SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering going with 17 inch tires and wheels to try to improve ride quality. My question is, anyone who has 17 inch wheels on their R, how is the ride as in comfort? I am not interested in cornering ability.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I recently went down to 17" with snow tires for the winter. It's hard to judge when comparing 18" to 17" with different tires. Ride was similar and noisy because of the snow tires. Oh well.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I am considering going with 17 inch tires and wheels to try to improve ride quality. My question is, anyone who has 17 inch wheels on their R, how is the ride as in comfort? I am not interested in cornering ability.

Does that mean your looking to get rid of your 18's :) ?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
17 and 18 are virtually the same. 16 is where you begin to get plush.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm running the 17" Pegs at 39 PSI. Not a whole lot of ride quality even in the comfort 4-C mode, just a whole lot of body roll. Much cheaper to replace the rubber, but you sacrifice a little street cred.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
We had oe 17s on wifes wagon, and eventually upgraded to 18s. 17s do ride softer, noticeably so, but not terrible by any means. She never bent a peg, whereas i bent a few 18 pegs on my sr.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ive got some Perfo's for sale looking for some pegs...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If 17's don't improve the ride much, Does any specific tire improve ride?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
If 17's don't improve the ride much, Does any specific tire improve ride?
The difference between 17s and 18s is noticeable on my VR.

I don't think different tires are going to make much of a difference at all with respect to the ride quality (however obviously noise and handling will be noticeably different with different tires).

The real question is, how much of your suspension system is still original?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Winter tires are softer and have softer side walls. If you want a soft ride, why do you have a sports sedan?
It's also a little odd that he indicates he doesn't care about cornering ability, but the mod list in his signature consists of track spec sways and TKI endlinks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm just tired of jarring my teeth every time I hit a pothole. I'm trying to figure out how to get a better ride. I love my R and would never think about trading for another car.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I'm just tired of jarring my teeth every time I hit a pothole. I'm trying to figure out how to get a better ride. I love my R and would never think about trading for another car.
I'll ask again, how much of your suspension system is still original?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have trac spec sways front and rear. Other than that everything is stock.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had TKI endlinks on, but I popped the bushing and started making bad sounds, so I put stock endlinks back on.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I have trac spec sways front and rear. Other than that everything is stock.
I apologize; my question wasn't clear.

I didn't intend to ask what suspension parts you have that are non-stock. What I was intending to ask was how many old/worn/original parts have you replaced, such as shocks, struts, control arms, etc. If everything is still original (other than the sways and endlinks), I would suggest spending some time inspecting the shocks and struts for leaks and all of the rubber bushings for wear and tear.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New driverside shock. replaced driverside lower control arm and bushings about a year ago. New shock bushings, bearings and seats both sides. I am getting ready to replace lower control arms and bushings both sides very soon.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
You should go get a T5.... But seriously, it's definitely more comfortable. It's not like drastic, but it's noticeable. I wouldn't go off spending over 1,000$ on wheels and tires though just for some comfort... It's not THAT big of a difference.

The difference between 17s and 18s is noticeable on my VR.

I don't think different tires are going to make much of a difference at all with respect to the ride quality (however obviously noise and handling will be noticeably different with different tires).

The real question is, how much of your suspension system is still original?

I just got the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's, the ride quality is significantly improved from the Pirelli Pzero Rosso's (OE tires)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts