SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Attention 2.4T owners with Mimas alloys!!! Quick question for ya...

What tire pressures are indicated on your fuel filler door for your 16" Mimas wheels wearing 205/55HR16's?

Why do I have to ask YOU?! I didn't custom-order my S60 2.4, I just took it off the lot. It had the MSRP crossed out in pen with "tire swap" written on it, and the price was adjusted accordingly. Apparently my car was built with 15-inchers and somebody, somewhere, wanted *those* rather than the 16-inchers. No problem for me, of course, because I wanted the Mimas wheels anyway. The owner's manual says check your fuel filler door for tire pressures, and obviously mine only lists the pressures for the 195/65HR15's it had when it was built.

Help, please! My ride (the two times I've driven it so far) was QUITE HARSH, jiggly, choppy!!! I checked the pressures when I got to work today (17 mile drive, top speed about 40, average speed around 30, total time 35 minutes), and they were at around 35 or 36 psi on all but my right rear, which was at a whopping 42! Eeek. They were NOT warm to the touch (I groped all over!), only *slightly* warmer than ambient, which was VERY cold.

P.S. My tires are Michelins, in case it makes a difference. Thank you, in advance, folks.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Lisa62:

Help, please! My ride (the two times I've driven it so far) was QUITE HARSH, jiggly, choppy!!! I checked the pressures when I got to work today (17 mile drive, top speed about 40, average speed around 30, total time 35 minutes), and they were at around 35 or 36 psi on all but my right rear, which was at a whopping 42! Eeek. They were NOT warm to the touch (I groped all over!), only *slightly* warmer than ambient, which was VERY cold.

P.S. My tires are Michelins, in case it makes a difference. Thank you, in advance, folks.
Lisa,

first of all, congrats on your new car! You finally own a Volvo!

I cannot believe that yur car had such overinflated tires! The MAXIMUM recommended pressure for these tires (under full load) is 38 psi. Volvo recommends (as "optional pressure") 29psi with 3 passengers, two in the front and one in the rear.

I think that might be a little low. Such reading may give you a very soft ride but may hurt, a bit, your gas mileage. We normally inflate these the tires found in the Mimas wheels anywhere from 30 to 32psi, MAX! So, take some air out of those tires and I am sure that you will see a big difference!

Yannis

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Yannis! Yes, I'm QUITE enthused... Call me crazy, but I could hardly sleep last night I was so geeked up about GETTING TO(rather than "having to") drive to work today in my shiny new S60!!! Ha ha ha. :)

I lowered them to around 32.5 to 33 psi before zipping out for some drive-through for lunch. I seemed better, but not by leaps and bounds. The car says it is 41 degrees out there, and it's cloudy, so the sun hadn't warmed the tires up much higher than 41 degrees, I suppose. I think I'll let a little more air out before I drive home, because it *is* so cold right now outside. (As it gets warmer this spring, and/or as I drive them around town, they'll have even higher pressures than their current "cold, undriven" pressures of 32-33, so I'll aim for 30-ish cold (resulting in maybe 32-ish while driving?).

Thanks, as always, for your continued support!!! P.S. Don't even get me going on the amount of gouging in/around the bolt holes on ALL FOUR wheels... My blood was BOILING. I had them replace the "worst" one (although ALL were horrifically damaged, IMHO). That's probably why THAT one was at 42 psi. I must not have been "prepped" like the others. But it sure was GOUGED like the others... Hope this doesn't cause me any bizarre rusting, dirt accumulation, etc. (Not to mention ulcers...ha ha ha.) I know, I know. It's just a *car*, for crying out loud, but it's mine, and the little 2mm or so gouges (usually only on 1 or 2 of the 5 bolts per wheel) still irk me. Just a little bit... I'm still enjoying it (the car, and the whole "experience" of getting it, driving it, etc.) THOROUGHLY!!!

Another P.S. I got the S60 "custom-fit" snow/mud mats. The fit is unbelievable!!! They hook right onto those little positioning posts. How COOL is that?!?! (Yup, hadn't had the keys in my hand 5 minutes and I was already "equpping" my new baby with goodies from the Parts Dept.!) :)

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Hahaha! It is cool to see someone so..."geeked up" (liked that) about their car!

33 is still kind of high; I would drfinitely lower that another 1 or 2 psi.

As far as the lug nuts...there are some sets that do rust prematurely. It is unfortunate but it happens. My car has over 17,700 miles and the lugs are in perfect shape. My demo, an S60AWD, has less than 1,800 miles and I just replaced them; they looked horrible! They should be replaced under warranty. Check with your Retailer.

Well, enjoy and best of luck!

Yannis

·
Registered
30 Posts
quote:

Hi. Attention 2.4T owners with Mimas alloys!!! Quick question for ya...

What tire pressures are indicated on your fuel filler door for your 16" Mimas wheels wearing 205/55HR16's?

29-38. I keep them roughly in the middle, 33-34, which is what my dealer said they put in. All seems well.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Lisa,
If you wheels were not in new condition when you picked up the car, you should insist that they be replaced. Don't let the dealer discount your desire. New is new. You were not purchasing a used car. Would you accept those same gouges in the paint?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lisa, I want to thank you for your post. It has made me check my tire pressure. I own a 2 week old S60 and I also felt a rough ride and (guess what?) my tires were also replaced at the dealer with Mimas 16" wheels. Well, I checked the tire pressure this morning and all tires were almost at 50 psi. I lowered the pressure to about 32-33 psi and WOW, what a difference. I love my new smooth ride and you´re partly responsible, thank you.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alan, FIFTY psi?! Geez! The difference in your ride must be like night and day compared to when they were at fifty!

I lowered all four to around 30 psi this morning (cold/undriven, with ambient temp in the mid-fifties Fahrenheit)...worked well. I should add that I rarely carry any type of load aside from a person or two, groceries, etc., so keeping them down on the lower side of the recommended range is my goal.

Why? Michigan roads are usually in a sorry state of disrepair, so unless you like your innards jiggled to death every time you drive, you aim for the softest ride you can get! I suppose there's a fine line between being low enough to have a nice, soft ride and being firm enough to prevent rim damage if/when you hit one of those inevitable potholes. There are potholes the size of your kitchen sink (and bigger!) all over the place. I swerved to avoid 2 *NEW* ones this morning (in addition to the 6 on my route I already know about, and which I make gentle steering maneuvers to avoid). To say the road surfaces on my commute to work are "bumpy" is a gross understatement. I know I'm going to sacrifice a little bit in fuel economy, but hey, it's all about trade-offs, right?!

Thanks to all of you who have provided input on this topic. I really appreciate your two cents! Alan, I'm glad to hear you, too, benefited from all this! Happy motoring...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Freeworld, as for my rims and their respective gouges, you are entirely correct. New is new! That's kind of the mindset I had when I picked it up, which is why I groused about the nicks in the first place. I don't want to be a pain in the rear, but on the flip-side, it's not my job to be polite and respectful and shy/quiet when they're MY darn rims, which I paid extra for and I'm the one looking at them all the time, cleaning them, etc.! The nicks, well...okay, they're on the small side, and totally not noticeable unless you really do look for them (and only if they're perfectly clean, which I HOPE is always the case, but you and I both know that that's simply not possible sometimes).

In monetary terms, it irks me because you could take a family of three or four out to dinner quite a few times for the price of just ONE of those rims. I paid for all FOUR, thank you very much, and it bothers me that some bozo somewhere quickly/carelessly applied them to the hubs. It wasn't at the dealership. The car appears to have arrived with this wheel/tire "swap" already on it, so I don't fault them (dealership) for it.

Here's what I'm currently thinking about the possibility of having them replaced... They called me this afternoon to do their "Hi, it's been a week, how do ya like your new car" bit, and I grudgingly admitted that I loved everything about it except the rims. They're not bothering me nearly as much, but I did admit that I was a bit "concerned" with taking home a brand new vehicle with nicks/gouges in the rims on day 1, you know. The salesperson said they'd take it up with management and get back to me.

BUT...my worry is that *IF* they agree to swap them, *SHOULD* I?! Probably sounds ludicrous to ya, but hear me out for a second, because there are some pros and cons to doing so. (For some owners I guess this would be a no-brainer. They'd do it in a heartbeat. I, on the other hand, have a few reasons why I'm not exactly salivating at the chance to have my rims replaced (again).) Here's why I'm kind of inclined to NOT accept an offer for a swap if one is made.

1) This is totally minor, but it's a 45 minute drive to (and then later from) the dealer. That's easy for most folks, but with a toddler in the back seat, things are rarely quick-n-easy. Also, I plan to use the dealer for normal service appts. and oil changes, and the thought of starting off on the wrong foot with the guys in service is a concern for me. Don't want to be thought of as "that darn PITA", seeing as how I'll be in and out of there every couple of months now-through-forever. (Nobody enjoys having their handiwork be insulted, and my displeasure with their use of impact wrenches will no doubt raise eyebrows back in service!)

2) Of bigger concern to me is this. Will they ruin the threads on the bolts, what with all the on-and-off action of the original wheel/tire swap, the one they replaced the day I picked it up, and now all four AGAIN?! Is it worth having them all replaced only to have similar nicks/gouges get on them at a later date when I'm in for service, rotation, etc.?

3) The nicks/gouges *are* small. My blood was boiling, yes, on day 1, but I must admit that my temper has subsided and they are really kind of "small-ish" gouges. They're THERE, mind you, but they are small by most standards. You'd have to be within 5 feet or so, I guess, to see them. I probably sound like a wuss to you, but they *are* bothering me a little less than they were day 1. Maybe it's just the brake dust covering things up, but I must admit that I don't mind them as much as I did on day 1.

4) Luckily for us, we have one of those torque wrenches where you can set and read off the torque as you tighten the nuts to spec., assuming you know what "spec." is for the lug nuts. I don't know how tight they should be, but I presume I could find out if I looked. (My hubby does this quite frequently with his "weekend driver" car that gets garaged all winter and is used for various track events in the summer. He's got a few different sets of rims/tires (some quite pricey!), changes them himself, and he'd be very, very careful with my/our S60 rims, naturally! He's suggested that maybe we can rotate them ourselves when the time comes to avoid butchery of any sort.

5) We are both a bit leery of "LETTING" them do anything else to my hubs, lug nuts, and rims. We are worried about them cross-threading the bolts, and any number of other things that might go wrong (premature rusting on bolts and/or lug nuts due to excessive on/off cycles, metal burrs being generated each time, etc.) due to all the activity taking place there at each hub.

Yup, at the moment I think I'm leaning toward the safest route (keeping things as they are) rather than the customer-is-always-right route. (Ralph Nader would be so ashamed of me. Ha ha.) Our leery-ness (is that even a word?) probably stems from the fact that we both work in the auto industry, and have heard more "anti-service" stories than I care to share here. I don't mean any disrespect to the folks in service. I just understand that since a vehicle doesn't belong to them, they're simply not as mindful of tiny things like gouges in rims as an actual owner would be. I'm inclined to just keep my rims as they are, because it's really not bothering me that much now. I *have* asked the salesperson to look into whether or not replacement (of the whole set) is even an option at this point (which I doubt, b/c I have 110 miles on the odo already). If replacement ends up being an option, then I'll consider whether or not I want to pony up to the "risks" associated with having them replaced.

Freeworld, thanks for your support of the "customer-is-always-right" mindset. You are correct in every way, and I'm certain that more than 60-70% of the folks reading this would side with you! At the moment, though, I think I'm leaning toward the bird in the hand vs. two in the bush mentality of safer/known = better (rather than introducing additional risks by going back for a new set -- if it's even offered). I don't know yet if replacement's even an option. We shall see...
Thanks for you comments!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Thanks to all of you who have provided input on this topic. I really appreciate your two cents!
Please, do not devalue my comments. They are always worth at least 3 cents.

As far as your concerns, with all due respect, the only one I see as a valid concern is the fact that you will be carrying around your toddler for this long drive to and from. Other than that, if they offer to swap them with another set (something that I would readily do in order to keep someone happy, as long as they were nice and polite!) do it in a heartbeat. Don't worry about "crossthreading" as you are dealing with people who take off and mount tens of wheels every day. That is their job. Now, if you had me doing this, then I can understand why you would be afraid...heck, I could even mount your new wheels inside out!

Yannis

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
Please, do not devalue my comments. They are always worth at least 3 cents.

Yannis

No way, Yannis...your comments are worth FAR more than that. Like maybe even a great big ol' nickel. Tee hee hee.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, well, like I said -- gotta wait and see if they even OFFER to do so. I *did* ask the question, so at least some small part of me is a tiny bit interested in getting a new "perfect" set!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oops - I have to amend that. The guido comment at the end of your post above knocked the average value of your input back down to 3 or so cents. (I proposed the nickel value *before* I read your post...)

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Oops - I have to amend that. The guido comment at the end of your post above knocked the average value of your input back down to 3 or so cents. (I proposed the nickel value *before* I read your post...)
GUIDO???

My last name is "Alatzas", not...ALATZANO!!! muahahahaha!

Yannis "guido" Alatzano

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yannis, another oops - I obviously didn't read your comment properly the first time I read it, hence my guido comment. My mistake. (Was in a hurry, you know...) Boy, and out with the guns you came!!! I've never seen a smilie like THAT, and nor have I ever seen a HUGE sinister laughing one! Anyway, your comments are always valid and appreciatated (as are the comments of every other person who responds to my posts, which will hopefully taper down soon as I resolve my "beginner's issues").

I really don't mean to be so vocal... It's just hard when you're a new owner. (I'm sure the other newbies agree!) You're discovering things about your car at lightning speed, and you're dying to get input from your fellow Volvo nuts, er, "enthusiasts", on issues you find, because you KNOW they've been there & done that, and probably know 10 times more than you do. (And you know they're lurking here at Swedespeed!) Promise I'll quiet down soon... Thanks, as always, for the input (worth at least a nickel - ha ha).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts