SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,

I'm starting to budget $$ for my 140,000 timing belt service and wanted to get opinions on what else I should have done while they're that far in. I just saw JRL's recommendation of a water pump every-other timing belt change, what else should I consider getting done?

Thanks in advance. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

(Oh, btw, '98 S70 GLT...)

Modified by kageryu at 2:23 PM 6-19-2006

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: 136k, coming up on the timing belt, what else should I get done? (kageryu)

Quote, originally posted by kageryu »
Afternoon all,

I'm starting to budget $$ for my 140,000 timing belt service and wanted to get opinions on what else I should have done while they're that far in. I just saw JRL's recommendation of a water pump every-other timing belt change, what else should I consider getting done?

i]Modified by kageryu at 2:23 PM 6-19-2006[/I]

At least take a good look at it. So at least consider, but not alway necessary
Volvo water pumps are (incredibly
) one of the GOO, long lasting parts on a Volvo and rarely fail but, if you're planning on keeping the car for a while, it's not a bad idea while the belt is off, no real extra labor (15-20 minutes).

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 136k, coming up on the timing belt, what else should I get done? (JRL)

Duly noted.

I've also heard some mention of timing belt tensioners failing, but I'm hoping any shop worth their tools would automatically do the tensioner w/ the belt! (I'm still going to ask when I set up the service, though!)

Anything else that is a lot easier to get to while they're doing this that I should specifically request they inspect?

Thanks again...

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

No, they don't always and that is what you need even more than the belt itself
Check for oil leaks around the cam seal but you would see this even before you opened it up

·
Registered
3,499 Posts

When I did the second timing belt, I asked to replace the water pump. The mechanic who worked on the car (20+ years Volvo tech, now has his own place) stated he replaced only several pumps all these years and said I don't need it.
I did serpentine belt as well.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: 136k, coming up on the timing belt, what else should I get done? (Papa_Kirlo)

Quote, originally posted by Papa_Kirlo »
stated he replaced only several pumps all these years and said I don't need it.

Oxymoron, which is it?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts

Working on Volvos for many years he saw only few cars where pump replacement was necessary.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts

You should replace the little motor mount that is right there while doing the timing belt. It's a really weak piece and is almost always a sure be that you're going to need one. It's a few bucks more but worth it since the mechanic is already in that area.

Serp belt is also a great idea too.

Good luck and cheers,
Prospero

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: 136k, coming up on the timing belt, what else should I get done? (Prospero)

Is that one of the two main lower motor mounts? I already got to pay to have those done last year.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts

Nope, there are two really large ones and then just this little one at the front of the motor. (front being from the pulley view)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: 136k, coming up on the timing belt, what else should I get done? (Prospero)

Ok, cool. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.