SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the time has finally come. I'm bringing the car in on Monday for the clutch job and timing belt. Somewhat mixed emotions about it...nervous and excited at the same time. I just hope they don't find anything else like axles or something that will need to be done as well...the bill will already be approaching $3,000 for all of this. Good news is that I'll be able to let you guys know if the S60R clutch will work in the S40 (I know one guy in South Africa did this swap, but no one else that I know of). Here's what will be installed:

S60R clutch kit (2006+)
S60R slave cylinder
Spec single mass flywheel from ViVA

Gonna have the tranny flushed out too at the same time and also have the rear main seal replaced.

Anyway, wish me luck :\

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Wow! Nice. Good luck. I thought the S60 had notoriously bad clutches. No?

Are you having an indy do this or dealer?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

Nope, the S60R clutches are pretty good. It's the slave cylinder failure that is the problem :mad:

I'm running the SMF from Viva with a OEM clutch and it's a nice set up. The revs build and fall really fast and there's an improved hold over stock. Just be prepared for some idle chatter and a little more noise when driving. A small price to pay for a very worthwhile upgrade.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
No, just notoriously leaky slave cylinders that leak onto the clutches and ruins them.
Ah, that's it. Well, a cool upgrade nonetheless!

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Plus the Timing Belt - Huge - get some Pic's

Viva's got some good stuff , and I have heard of S60 R's being Clutch Dropped at 4000 Rpm's Rips out stock Flywheel Clutch still Good ! ( Kids Out beating on Dad's R )
They caught Hell .

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Good luck!!! if all turns out well she will drive like the wind!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

According to George at ViVA, it was the slave vent hose that was faulty. They've revised the part and there is a new part number.

I'm getting it done at the dealership because I wanted the 2 year warranty on parts and labour.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I was going to ask about the ford focus rs or rs 500 clutch kit and slave cylinder, I think they are betterr made.....anybody knows :p ???

Anyways hope everything goes well with your car man, let us know what happens

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, the S60R clutches are pretty good. It's the slave cylinder failure that is the problem :mad:

I'm running the SMF from Viva with a OEM clutch and it's a nice set up. The revs build and fall really fast and there's an improved hold over stock. Just be prepared for some idle chatter and a little more noise when driving. A small price to pay for a very worthwhile upgrade.

Good luck!
Good to hear. I'm aware of the potential noises associated with the flywheel...and like you said, I think it's worth it in the end. My car shakes like a lawn tractor as it is due to the Vibratechnics torque mount, so I'll be fine :)

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
According to George at ViVA, it was the slave vent hose that was faulty. They've revised the part and there is a new part number.

I'm getting it done at the dealership because I wanted the 2 year warranty on parts and labour.
That's correct about the updated / improved slave.

I hope you've got a good dealership to work with. My dealership wanted two to three times the amount I got it done for at an indy, plus they wouldn't install an SMF. If anything goes bad, you'll know it right away. I'd find an indy that you trust to do the work for you, they should stand behind their work.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
there has been a good amount of people that have done this, so it will work

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's correct about the updated / improved slave.

I hope you've got a good dealership to work with. My dealership wanted two to three times the amount I got it done for at an indy, plus they wouldn't install an SMF. If anything goes bad, you'll know it right away. I'd find an indy that you trust to do the work for you, they should stand behind their work.
Actually, the dealer ended up giving me a pretty good deal on labour costs...in fact, it works out to be $5 less per hour than my indy guy. They also gave me 15% off of all parts and didn't put up a fuss at all about the flywheel. The indy guy I go to is too busy and jumps between jobs all day...so I've sort of lost confidence in him lately due to some absent-minded mistakes he made. It was fine on my 240, but I don't screw around with this car.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Noted. Thanks again, George. As usual, you are an invaluable resource to our community :)
Plus like a million!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Noted. Thanks again, George. As usual, you are an invaluable resource to our community :)
+1

you can say that again

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
My slave cylinder died this past week so I'm planning on going with the r clutch and Viva's SMF as well. I found your thread while researching my slave cylinder options, thanks for the info on the r unit being an option. I had funny ideas dancing around in my head about a possibly mechanical unit from an RS. The RS unit seems a little far fetched, but who knows? Thanks for the info and good luck. Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, so I had the clutch/flywheel/slave replaced and picked up the car today. It drove amazingly for the first 50 kms or so, then the pedal started feeling mushy at the top and I smelt a strange burning type smell. I turned around and started driving back toward the dealership...at this point, the clutch pedal was totally dead until almost at the floor. Anyone have any ideas on what could be the cause of this?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts