SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While replacing the pads on my front brakes, I noticed that I had a slight amount of play in the left front wheel hub. You could hear a slight 'tick' as you pulled and pushed on the hub. So I popped the grease cap off to have a look. The castle not was not particularly tight so I did the procedure set out in the Volvo shop manual for adjusting the wheel bearings:

- tighten castle nut to 50 lb torque on the spindle
- back castle nut off 1/3 turn and insert cotter pin
- if slots in castle nut do not line up with hole in spindle, loosen castle nut until they do and insert cotter pin.

I followed this procedure and ended up just about exactly where I started! Same 'tick', 'tick' when pulling and pushing on the hub. I tightened the castle nut until the next slot lined up with the hole in spindle and inserted the cotter pin. This seemed to eliminate the play and still left me with a free spinning hub.

Has anybody else followed the Volvo procedure and ended up where I did? Anybody with any insight on a better way to do this?

·
Registered
59 Posts
You've just found it!!!! Almost 50 years ago in "auto tech" trade school . The method for all cars was to spin the wheel, tighten till it stops, back it off a half turn, test for loose/tight if good put the pin back in , if not adjust till it turns freely with no "tick". I know you get it from reading your posts.. it's old school......You' ve got it right it's cool ✌.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yes I've run into the same problem, I tighten it and then back off, then tighten it till the castle pin lines up, rather than loosen. Usually is nice and lightly preloaded with no play. If there's play I go another flat tighter. No play is the key I believe.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent - I appreciate the feedback.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Don't forget to check whether the axle has a second cotter pin hole 90 degrees off the one you're using. I don't remember if the 140 has them, but the 122 generally does. They get full of grease so it's not always obvious they're there.

If there is a second hole, you can use it to get a 30 degree adjustment by going effectively half-a-flat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts