SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys (any girls on some threads btw?)

Anybody knows if it would be a huge problem to install them or is it just a Plug-n-Play matter?

The price is out the roof for sure. (1000?) Love the "red-led-line" on them aiming for the roof. Dont want to spend money on a 14+ yet. Kids are expensive still. Its becoming a retrofit I can't seem to resist...

Must have missed a thread on this issue somewhere down the line? Or maybe not? When you find some time, let me know please.

[2011 XC70 D5 Polestar]

·
Registered
59 Posts
They fit, but need modification of the the electric to fit the new style of lighting with positionlights all the way to the top.
Stripping the inside of the tailgate can be a bit tricky as the plastic part sits tight and you need to use brute force to get them of so some spare clips might be a good idea as i broke three of them.
Then you have the screws with torxhead that hold the lightassembly uncovered so they can be removed and taillight replaced(Here is the time to put LED in the reversinglights). I did cut the breaklightcabel on the carside of the connector to the assembly and connected it to the numberplatelight on both side to get the positionlights that has the same terminal in the connector as breaklight had on older cars.
On the body you need to remove rear bumber to uncover a plastic bracket on each side that hold the assembely and hold bolts for the lower part of the assembly.
Three nuts is in the inside of the car, you find them in the same small hole you use when replace the indicatorlight. My big hand was in the way so it was more to do it by the feel and not see what i do.
Electricwice you now need to fix the breaklight on the body to always lit up and not only when tailgate is open as it was pre facelift, The way i did was i took the signal from the connector you find under the roof beside the light in the cargospace so by removing that center piece of hard plastic you see two connctors. The bigger one has on right hand side two wires go to one plug or same terminal from the carside, i took the signal from there on the tailgateside of the connector to get all signals for the breaklight and routed two new wires, one on each side down behind the plastyiccovers to the lightassembely on the body, connected to the new breaklightwire and keept the old one so i dont loose anything and they still lit up when open the tailgate. You can connect it to the trailermodulewiering under the floor of the cargospace and that shoud be there nomatter if car has towbar or not but for me that resulted is pulsating breaklight.
It took some time and is nothing you do in a rush and some wiering in the connector at the roof was just the same color so tracing breaksignal took me some time when it was not as easy to just find the color of the wire at the third breaklight in the rearwindow that i took signal from, but boy it is worth it and with rest of car outside MY14 facelifted excl. the chrometrim on the tailgate that i dont like or fit on a stripped and clean tailgate with no clutter of carmake model engine drivetrain etc that is masters in collects residue of paintprotection and polish so it was a needed project to make the facelift complete incl. DRL:s to replace the useless foglights and all pastic around DRL/reflex, skidplate front and rear to the new design. For me it was like 800€ for a new set of lights or 4-500€ from the scarpyard if i was to find any nice and lowmilage worth picking up.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This answer is the best one I've ever had! Very extensive and clear... Thank you so much... I will read it again and again and make my decision on it. Seems like a big and long operation.

Thank you so much it helps me to spend or not to spend money.

In the mean time I will replace my (lower) front bumper protector to MY14 (# 31353571) like I did on the back! Lights will be the last thing to retrofit. If it is gonna be too much (doing it at the dealer) I will just let it go. Looks nice, very nice but not at every cost. I am not a handy person, always depended on the dealer when it comes to dirty hands. Dirty hands are not good for my perforated leather btw .

Ciao amigo!

XC70 D5 Polestar

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nope, sorry it is not.
Here is my ride, kind of dirty but you can get the MY14 feeling on this MY08 D5 Polestar, Exhaust changed to the visable twinstyle from MY10+. Fitted with the Hakka8 studded on Cecino for wintertime, have 19" Erakir Diamondcut/TechMatt for the summer. One thing it dont show it the frontlip of the MY14 as it was the last item i fityted after pics was taken and i was bored to wait for the scrapyard to get a rearended MY14+ in with the front intact and low milage.
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy327/ER_101/DSC_0095.jpg
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy327/ER_101/DSC_0094.jpg

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You realy did alot of work... Looks nice, we have the same color. You de-badged it? Bet you need thoose front lights in Sweden? You dont like the aluminum strip do you? I had it but took it off again... With new tail led lights like yours perhaps its looks better.
Iphone 4S makes horrible pics:

I like badges

Yes I cant find the front lip anywhere 2nd hand! Not even ebay. You had 185HP (2008) and after Polestar? Gotta place the badge at least man! Nice to see the changes, r design mirror, still debating/not sure on that one. Depending on the price with labor I will put the lights on. For sure the front lip.. That one looks so less boring then the smooth one. Send me some pics with the big wheels. Gotta have the wing design roofbars.

Rgds from Holland

Tried both 16 XC90 caps... Went for the top ones... Clean. Not expensive but finish the rim much better

XC70 D5 Polestar

·
Registered
59 Posts
Most of the work was just remove and replace with OEM parts that fit 99-100% and mainpart of work was the taillights, even the OEM DRL was just plug and play.
Yes one of the first thing i always do on a car is remove any badge and stuff, it only collect residue of paintprotection that i have a habit to do every spring, polish and so on and is a pita to keep clean inside and around. I dont like the chromestrip/trim that sits on the tailgate, it also means i if i want it have to move the Volvo badge slightly up to make a 100% replicabesides drillig holes or cut the pins from the list. Also i should upgraded all badges on the rear to latest one as some differ and others dont.

It is 205HP with polestar and 450nm on the single turbo and all legal as the tuning is registred by the MOT and tranfered into the transportationregistry so anyone that look up my car will have their head spinning as to why it has 205/450 and not the usual 185/400 it should have for a 08-09 D5. I am looking in to put the polestarbadge in the steeringwheel/airbag as i seen it and i do want the thicker r-designwheel for the 2008-2009 since the MY10+ 3-spoke R-design wheel is just to much work to fit.
Gotta fix pics of the wheel with the new XC90 dark centerhubs i have, mutch nicer than the old black and flat and huge text version.
Could not resist 60% of deal on the R-design cap from the old XC90 with same mirrors as XC70, kind of fits nice with everything in a Blacksapphire/silver theme.

Yes those NBB lights are needed even if the LED gen6 i have in highbeam work kind of OK and better than Osram NBU that only lasted one year in highbeam, they are however no match for the NBB:s, 3x75W xenon, will fit one more when i find another NBB witout the LED strip that is out of production so it might end up being a 40" VX XPR on the roof instead if i cant find it in the time i can wait.
Lowbeam is maxed out with Osram NBU xenarc but may try Philips XV xenon in the summer.

The frontlip was one of few parts i bought as new and wanted new beside the taillights and the trim in MY14 design around reflex/DRL/foglights. New it was i around 230€ that i paid for it but whole project was below 2000€ incl. a 200€ exhaust from a MY15 testcar with the D5 they scrapped after 500km.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Man... So much info for me... Reading it while working. Fog leds realy plug n play... That easy??How do they look ON with normal lights ON? Are they nicely color synched? Or do you see "new and old" mixed? Always wondered about that.

So again... 8 minutes work more or less replacing the old with new DRL? Price? €200 each??

XC70 D5 Polestar

·
Registered
59 Posts
I belive the DRL are around 150€ a piece at volvo but i never checked as i knew they was not cheap, but i got "slightly used" from a local scrapyard that got a rearended MY15 in the same day for 150€ for the pair but that was like 6 month ago. If you look up http://www.carparts-pros.com/ and search for 31383204, 31383205 and make sure it is " POSITIONSLEUCHTE (Volvo) " then you found them, the XC70 OEM DRL and they go for like 63.50€ a piece and shipping to netherland is like 15€ going by their rating on the site. I would have bought there if i did not found a set of used as i did not know of that site by that time.
I belive i heard the colortemprature on the DRL is in the range 4000-5000K so they are white and same range as standard xenon of 4300K:ish and not blueish/6000K+.

I changed the parkinglights, the angularpilar between low and highbeam that hold a W5W lightbulb to canbusLED:s of 4300K so it wont missmatch the DRL. I can belive it become an issue if you have the older halogenlights in the lowbeam and want to match lowbeam DRL if rules alow it.
I am satsified as i only used foglights twice, one time MOT and one time to check if they was anything to have, but 35w halogen did no good in the flood of 35w xenon of OEM bulb that was regular Philips and with the Osram NBU i did not see any yelloish color from foglights in the white light i put down. Now i use DRL on daily basis just like most other XC70 MY14+ that runs on "auto" do as they run taillights in that setting on aswell.

To fit them just remove the big cover with the plastic "fishbone"(a handy tool from volvo to pry out fragile plasicparts with by many other things) from the front to uncover the torxscrews and pull the foglightunit out and remove the connector, connect the DRL and place it in position and put cover on. No adjusatmect poisble as DRL have no limit in shining above the horisontallevel unlike foglights that should pointing down by a fair bit, Done. What you dont get is the autofunction or the fourt position that the newer LSM/lightsitch has to change from lowbeam to DRL and vice versa depending on lightconditions and the car do it by itself as that software dont exit for older cars and sensors are missing for it. Depending on the rules for DRL/aftermarket DRL or daylight in netherlands you may wanna check it up as in Sweden DRL you mount after the car was sold is not by the legal status DRL so you cant use the car without taillight anytime, they go by an older rule that say taillight on anytime of the day nomatter what you have in front of the car and no lowbeam together with it. Kind of like out rule of foglights that never go together with lowbeam but is just fine with parkinglights.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again! That website looks good... Is it all OEM? Do you have the chat function ON in tapatalk... Just so that when a question comes up.

XC70 D5 Polestar

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow, love those lights on the front of your car. Wish they were legal in the U.S. but I am sure they are not. Would love a set of those on my XC70 up in WA. state on the big tree country back roads.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@ turbo,

Would you be so kind to give me the correct partnumber or type of lights that would replace the verical lights to LED in order to match the DRL? What is the best brand? Do they last? I have 2011 Xenon... Which ones to choose??

2011 XC70 D5 Polestar

·
Registered
59 Posts
It is a regular T10 or W5W bulb you find on ebay or any place that sells LED-bulbs. I have one that is 4300K and is canbus version.
To make long story a bit shorter:
Started with something like this, a popular model with SMD but no cabus: http://www.horizonleds.co.uk/exteri...10-501-W5W-sidelights/t10-501-w5w-5-led-bulbs
They never last long nomatter how you do it, my average is one dead SMD on them within 4-5 month on an older S60 in application as rear numberplate, front parkinglight on pre facelift and parkinglight and sidelight on the facelift version with xenon.
On the XC they show the standard canbussflu of glowing when car is in the "presleepstage" before the car go in to sleepmode after a fwe minutes after ignition is off and it almost fell in to the housing when i replaced them as the diods is a bit to big compared to the regular T10 lightbulb.

I upgraded to this: http://www.horizonleds.co.uk/exteri...sidelights/t10-501-w5w-6-led-high-power-bulbs samsungbased history. lasted 16 month before two diods gave in and soon two more died. They are canbus so no canbusflu but still just a tad to big as they may get stuch when removing so holding the housing with the glass upp and the backside of light down may help it not falling in to the small space and giving a tiresome fishingexpedition to remove it.

Now i using this: http://www.horizonleds.co.uk/exteri...ights/14k-gold-festoon-t10-9-led-super-canbus and they are only 2 month old so i cant say anything about lifespan yet, but still close enought match to the DRL in the colortemprature to fullfill my needs for time beeing and almost the same diameter as the regular lightbulb so it wont get stuck that easy.

All bulbs i use exterior with one exeption is 4300K and i bought my bulbs in sweden at a store that also has the colortemprature in their details about the product and io suspect "pure xenon" means 6000K or in that range.

The exeption for me is the sidemarkings, the yellow reflex where i use a Philips bulb of 4000K http://www.powerbulbs.com/eu/product/philips-xtreme-vision-360-led-w5w-t10-4000k-twin It will glow amber/yellow so no issues with color. However i debating about modding the MY15 headlights to fit the MY08 so i need a amber/yellow diod as i plan to make the sidemarking glow on the new version where they removed it but forgot to remove the bulbholder so older electronic with the wiering for that bulb in the new headlight means it will glow as it should and white reflex and the lightdistributor that replace this vertical pillar with its diod that match the DRL perfectly and also glows a bit dimmer and more evenly in the distributor than a T10 diod can.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks again for your answer... I feel almost quilty you are spending so much time answering. This week my DRL's are arriving and also my MY14 front spoiler. Will let you know.

I didnt even know about CAN-bus type LEDs:

What are CAN-bus LED Bulbs?
CAN-bus, aka canbus, is a kind of circuit board chip used to communicate with the on board computer on vehicles. These kind of LED light bulbs have either built-in CAN-bus load resistors or higher enough wattage so they can bypass or "fool" the European vehicles' on board computer check (without triggering error or bulb out warning on dashboard)
The latest trend in the world of automotive lighting is LED. The Philips X-treme Vision range presents a series of bulbs which are suitable for signalling and interior lighting. By choosing these bulbs by Philips you know you’re getting the highest quality product on the market. Against halogen bulbs there’s no comparison - LED bulbs give off a much brighter intense light with greater longevity.

Please be aware that this range of Philips X-treme Vision LED bulbs is designed for interior use. They can be used in an exterior application but it is not road legal to do and, in addition, due to technical differences between LED and halogen technology, a vehicle warning light may be triggered depending on the configuration of your vehicle. This is more likely to happen if your car was manufactured after 2005. We would recommend that you purchase the Philips CANbus warning canceller for LED lamps to solve this issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The R-design wheel for 2008-2009 is on my "to do" list like a few more things like illuminated OEM doorsills, illuminated fotwells in the backseat and so on from the facelifted 2014-2015. I scrapped the 2010+ 3-spoke wheeldesign from my head for now. To mutch unknown things to replace and no solid answer on what to buy/replace to make it work, but it will have to wait until wheater aint -20celsius and 40+cm snow on the icy ground.
EDIT:
Scraped the older R-design wheel idea as i now know how to fit the newer style wheel. Got a V60CC MY15 R-design wheel for dieselengines on the way and only 1300km on it.
New problem is how to make the heated function to work or not care about it.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello Turbo,

Made the decision today...I want the dealer to install MY14 LED taillights...you think the dealer will do this or is it a mod only VOLVO lovers can and will do??? Perhaps it is a job outside VOLVO OEM jobs??

Nope, sorry it is not.
Here is my ride, kind of dirty but you can get the MY14 feeling on this MY08 D5 Polestar, Exhaust changed to the visable twinstyle from MY10+. Fitted with the Hakka8 studded on Cecino for wintertime, have 19" Erakir Diamondcut/TechMatt for the summer. One thing it dont show it the frontlip of the MY14 as it was the last item i fityted after pics was taken and i was bored to wait for the scrapyard to get a rearended MY14+ in with the front intact and low milage.
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy327/ER_101/DSC_0095.jpg
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy327/ER_101/DSC_0094.jpg

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went to the dealer and ordered all 4 taillights MY2014. We looked at MY'11 connectors and MY'14. According to them it should be plug n play. Bit of work for the lower ones they said since they will have to remove the bumper?! Long story short; €800 OEM and labor, including tax. Good deal I think. At the same time this is my last project on the car. Still debating on the chrome strip between the lights. Flows nicely into the white of the lights. "Pushes up" the tail it seems in a way. But then V O L V O has to be moved up a bit? Damn! Well, cant wait to drive in the twilight with these LEDS. Dont want to change the boxing gloves (around DRL/FOG) front and back. Like them better then 2014 IMO. Perhaps the honeycomb grill one day since it matches the roster below the license plate better.

By the way Turbo, I think you had wiring trouble putting your lights on since its a 2008. Mine is a 2011, must have the wiring already a bit different??

[2011 XC70 D5 Polestar]

1 - 20 of 203 Posts