SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
167k miles, 04VR, angle gear resealed by dealer at 90k, otherwise no issues or maintenance rearward of the AG.

Two weeks ago, a slight vibration when on-gas. A week ago, vibration and a cling clang noise. My local non-Volvo indy said, bad driveshaft, bad angle gear, but they wouldn't fix it. Car still able to drive, just a bit noisy. Found a Volvo-specific indy, this morning he said, angle gear bad, replace. Driveshaft, not sure.

This evening, driving to get dinner, suddenly get SUPER loud cling clang and BANG rhythmic noises. Car *barely* drive-able over 10MPH. Put the car on jackstands, angle gear output bearing has bit the dust. Angle gear to driveshaft coupling has at least 1" of vertical travel. Center carrier tight, rear connection only has normal movement.

Here's where I need your SwedeSmarts advice. Do I:
1. Spend an untold number of hours pulling the driveshaft, then drive it like normal, ordering an AG from Erie first thing.
-or-
2. Flatbed it to the indy from this morning, have the AG quick-shipped directly to him, rent a car for the several days until it's done.

From various threads (like this) I think it's safe to drive without the DS, but as the output shaft of the AG is always in motion and its bearing is bad, won't it be even noisier and unsafe, banging around without the DS to keep it partially aligned? This thread looks like a good resource to pulling the DS, but what's the point if it'll end up just as un-driveable? I think I might be up to pulling the DS and only burning half my arms on the exhaust, but pulling the AG is beyond me.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the words.

PS: Collar sleeve seems fine, no noise or movement and it still works. This AG failure appears to be collar-sleeve independent.
PPS: the more I've considered it, the less I think I need to flatbed it out tomorrow morning. Why? My Vovo-indy won't have the AG until Thursday or Friday, so what's the rush.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If I were you I would fix it myself. Just order the parts and fix it and don't drive it until it's done. I know time and knowledge come in to factor. But honestly these cars are fairly easy to work on. And I would 100% do collar sleeve while in there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
n23, do you want help dude? i can come over this weekend and you and i can knock it out if youd like.

EDIT: doesnt have to be this weekend i was just saying if you need help i can help :)

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. BaxtR I won't even have a replacement AG until next week, but I appreciate the offer. It's shipping now.
Maybe I'll do the collar too, we'll see what my accountant/wife says.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
okay man. if you need any help just holler!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts