SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been through the couple of wheel offset threads. Ive read everyones opinions and listened to the experiences. Ive decided that that Im not going to buy a wheel that has more then 6 or 7mm difference at the most from the stock Scotias. There is one other thing I am looking for in a wheel now.... similar weight to whats on it now (which may be a lost cause in aftermarket wheels). Since the Scotias are a part of a wheel/suspension upgrade, I am curious now as to what the Scotias weigh? That way I can get an idea of how close I can get with aftermarket wheels. Ive read the wheel weight posts and havent seen any numbers for Scotias... you're help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Re: 17" Scotia Wheel Weight?? (cbeerxx)

cbeerxx, this does not answer your question at all, but here's a few other numbers of interest...

Sculptor 17x7 : 22 pounds
R5 17x7.5 from Evolve: 18 pounds
R9 from Ronal 17x8: 22 pounds
17x8 Pegasus: 25 pounds (my own choice: 6.5 mm offset difference)
18x8 OZ wheel from tirerack: 23.something pounds (< 24)
Heico Volution X 18x8: 29 pounds, if I remember

You are hitting on a good issue. My main concern going to Pegasus is the 3 pound per wheel increase.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 17" Scotia Wheel Weight?? (bassman)

Thanks for the numbers http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

The Sculptors came with the DSTC upgrade for 04.5 and 05 models right? If thats so, then Im assuming the Scotias are the same weight because if the suspension hasnt changed from 05 to 06 then the Scotias shuold weigh the same as the Sculptors. (At least that would be the logical thing to do)

So 22 lbs it is! lol I would still like to know the real weight though....

·
Registered
247 Posts

Quote, originally posted by cbeerxx »

The Sculptors came with the DSTC upgrade for 04.5 and 05 models right? If thats so, then Im assuming the Scotias are the same weight because if the suspension hasnt changed from 05 to 06 then the Scotias shuold weigh the same as the Sculptors. (At least that would be the logical thing to do)

I'm not sure about that, i have a 05 T-5 AWD the DSTC and i have 17 inch Sagattia's(sp). i'm not sure what they weigh but would also like to know

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 17" Scotia Wheel Weight?? (slo-vo)

I wonder if you have Saggittas because you are AWD. I am FWD.

Well I have a wheel picked out and one that I wish I could put on.

This is what I like and is within my standards for the Volvo: http://www.edgeracing.com/images/wheel/flik_hornet_(black)_angle_zoom.jpg

I would really like the Koblenz but the offset for 18x8 is only 33: http://www.edgeracing.com/Gallery/koblenz/

So let me get this straight. On the "dont care about longevity" level, I can put a spacer on the hub and make the Koblenz fit....

But on the "guna make it to 200k" level, the spacer will change where the weight sits on both the wheel and hub, potentially shortening the life of my suspension.... right?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Re: 17" Scotia Wheel Weight?? (slo-vo)

I think my 2006 V50 Sculptors came because I got the AWD with dynamic suspension, but did not get the dynamic trim package, or the premium package for that matter. They seem to include different wheels for different packages even though the wheels are all 17x7 (if you get 17 inch, that is). In the U.S., they all seem to come with Michelin A/S tires.

As far as weight down to the last decimal point: I would think the suspension is "tuned" well enough to weights plus or minus several pounds. You can get 18x7.5 inch wheel "upgrade" to Media or Medusa from Volvo itself, and I believe not much else changes in the suspension. So whether the new wheel is exactly 22 pounds, or 22 +/- 5 pounds, the suspension can probably handle it okay.

I don't know how much of a difference it would make (unless you're really attuned with a calibrating racing butt) in terms of ride and handling. I'm gonna take a bit of a risk going UP three pounds to 25 with 17x8 Pegasus. But other folks use Volution X, which seems to be a monster of a wheel, with success.

By the way, I mis-wrote. The Ronal wheel in question that's 22 pounds with 17x8 is not R-9. It's R-41. The R-41 replaces some older 5-spoke style called R-9, I believe.

R-41 from Ronal and R5 from Evolve are 42 mm offset (10.5 mm off stock).

As far as offset goes, with 33 mm you should not need a spacer. Lower offset pushes the wheel outwards. A spacer might be needed if the wheel is too HIGH of an offset but wider than stock. With 33, it's easier to fit the wheel. You may run into rubbing issue with the tire while turning into the fender if the wheel is THAT far out. I wouldn't go to that far of an offset. Alginment, wheel bearing life, steering feel - that seems like a huge change.

There are other topics on this forum on wheel offset / fitment.

By the way, tirerack has a bunch of 18x8 wheel options of pretty good weight. Most are 40 mm offset or higher. Our stock offset is 52.5 mm.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EDIT: holy poop.....Ive been searching for 5x112 wheels. Now wonder Ive found all of these great wheels....lol n/m on the Koblenz and Hornets....

Guess I should think about one car at a time...

·
Registered
7,600 Posts

Quote, originally posted by cbeerxx »

According to the Volvo spec. the Scotias are 11.8kg or 26 pounds!

UKMatt

·
Registered
161 Posts
Re: (V50_T5)

V50_T5, you are running 235/40/18??? That should raise your ride height by 0.2" from stock. Do you have any rubbing at any time w/+45mm offset?

Also, I want to run 225/40/18 tires on my V50. Should I get 18*8 or 18*8.5 rims? and what offset should those rims be in order not to rub. Do you have any pics of your ride?

TIA
~Andy

·
Registered
386 Posts
Re: 17" Scotia Wheel Weight?? (ukmatt)

Quote, originally posted by ukmatt »

According to the Volvo spec. the Scotias are 11.8kg or 26 pounds!

UKMatt

That's weird. This is taken from the same source that says 22 pounds for Sculptor? So much for precision engineering!

·
Registered
7,600 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bassman »

That's weird. This is taken from the same source that says 22 pounds for Sculptor? So much for precision engineering!

Yep - Sculptors list at 9.9kg or 21.8lbs.

I think the premise that the wheels need to be that closely matched or there will be significant impact on the suspension is false...

A Medusa weighs in at 11.8kg, a Clava is only 8.4kg... the little 15inch Acrux is only 7.5kg... I am guessing a few pounds in the wheel department isn't going to make that big of a difference...

UKMatt

·
Registered
386 Posts

I agree. I might have exaggerated in my comments on this particular topic. You can see I'm not too concerned with going to a 25 pound 17x8 Pegasus wheel. Lighter is better for handling from what I know, but I'm not skilled enough to be able to tell the difference, or capable enough to be able to wield the car so aggressively to make much difference.

Bassman

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote, originally posted by ukmatt »

Yep - Sculptors list at 9.9kg or 21.8lbs.

I think the premise that the wheels need to be that closely matched or there will be significant impact on the suspension is false...

A Medusa weighs in at 11.8kg, a Clava is only 8.4kg... the little 15inch Acrux is only 7.5kg... I am guessing a few pounds in the wheel department isn't going to make that big of a difference...

UKMatt

....Noted.

I probably wont worry about the weight difference anymore. I can't get to picky, and at some point I need to settle with a wheel.

Now I need to find a 18" tire/wheel package with not to bad of a offset difference for right about 1K. Gotta look good on black to....

p.s. thanks for the help guys. Havent found a better car enthusiast site yet!

·
Registered
386 Posts

Often wheels will run 300 or even 400 $ a piece, US dollar (like Heico's Volution X). Then again, some ASA wheels on tirerack are < 200 $. Pegasus 18x8 is around 240 $ or so (Pegasus is 46 mm offset compared to stock 52.5).

Tires - good ones - seem to be 150 $ a piece (like Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 or Bridgestone Potenza wxyz).

All the aftermarket wheels will probably come with a hubcentric ring so you don't need to worry about centering the wheel before tightening. Make sure, though, that the wheels do come with a ring. I'm having rings machined from commerically available ones for Pegasus 17x8 since it's NOT an aftermarket wheel. That's a subject for another topic on this form, though...

·
Registered
161 Posts

Maybe be a newbie question, but whats a hubcentric rim, and why do you need to center the rims?

I will install Evolve lowering springs (1.5" drop) and I'm worried about bigger rims rubbing. Stock offset is 52.5mm. If I want to run 225/40/18, what rim size and offset should I be looking for. Please note that I don't want any rubbing under any circustances (when the car is loaded and leaning in a turn).

On a sidenote, Volk Racing TE37s 16 x 7 rims are forged aluminum and weight in at 11.2lbs (yes lbs). I would imagine that a 18" rim would be close to 17lbs. Unsprung weight (contributed by a light rim) will increase not only handling because the suspension will react faster, but also braking and acceleration will increase.

Keep in mind, there is something known as centripidal force (sp) and if you upgrade from 17 to 18" rim, although the rim will be lighter, the moment of inirtia will be higher; which might hurt acceleration and braking. If you kept the rim diameter the same, you would notice a difference. (same goes for brake rotors). That being said, once you get upto speed, it is takes less force to keep a larger rim spinning, so you might see an increase of 0.2mpg

Please give some input about my question, and sorry to reiterate any known facts.

TIA,
~Andy

·
Registered
386 Posts
Re: 17" Scotia Wheel Weight?? (Andy's_V50)

A few posts concerning hubcentric rings.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=52199

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=53796

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=53733

The hole in the middle of a wheel may not be the exactly right size for your car. Aftermarket vendors make a larger hole so their wheel can fit on lots of cars. But the wheel needs to be well-centered, or else it will wobble and all kinds of other crappy things will happen with today's finely tuned suspensions. So you put a ring in the middle of the hole. From what I can tell (I'm not an expert), these rings will carry much less load than the bolts/studs, so they are useful mostly to center the wheel on the mating hub before tightening the nuts.

If you find a 17x8 Volk wheel with 5x108 holes with offset >= 42 mm, let us know!!! I don't think Volk came up in my search for wheels.

You're right: going to 18 is not a guaranteed improvement in handling. There's a lot of stuff on the web, including on this forum, about 17 versus 18 inch. I'm going with 17x8 (wider, but same overall tire sidewall height). Tire will be 225/45/17.

For 18 inch, 225/40/18 is good. As far as rubbing after lowering with new springs, some folks will say they have not had problems, others will say there are no guarantees, especially considering all scenarios.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.