SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a CPO 2017 XC60 T6 with 40k miles and would like to changes the transmission fluid. I watched the FCPEuro video and it appears easy to do (no different than my other tranny changes). However, in the video they use a scanner to view the tranny fluid temp before setting the level. Has anyone changed their fluid without the scanner? If so, how did you do it? I was thinking about running through the gears then letting it run for 5-10 min and then set the level figuring it would be close to the 50-60c required. Thanks in advance for you help.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The idea is you warm it up to 60c and do drain/fill - by the time you're done and setting the level it's not lower than 50c. You have about 20-30 minutes depending on ambient temps in my experience.

BTW, I have a scanner (Car Scanner app) and it takes about 30 minutes of local driving to get atf to 60c, again depending on ambient temps.

·
Registered
13,976 Posts
It does take awhile to get the transmission fluid up to the correct temperature. For me when I changed mine the other week it was probably 20 minutes of the car sitting in the garage.

Other issue of doing this work without VIDA is the inability to reset the fluid counter, if that's important to you.

·
Registered
801 Posts
It does take awhile to get the transmission fluid up to the correct temperature. For me when I changed mine the other week it was probably 20 minutes of the car sitting in the garage.

Other issue of doing this work without VIDA is the inability to reset the fluid counter, if that's important to you.
I recently purchased a CPO 2017 XC60 T6 with 40k miles and would like to changes the transmission fluid. I watched the FCPEuro video and it appears easy to do (no different than my other tranny changes). However, in the video they use a scanner to view the tranny fluid temp before setting the level. Has anyone changed their fluid without the scanner? If so, how did you do it? I was thinking about running through the gears then letting it run for 5-10 min and then set the level figuring it would be close to the 50-60c required. Thanks in advance for you help.
I have never heard of anybody doing this without a scanner, cause you need it for two things.
1) View the temperature
2) Reset the trans fluid clock/counter

If it were me, I would book the car into the dealer for the middle of the day/afternoon, and have it in for fluid level check and counter reset. On the day it goes in, I would change the fluid in the morning, and then drive it over to the dealer for the appointement, and they could do the rest.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use an infrared thermometer to check the temperature of the transmission housing. Try it in 3-4 places. If they are all close to 50, or just over, I think there is no chance the fluid in the transmission is too cold, or too hot, for the level check. I'm interested to hear what people think, though.

Last time I did this, I also checked the temperature of the coolant as the car was warming up after a drain and fill. It exceeded 70 degrees before the transmission got up to 50 degrees, so I think the ATF oil cooler is doing more warming than cooling until the transmission is really driven :).

There is a lot of debate on whether or not the fluid change counter is useful.

·
Registered
2012 XC60 3.2
23 Posts
My car is 12 XC60. I partially changed the transmission fluid so only 40% old fluids remaining. It shifts much smoothly during acceleration especially in the winter. I don't trust the transmision fluid is life time. There's metal shaving in it. It was pitch dark with a hint of red. I also don't think it's a good idea to change it 100% because my car is high mileage with close to 130k miles. Completely change the fluid risk transmisison slipping.

The way I did it was simple. I used Mityvac and put in a hose in the fill hole on the top of the transmission. It's hard to put the hose in. There's something in the way. But it's possible to push in the hose at a angle to the side.
Each time, I was able to extract 2.6L fluid. Then I measure the weight of the fluid e.g. in grams then put back the same weight of new fluid in. Note the hot fluid and cold fluid have slightly different volume so go by weight is more accurate. I got this weighting idea from other forums. Total fluid volume is 7L. So 100% - 2.6/7 = 63% old fluid remained. I drove for few months and extracted second time. So 63%X63% = 40% old fluids after 2 extractions.

This method doesn't need VIDA, DICE and It's much easier.
if you can't extract from top, you can still drain at the bottom and measure the weight and replace new fluid with the same weight.

Note the fill plug on the top of transmission is a Torx 55 for 2012 XC60. Not sure if it's the same for 2017.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts