SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is probly a good question for towerymt.
my boss whants to race a 142, what year did they come out and when did that model end?is there a site were there is info on this model?also,we were thinking on racing a 242, he wanted to no if volvo projuced a 242 turbo? and what years did they come out?because we whant to race a turbo. now racing regulations permit this if volvo had projuced a factory 242 turbo anywere in the world.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No turbo on the 140 series, but definately a turbo on the 240. 240 turbo I believe came out in 82 not sure when it went away but might have been as early as 85 (the 740 took it's market (or at least that is the "official" reason
).
Have fun with what ever car you wind up racing (and there are racing parts (or at least perfomance parts) out there (might be more for the 140 even) Volvo's R-sport catalouge (if you can still get it for the early cars) is a good place to at least get some ideas of what was available from the factory. Good luck and have fun racing whichever car you get

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The 140 is usually the more popular choice between the two for racing because it's lighter and the front suspension is simple. A "142" has a B18A or B20A. A "142S" has a B18B or B20B. A "142E" has a B20F or B20E. That's what came from the factory, but after 30 years they could have almost any engine by now. The B18 engines were only used in '67 & '68, and the remainder of the 140 series got the B20.

The 242 Turbo was produced for the US in '81-'84. I don't know if it lasted longer than that in other parts of the world, but I know that there was no factory built right hand drive 240 Turbo.

There's lots of information about production stas and engines specs at www.volvoworld.com.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by devalmyth:
this is probly a good question for towerymt.
my boss whants to race a 142, what year did they come out and when did that model end?is there a site were there is info on this model?also,we were thinking on racing a 242, he wanted to no if volvo projuced a 242 turbo? and what years did they come out?because we whant to race a turbo. now racing regulations permit this if volvo had projuced a factory 242 turbo anywere in the world.

We have had, at work, for the last 5 years (we sold it to a collector 2 months ago) a 1982 242 Turbo, manual. We ended up spending close to $18,000 in upgrades (anything from body resotration to newer and bigger water-cooled turbocharger, race cat converter with custom-made exhaust system, turbp timer, bigger brakes, race-tuned suspension, etc.) and after all that we had a 242 Turbo that was dynoed at 248HP. Very neat car but it was also a very temperamental car.

Yannis

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
We have had, at work, for the last 5 years (we sold it to a collector 2 months ago) a 1982 242 Turbo, manual. We ended up spending close to $18,000 in upgrades (anything from body resotration to newer and bigger water-cooled turbocharger, race cat converter with custom-made exhaust system, turbp timer, bigger brakes, race-tuned suspension, etc.) and after all that we had a 242 Turbo that was dynoed at 248HP. Very neat car but it was also a very temperamental car.

Yannis

Do you have any pictures of it? Is that power at the wheels from a B21FT?

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Too bad you didn't let us know Yannis. I'd have come up and shot it.

If you do buy a turbo for racing, make sure to buy one with an intercooler. They're easy to retrofit, but depending on how strict the rules are, you may just want to buy one that had it from the factory.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey thanks heaps guys alot of info i can use.i think were going to race a 142. it seems to be more of a head turner rather than the 242.and as towerymt said there a simple car and sounds as thow they may have the cutting edge over the 242. but to race the 142 we cant run a turbo
. but this makes a good task for us to build a strong engine that performes like a turbo motor.were thinking of building the race engine out of a B23. we are thinking of ditching the injection set up and opting for a carb type setup. were not sure what type of carbs are going to be used.(most likely webers)if anyone can steer us in the right direction in this area it would be greatly apreiated.there are no restrions on power but it must be a 4 cylinder.Yannis it would be good to hear some more about that 242 it sounded a nice car.(and sounds like it eats road
)if you some pics it would be good..a spec sheet will come in handy when i restore my 242 if you have one.cant wait to start racing it will be fun(really fun when some one eles pays for it too)hehe. once agian the infomation use have surpled is priceless..thanks!

michael.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Another user, Volvorules (Rob), lives here in DC. He owns a car that he and his boss built (later he bought from his boss) that is an early 242 coupe. It's normally aspirated, but may have some developement on the motor you might be interested in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
check out vclassics.com for some general info on modding the original b20 motors (to 200 hp) without a turbo or supercharger. They don't have the final results yet, but it looks very interesting. Might at least give you some ideas, and places to look for performance goodies
. Have fun

1 - 13 of 13 Posts