SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

any of you experience both 17 and 18" rims on our c70s and have a preference? 18" too harsh? higher rim damage risk? better handling?

considering going from 17" to 18"....

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have 18" Midir Cs for summer and 18" Mirzams for winter but have driven other C70s with the "regular" 17" Sironas. There is definitely a ride quality difference, but it is not huge. The aspect ratio difference is not that large (45 on the 17s vs. 40 on the 18s) but I was surprised how the ride is somewhat harsher with the 18s. But, in return you get another half inch of width (17x7.5 vs 18x8) which should be able to accommodate a wider tire (note that the factory 17" and 18" setups both come with 235 tires; 235/45-17 vs 235/40-18).

Another thread has a member (hap) that went to a slightly wider tire on the 18s (245 vs 235) which should improve handling but will introduce some speedometer error (1.2% too slow per an online calculator, probably not enough to worry about).

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for sharing your experience. i like the looks of the 18" rims but just feared giving up the comfort of the 17" and resistance to denting on the potholed streets here in los angeles.

when i went from oem 16 to 17" rims on my subaru, the ride definitely became harsher. handled great/better but definitely noticed the bumps in the road more.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have gone from 17 to 18 to 19. The ride is firmer, but this car handles so "heavy" anyway I would not call it harsh. That is subjective ... definetly dodge the potholes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i am on the 18" Midir's and they have a noticeable ride firmness. doubt i would try and roll anything larger than 18"s on this car. too much of a risk of rim damage on anything larger, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@quickbrick, wow, really 19"? same 235 size? that must be one narrow profile tire.

i'm going to stick with 17".

part of the draw of 18" was just to have different looking rims, like maybe midirs -- they look great i think, as much as i like my stock sadirs i think they're called?

but as i drive the car more, i'm getting more comfortable driving the c70 aggressively and the 17"s perform quite well, while at the same time, provide good comfort.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi, I have 235/40/18 Mirzam summers and 235/45/17 winters. I was so glad to have put the winters on Saturday as Monday we got a surprise (to the weatherman) snow storm. The summers definitly ride a little harder but also handle a whole lot better. The winters (Blizzack LM25) do have a smother ride. I have gone 5 seasons with the winters and 2 sets of summers - go figuire. The Pirellis OEM worn out in 12K and were bad in the rain. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
definitely making me re-consider 18" -- what i want is to improve the handling of the c70 a bit and if 18" help, i may be willing to settle for a slightly firmer ride.

i PM'd you but will ask you publically too -- with all the mods you've made, which improved your c70s handling most? i'm trying ot go for more road feel handling and less body roll.

thanks!

·
Registered
506 Posts
The 18s and the rear bar have been the best buys for handling. Did the end links because I got the treded clunk in the front.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
@quickbrick, wow, really 19"? same 235 size? that must be one narrow profile tire.

i'm going to stick with 17".

part of the draw of 18" was just to have different looking rims, like maybe midirs -- they look great i think, as much as i like my stock sadirs i think they're called?

but as i drive the car more, i'm getting more comfortable driving the c70 aggressively and the 17"s perform quite well, while at the same time, provide good comfort.
235/35/19 ...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
after i upgrade the suspension, i think i'll be ready to upgrade the wheels/rims to 18".

an improved suspension hopefully will improve the bump absorption and minimize the harshness of lower profile tires on a larger wheel. leaning towards mirzam or midirs or 18" version of quickbricks tsw's

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
There are loads and loads of good 18" options out there. Look at photos of cars with the desired wheels mounted. This is what I did and often the picture of just a wheel may or may not look so good mounted on a car. If you are looking for something sporty, elegant, or in between it is always good to see some mounted to ensure they have the vibe you are looking for. I also recommend doing a few photoshops if you have a couple pics of your car and some remedial PS skills ;) .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts