SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally hit stage zero did not realize how bad the car was running very suprising how well these cars run with bad components was not building boost over 2lbs turned out replaced coolant temp sensor "had code for It." Car started boosting to stock levels instantly. Anyway car has all new front suspension trans shifting great with new Mobil 1. Engine leaks nothing anywhere that does not sound like much but I chased leaks after bad Pcv blew cam seals out... but anyway now that I have made it to stage zero the upgrade options are many. Vast is saying that to hit 290+ whp I will need intercooler greens 19t and water meth. car is getting 3in turboback regardless my question being a lpt car is it worth the extra money for wmi and 19t or is a 16t and blues and do88 going to be everything this car needs the difference in price for turbos is not much but being a daily I'm not sure about water meth I have done alot of reading on it and I would rather have it as a safeguard instead of requirement so without it tuned with wmi how does the car drive with a custom tune on 16t vs 19t as a daily does the 19 bog down the low end? big power numbers are great and all but how does an awd lpt respond.....so recap I'm at perfect stage zero already have talked to vast about custom tune have access to dyno to get tune really dialed in I am getting d088 and 3inturbo back getting fabbed as we speak but turbo and fuel system seems to be a tough choice and do you really need all of that just to hit 290hp sorry I'm used to v8 Chevy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any experiences with different setups is more than welcome. I just want to keep reliably as a daily thank you in advance for your time.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My personal opinion is that I don't think you will see much difference in reliability between a 19t vs 16t, green vs blue injectors. I currently run 19t, greens, do88, downpipe, rip kit, 2.5" turbo back, with a tune and the biggest threat to reliability (to me) is the heat generated in the engine bay. It has resulted in a few hoses splitting (1 being a PCV hose) and my coil wire harness is getting crispy.
I think the water meth injection would be for making power beyond 300-350whp. I don't have any experience with this so cannot comment, but it would likely help with lowering temps as well.
I daily my T5 as much as possible. And although my T5 is always needing some sort of maintenance, nothing really points back to any specific mod, other than the excessive heat.
Seems more like routine maintenance items for these old battle wagons, but perhaps this is accelerated by the mods.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My personal opinion is that I don't think you will see much difference in reliability between a 19t vs 16t, green vs blue injectors. I currently run 19t, greens, do88, downpipe, rip kit, 2.5" turbo back, with a tune and the biggest threat to reliability (to me) is the heat generated in the engine bay. It has resulted in a few hoses splitting (1 being a PCV hose) and my coil wire harness is getting crispy.
I think the water meth injection would be for making power beyond 300-350whp. I don't have any experience with this so cannot comment, but it would likely help with lowering temps as well.
I daily my T5 as much as possible. And although my T5 is always needing some sort of maintenance, nothing really points back to any specific mod, other than the excessive heat.
Seems more like routine maintenance items for these old battle wagons, but perhaps this is accelerated by the mods.
But how significant is the difference in power is it a moderate increase or pretty substantial 16t vs 19t

·
Registered
17,736 Posts
Hybrid k24. Full bolt ons.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,457 Posts
16t and call it good. Aaron is suggesting the wmi for the 19t because of the increased risk of engine damage from use of the 19t with <1999 engine management (widely documented over the years)--particularly with the higher-compression LPT engine you have. For a reliable daily, you will be happier with the 16t and Aaron's good tuning.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the info so your saying I could not "safely" take advantage of a 19t without wmi that helps me alot so it's pointless if your not taking it a step further my wife drives this car more than me and I cant take risk of it running out of water meth and detonating or her

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Secondly where is the best bang for buck as far as our tdo4hl's go. Ebay turbos kinda scare me but then I also see bad reviews on ard I know it has to be taken with a grain of salt because people ask to much of a turbo with a mbc and get greedy or not properly supported with mods etc. Etc is there a certain Ebay store that has better products not afraid to spend money on a good new one to avoid issues but I don't want to spend alot more for the same quality if that makes sense I do have a budget but I will wait longer for a better outcome.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
A rebuilt and balanced 16t by a reputable shop would be a good way to go. New is way more expensive.

·
Registered
17,736 Posts
16t and call it good. Aaron is suggesting the wmi for the 19t because of the increased risk of engine damage from use of the 19t with <1999 engine management (widely documented over the years)--particularly with the higher-compression LPT engine you have. For a reliable daily, you will be happier with the 16t and Aaron's good tuning.
Pretty much. 19t is a lot for a me4 car to control. However with advanced geometry, coil on plug and a good tcv setup it’s not a big deal. Usually the disaster is the MAF getting clipped causing a perceived no load issue then the ecu slams the wastegate for boost and the rods bend.

·
Registered
17,736 Posts
Secondly where is the best bang for buck as far as our tdo4hl's go. Ebay turbos kinda scare me but then I also see bad reviews on ard I know it has to be taken with a grain of salt because people ask to much of a turbo with a mbc and get greedy or not properly supported with mods etc. Etc is there a certain Ebay store that has better products not afraid to spend money on a good new one to avoid issues but I don't want to spend alot more for the same quality if that makes sense I do have a budget but I will wait longer for a better outcome.

Melett VSR balanced 16t core. $186 shipped from the UK.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So getting a low mileage pick and pull turbo and have it rebuilt. so your saying the 500 dollar Ebay ones are bad idea

·
Registered
573 Posts
But how significant is the difference in power is it a moderate increase or pretty substantial 16t vs 19t

I've never driven a 16t for comparison, but it looks like you have your answer.
But my T5 is considerably faster than my stock VR.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
His GLT with a 16t and Beust tuning will be plenty quick off the line.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for the replies. Without this forum I never would have got to stage 0

·
Registered
17,736 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts