SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two original seatbelts from 1970 which I am installing in a 142s.
The seller gave me several bags of parts with various labels. All the parts I am using came from a bag marked seatbelt attachments.
The main trouble I'm having is exactly how they are supposed to be affixed to the car. I know there are three points the belts attach, the upper bolt hole in the pillar and the lower mount point near the floor.
I'm fairly certain I have all the hardware necessary to put it on properly but I'm not sure how it is all supposed to fit.
https://imgur.com/a/rYm8cSX https://imgur.com/a/W2b2HUP
The first picture is of the Hardware I found. The second picture is how I think the top mount is supposed to fit.
I've looked around but I can't find any documentation about how the belts connect to the frame. Does anyone here have advice or guidelines to follow?

·
Registered
72 Posts
My Car is a 72. On top, starting from the B pillar I have a large metal washer, (a black plastic washer, the seat belt attachment, black plastic washer) all these over the metal sleeve, small metal washer and bolt head
On bottom starting from car metal (plastic washer, spring, seatbelt attachment) all these over metal sleeve, bolt head.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Here is the exploded parts diagram for the seat belt installation that matches up with my 1971. I think that long metal bushing (Volvo calls it a spacer tube) is part #12 and goes on the bottom mount. Part #13 is a small coil spring that goes behind the lower mount. The spring and long bushing helps to space the lower mount above the carpet so that it pivots easily to allow for the seat being positioned back and forth (Apico's first picture). There is a shorter metal 'spacer tube', part #6 on the top mount. That bushing has either gone missing on mine or is permanently stuck in the top piece because I don't remember it when I replaced my belts.

Part #7 on the upper mount is a washer that was used on the early 142. It was deleted after chassis number 178959, so depending on what year the donor car was it may or may not be in the parts bag. Part # 14 on the bottom and part #8 (two) are all the same part which should be the black plastic piece. One or more of them may have disappeared because they tend to wear and disintegrate if the seat belt is used a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
As an observation, the part number shown on your belt is 661190 which is not the correct part number for the 140 seat belts. I think it is the correct part number for the non retracting / fixed belts used in the P1800 up to about 1968. That is not to say that they won't work as a fixed belt in the 140; but, you might want to make sure that the length works out because I am a little suspicious that the belts for the 1800 might be a little shorter than the belts for the 140. Perhaps works OK for thin people with long legs?

Most (all??) of the North American market 140s received retractor style seat belts. Fixed seat belts were used in some markets (Europe and maybe some NA cars); but, the part number for that belt appears to be 681438.

If you originally had retractor style belts and are interested in replacing them with new retractor style belts, search back on the Swedespeed 140 forum about 4+ years back or so. There is a thread describing how to fit a rather easily available replacement retractor belt onto the 140 reusing the existing loops and seat belt buckle. The replacement looks exactly the same as the original except for the missing original Volvo tag which you could remove from the old belt and transplant to the new belt if you are doing a concours restoration. I've done this and at least one or two other Swedespede forum members have done this. The results are excellent. I sourced my replacement belts from a European vendor and they have TUV compliance so they are not junk.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much for the diagrams! I think that shows everything I'll need.
Your other comment about retractable versus fixed might be valid. The manual I have for the car says it is fitted with retracting ones but the belts themselves
say manufactured march 1970 which corresponds to the date listed on the car's information plate so I'm not sure what to trust.
I don't think I'll be replacing them but if I do I'll be sure to check out the other post you mentioned.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts