SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this the part number that I need for a "straight" flange t16 upgrade on my 1997 "low pressure" 13g turbo?

49189-01350

My 13g turbo part number: 49189-01360

What is the part number for the 16t "angle" flange turbo?

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am looking at a bigger turbo (15g or 16t) for my 97 GLT that has an R ECU swapped in, is there any reason for concern with block stability before I move forward?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Bigger turbo means more power so you'll want to make sure you've done a complete Stage 0, which will include the intercooler hoses, or you'll start finding the extra pressure will tear apart weak components. It would help if you upgraded the downpipe, if not the whole exhaust system (IPD turboback, for example). Inspect your motor mounts and replace as necessary. Also look into an exhaust manifold from an R, or one stamped with "Japan" as they have better flow over the ones in the GLT.

If you really want to feel gobs of more power with the bigger turbo, upgrade those exhaust parts and look to replace the cams with those from an NA. Then you just need to make sure your transmission has good fluid and you have sticky tires! Having just installed a 16t with the IPD turboback and Stage 0, I can squeal the tires in a straight pull - something never done before. :) I didn't get the NA cams but the Japan exhust mani is on its way. I'm missing the reprogrammed ECU but it's a blast to see the improvement I've gotten so far. Torque reported a 0-60 time of 8.198 - not bad IMHO...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am getting an FMIC having a downpipe made and getting all silicone vacuum lines and radiator hoses. My main concern is whether or not the block is sleeved like the 2.3l and how it will hold up to all of this.

·
Registered
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo
128 Posts
I am getting an FMIC having a downpipe made and getting all silicone vacuum lines and radiator hoses. My main concern is whether or not the block is sleeved like the 2.3l and how it will hold up to all of this.
They person making the d/p are they taking orders?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts