SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a bit about 17" wheel clearances and want to know definitively which offset and width of 17" wheels will clear the front brakes on the V60 so I can venture out in the snow.

I've seen that the 17" BBS SR wheels clear, but not much else. Not super concerned about the look of the wheels, more the functional fit and support for a dedicated winter tire setup.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
17 inch Pegs will fit over the Volvo P3 336mm front brakes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Guys,
I just picked up a V60 RD with the 19s. Since, it's almost winter and winter tires are mandatory in Quebec, Canada
I am looking to put a set of 17s for winter, do you think these tires size 235 / 45 / 17 are ok with this car? will it screw up my speedometer , abs..etc

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just threw on 17X7.5 Sparco Assetto Gara's with 225/50R-17 Pirelli Winter SottoZero 3's on my 2014 R-Design without any problems. I know my speedometer is about 1% off, but that is nothing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
so from 235 / 40 /19 to 235 / 45 / 17 as winter setup shouldn't be a problem? or I need to look for 235 / 50 /17 tires?
I had 18" wheels so that tire size worked for me. Here is a calculator you can use to see the speed difference: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Essentially you won't hurt anything by going smaller, but your speedometer will be off. To fix that you can take it to a dealership and have them program it for your tire size or you can find a 17" wheel and tire combo that closely matches your current 19" setup with the calculator and skip the dealer.

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
Good question. At a minimum you would need centering rings - going from a 65.1 hub bore on the older wheels to 63.4 for the newer cars. You would also have to compare the offset between the Canisto and Volans wheels with what you have right now. I have been doing a similar comparison with some Thor wheels I am thinking about putting into winter use and I think they would work for me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
15.5 V60RD Winter Setup (17")

I put 235-50-17 on my 2015v60r and took them off. Very spongy feel and not enough clearance near calipers (it did fit, but very tight!!). Went back to 235-45-18.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I put 235-50-17 on my 2015v60r and took them off. Very spongy feel and not enough clearance near calipers (it did fit, but very tight!!). Went back to 235-45-18.
I don't think the brake caliper clearance is that bad, but it may be wheel dependent. Here is the clearance on my 2014 R-Design with Sparco Assetto Gara's:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, I guess as long as it fits there is no issue, but it's tight. My problem was more with the tires (noise) and the spongy handling.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, I guess as long as it fits there is no issue, but it's tight. My problem was more with the tires (noise) and the spongy handling.
Agreed that the ride does get spongier than before. However, I prefer the softer ride during winter because that is when the roads get beat up and rough. I figure that the extra dampening of the sidewalls reduces some of the stress on the car and other components so I'm ok with the softer ride.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same train of thoughts, but felt the ride was just as stiff, but handling suffered greatly. I did have nokian hakka 8 tires fitted first, which are super soft, so that definitely had an impact. I switched to Michelin x-ice which are known to be less of a compromise in handling yet still provide excellent winter performance. Oh well, winter tire are a compromise, you just need to choose what you are willing to let go.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you truly don't car about how it looks, 17" steel wheels fit just fine.
Last winter, the local tire shop I deal with for winter tires got the wheels, TPMS and winter Contis mounted/balanced/installed for roughly $1200.

Having driven on 2 previous generations of Hakka Rs, the Conti winters are quieter and far less-spongy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts