SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although people have differing opinions and argue science both ways, I for one had good luck with this type of mod.

This is what I am doing:

Bought a good used box in order to cut off the section of pipe where the sensor mounts. I could have fabricated one from scratch but it is not worth the time. This section of pipe will be used to attach an RE - 0910 K and N conical filter.

I am going to integrate the factory fresh air duct from the radiator support, a cut out aluminum panel will work as a heat shield / box enclosure which will seal to hood and radiator support.

First I made a rough template from cardboard, then cut out a slightly larger version with tweaks to fit better. Once I remove the factory air box, I will finish cuts and bends with new filter laying in place. I was considering a cold air duct from the fender but really don't want to cut fender especially when there is a pretty direct duct from radiator support.

There is a large stud / nut in the area of the factory air box which I will use to secure a mounting brackey for the heat shield / box enclosure.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Factory air bleed flap on factory box. After cutting pipe, I used cookie wheel to grind then finish smoothly.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

namesake :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Once in place, corner will be cut for the filter to pass through, the arrows indicate that this will be cut lower on than panel than the top corner.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Nice work so far!! I did something very similar to this for my R, but made it out of aluminum sheeting, weatherstripping, and used an AEM dry filter. We had the option of running ducts from the fog lights on that car, as there was some room to work with, so we did that in addition to the main intake hose from the grill.

Following with interest...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
149 Posts