So when you say “They are on a very short list of replacement tires” do you mean for yourself or that Michelin is cancelling, recalling, or replacing them? I’m not aware of any issue with them…

edit
More on the tires: http://www.motortrend.com/features/...g_the_michelin_pilot_super_sport/viewall.html

I'm glad I spend quite some money on those tires vs. on the wheels. It feels so much better behind the wheel, I can enjoy driving the car that much more :D

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
For myself, no issues known, they get great reviews.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts