SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other evening on my home from work I got a bit spirited and decided to get after it on a long straight. I always keep the car in sport mode because comfort sucks. Usually I only hit 10 psi but this time I hit 15. I thought advanced was the only mode that allowes the car to go to 15 psi? Am I just making things up or what?

On a side note I removed the hood liner tonight and took the car for a quick drive. You can hear the turbo and blow off so much better. :D Why did I not do this sooner? Can anyone tell me any draw backs to doing this?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I drive mostly in sport and when I get on the throttle I get 15-17psi. No draw back, it is to lower sound from the engine bay and if your engine catches fire, which if it does a little bit of cloth isn't gonna save your engine lol if that happens just stop the car, get out and RUN! :D

·
Registered
998 Posts
AFAIK, it's 15 psi under WOT no matter what mode. Only diff is in Advanced mode, your throttle is more aggressive.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I really don't understand why everyone always drives in sport mode. Comfort definitely doesn't suck, and I do spirited driving pretty much continuously... I actually can't stand sport mode at all, it's extremely uncomfortable to me, might as well be in advanced mode.

On a side note, I feel bad for all of you who boost 10psi, it must really suck not getting what you paid for.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I really don't understand why everyone always drives in sport mode. Comfort definitely doesn't suck, and I do spirited driving pretty much continuously... I actually can't stand sport mode at all, it's extremely uncomfortable to me, might as well be in advanced mode.

On a side note, I feel bad for all of you who boost 10psi, it must really suck not getting what you paid for.
Maybe you need new shocks to go along with everything else wrong with your car? :D

Comfort is too "floaty" for me especially street/back road driving, Comfort is fine if I'm on the highway and on cruise control. My sport is a nice mix of comfort and advanced. Advanced gives me a really harsh ride when going down beaten road ways (If I hit a bump I get that crashing suspension feeling)

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I live in comfort mode until I want to take a tight turn. I have a friend who has a 2007 Subaru STI and his suspension feels like our advanced mode 100% of the time. He absolutely hates it and envies me because I have control over that.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you can get the sporty shift timing with the comfort suspension by just keeping the chassis setting in "comfort" and switching on the "sport" mode on your shifter. All the advanced mode does is force you to drive in sport mode with a stiff suspension. You actually have individual control of the shift timing without changing the chassis settings by using the "sport" button on your shifter.

I use "comfort" chassis setting with "sport" shift setting if I am on a long bumpy road because then you get the acceleration you want and the driveability you deserve.

Also, 15 psi should be the norm regardless of what mode you are in. I can't make sense why one mode would max you out at 10 psi. Sounds like the car is capable of 15 psi but your ECU for some reason only allows 10. Weird stuff.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Technically, stock is 14.7psi, not 15. ;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I live in comfort mode until I want to take a tight turn. I have a friend who has a 2007 Subaru STI and his suspension feels like our advanced mode 100% of the time. He absolutely hates it and envies me because I have control over that.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you can get the sporty shift timing with the comfort suspension by just keeping the chassis setting in "comfort" and switching on the "sport" mode on your shifter. All the advanced mode does is force you to drive in sport mode with a stiff suspension. You actually have individual control of the shift timing without changing the chassis settings by using the "sport" button on your shifter.

I use "comfort" chassis setting with "sport" shift setting if I am on a long bumpy road because then you get the acceleration you want and the driveability you deserve.

Also, 15 psi should be the norm regardless of what mode you are in. I can't make sense why one mode would max you out at 10 psi. Sounds like the car is capable of 15 psi but your ECU for some reason only allows 10. Weird stuff.

I believe that advanced also has a different throttle map, as does sport mode. I also heard something about ignition timing is advanced at idle for better acceleration (as opposed to the ecu reacting to your need for acceleration and then advancing it.)

Personally I hate my comfort setting because it's not only wobbly but as soon as I hit any bump it feels like I just ran over the grand canyon of potholes. Yes my suspension needs work.

EDIT: ...and the bump steer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Like Goldilocks and the three bears on this thread. Comforts is too soft, Advanced is too hard, Sport is just right.

I like Comfort for a long highway based trip but am in sport 90% of the time. The throttle mapping in Advanced is a little more aggressive.

Question for guys with the ARD or IPD tune? Is that throttle mapping difference in Advanced about the same, less, or more pronounced with those tunes?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
some R's have had the 1st and 2nd gears boost lower, while 3rd gear pulls full boost. Cant recall why this was, but if you were doing a long run versus other times (when you might have gone through 1st and 2nd gears) could just now notice it. Not the case for me, I see 15 (or 14.7 for the sticklers on here :) ) for a quick second in first gear, solid time in all other gears.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I drive in advanced all the time unless road conditions call for a softer ride.
Well, when you drive 1,200++ miles a month advanced mode gets really painful.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Advanced: when frisky
Sport: daily driving
Cushion: certain bridges to reduce the resonant bouncing or seriously horrible road surfaces. but i concur it feels like driving a boat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am in sport mode all the time. The only time I go to anything else is when I switch it to advanced when I drive up north to the mountains. Advanced is jaw shattering any other time ( i do need some suspension work though ) Also my car is a manual so I dont have to worry about the cut in power in 1st and 2nd and I dont have to "shift" into sport mode :) Thanks on the advice on my boost. Maybe I just need to put my foot all the way into it more often, lol.

On the side note about the hood liner I think I discovered that my CBV is going bad. I'm not sure but it sounds like I'm getting some compressor surge :( No bueno. So it looks like instead of doing my exhaust im gonna be doing a CBV upgrade. Any advice on what to go with?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
My breakdown:

Advanced - 90%
Sport - 10%
Panzy Mode - NEVER

I drive about 20,000 Miles a year.
You must have lots of smooth roads in your neck of the woods. Most roads around here are rough enough the Advanced is way to bumpy feeling plus it causes all sorts of rattles in the car to go crazy. Sport mode is comfortable and completely rattle-free.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
You must have lots of smooth roads in your neck of the woods. Most roads around here are rough enough the Advanced is way to bumpy feeling plus it causes all sorts of rattles in the car to go crazy. Sport mode is comfortable and completely rattle-free.
Rattles disappear with all the chassis braces ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts