SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do most people prefer on their cars? Is there a huge difference in the ride and handling characteristics with the S60R MT between the 17 and 18 inch wheels? The S60R I'm looking at now has the 18s. I'll probably be leasing the car and don't want to buy one set for summer and one for winter. I already know I'll be replacing the original pirellis since they're absolute crap.

Is the extra $1000 really worth it to get the 18" wheels? If I got the 17s, I could get a good all season tire which would work well for our climate in central Indiana. Plus I've got an AWD wagon if it gets real bad. But I'm sure the S60R with decent 17" tires would do just fine. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: 17" vs. 18" wheels on the R (soledoc)

For brake cooling the 18" are better.

All other I don't think the difference will be noticed that much, 17" a bit more comfortable I guess.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Re: 17" vs. 18" wheels on the R (Johann)

All I know is that the 18" are supposed to be more prone to bending than the 17's...and even with the 17's I bent 3 of them this winter thanks to potholes.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have opted for the 18's, but would have gotten winter wheels until pothole season is over.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

18" Pirellis are glass slippers. Be prepared for regular snake-bite flats if you have any potholes or rough roads on your daily drive.

I had three until I switched to Michelin Pilot A/S -- and then none.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Re: 17" vs. 18" wheels on the R (StaggRLee)

In a perfect world, you'd run 18's in Summer w/performance Summer tires, and 17's in winter with dedicated winter tires. IMO...

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

Something seems off if the 18's are a 1G option if you don't also get the 17's as well. You can get 18 pegs around the $300ea. mark from a few places.
18's do feel a bit better, most get the car with the 17's and get whatever 18" their heart desires.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: 17" vs. 18" wheels on the R (vintagemilano)

Quote, originally posted by vintagemilano »
Something seems off if the 18's are a 1G option if you don't also get the 17's as well. You can get 18 pegs around the $300ea. mark from a few places.

18" Pegs were $240 a piece at ViVA performance.

I would get the 17s and then buy aftermarket 18" wheels,

You can get lighter weight wheels (18" Pegs weigh 28 lbs a piece) like SSW T-Rex, OZ Ultraleggera, Ronal R41, Evolve R5, keep the $1K and sell your 17" wheels/tires to cover the difference.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Re: 17" vs. 18" wheels on the R (Helmut Ranff)

Quote, originally posted by Helmut Ranff »
I guess I live in a perfect world http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
No, the perfect world is NEVER having to use 'winter' rubber

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Re: 17" vs. 18" wheels on the R ("R" Kelly)

I love any excuse to post pictures...

Here are a couple of pics of my 18" R41's. There are lighter wheels available, but I think these wheels look terrific on the R and provide for a slightly more aggressive stance. The wheels also do a nice job of showing off the dinner plate brakes. When the Rosso's reached 20K miles, I shelled out $800 for the new R41's (thanks Scott!) and I still have the original Pegs to use for... hmmm... garage art?

According to my rather crude measuring technique (weighing myself with the wheel, then without) the R41's are approximately 24 lbs. apiece versus 28 lbs. for the same diameter Peg. I would swear I can feel the difference when accelerating, but I'm afraid the switch to all-season tires countered any real performance gains.

- Tryg

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Re: 17" vs. 18" wheels on the R (Helmut Ranff)

Quote, originally posted by Helmut Ranff »
I guess I live in a perfect world http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

No perfect world without money. someone please give me 2G so i can get some 17's.

·
Registered
633 Posts

I personally like the 18's a lot more on the R. The 17's just seem to lack something. By itself, the 17's don't look bad mind you.
But, once you park next to a car with 18's, it is a difference between nice and MAN, those wheels look nice!

However, R Kelly had a great post in here about how you are better off saving the $1000 by getting the 17's, and then spending that money on a lighter 18" variant.

However, if you are like me (I have another vehicle for winter time use), the 18" Pegs in graphite is one of the best looking wheels out there! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts

Quote, originally posted by StaggRLee »
I had three until I switched to Michelin Pilot A/S -- and then none.

Kevlar belts. Great tire btw (I have 4).

Tom.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Re: 17" vs. 18" wheels on the R (RainyS60R)

Where did you buy the R41's 18", and how much were they? What tires are you running, and what size?

·
Registered
51 Posts

I agree. The 18" Pirellis are prone to flats (make sure you get the tire insurance because if you are looking at a lease which I am absolutely against these days) the stock tires are about $350.00 a piece.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: 17" vs. 18" wheels on the R (zlar007)

Why are you absolutely against a lease zlar 007? I'm leaning toward the 17" and replacing the stock tires with a good all season tire like the Avon Tech M550 which I have been very happy with on my T5.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: 17" vs. 18" wheels on the R (RainyS60R)

Quote, originally posted by RainyS60R »
I love any excuse to post pictures...

Here are a couple of pics of my 18" R41's. There are lighter wheels available, but I think these wheels look terrific on the R and provide for a slightly more aggressive stance. The wheels also do a nice job of showing off the dinner plate brakes. When the Rosso's reached 20K miles, I shelled out $800 for the new R41's (thanks Scott!) and I still have the original Pegs to use for... hmmm... garage art?

- Tryg

Ah ha! You're the one that beat me to it. I had contacted Scott 40 min. after you had secured the deal with him.

They do look great on your R and on any Volvo for that matter IMHO, the fact that the spoke goes all the way to the tip of the rim makes them look even bigger.

Short Circuit Ronal wheels had a very weird deal going on until end of April (contact Gary) maybe you can still get in on it? They are selling them for 700$ + 80$ for the silver Volvo caps but you must trade in 16" wheels or bigger (no matter what condition the wheels might be) for this price, regular price is 1200$.

Scott at IPD was a very nice guy to deal with BTW http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

I ended up getting 18" Atlantis wheels for my XC70 new for 550$ couldn't pass it up!

Later,

·
Registered
51 Posts

I hate leases because of the numbers game dealers will play with you re: factoring, residuals, miles, conditions, etc. You also don't have the freedom to do with your car what you want.

For example, my G35 is leased and the dealers here in town have basically told me that I am welcome to upgrade / mod it / but I will be responsible for everything done to the car, and even if the car is made more powerful, customized, etc., I can expect to get dinged for it at the end of the lease term if I don't buy the vehicle.

The G35 was my first and last lease! My monthly payment on my 2004 G35 is $547.00 per month, while my 2005 S60R (much nicer and more expensive
) is only $30.00 more per month for a purchase.

Not to mention, life happens. So when you should get rid of some extra monthly expenses because you have a bunch of kids in a short period of time, you can either pay the turn in fee, get hosed on Leasetrader.com, or stick out the term of the lease. I don't like any of those options, but now I am stuck with them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.