SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my 04 R has 4000 kms on it (I know, weird story for another post:) ) I finally floored it and expected to get about 280 kph (as per BSR's Stage 1 PPC), and definitely 250 kph. I didn't, so I figured I too have the 210 kph (130 mph) limiter, as that is the top speed I managed. A couple of quick questions on it:<p>a. Is it software number 8645433 that solves the problem? There were two s/w # mentioned in the older threads.<p>b. Has anyone else experienced the same problem, having had the ECU upgraded on their car? I mean, I would think that since BSR's PPC lifts the stock limiter from 250 to 280 kph, it should also lift it from 210 anyway, right?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: 130 mph limiter and ECU upgrade (acg69)

I thought the US R had a 155mph limiter. But you're in Greece, it may not be the same regulatory environment. What tires came on the car?<p>Tom.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts

BSR should have removed any speed limiter, making your theoretical top speed whatever it would be in 6th gear at the rev limit.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Re: 130 mph limiter and ECU upgrade (Warpedcow)

From what I was told, only the early 2004 US cars got programmed as Canadian cars, hence the 135 mph limit. If your car was destined for Europe, it shouldn't have had the 135 limit. oclv

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

JD had the same problem at the last Texas GTG. I remember that they just hooked the car up to Vidas and ran a limiter check. Tech got in the car rimmed it up to 7,000 RPMs or so and they problem went away. Can't remember exactly what part of the car he clicked on in the software...but the limiter was removed. We found out his dealer in Dallas skipped out on any Updates since the car rolled off the assemble line...<p>He didn't have the BSR which would have removed the limiter. But, that's how the dealer solved the limiter problem.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to Volvo and plugged it to the computer. It turns out that a coupe of little hoses responsible for the turbo pressure wereeither loose or completely off place. They fixed that and I will test it for top speed one of these days and report back. btw, I think that BSR doesn't completely remove the limiter; it sets a new limiter at 280 kph.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Re: (acg69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>acg69</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think that BSR doesn't completely remove the limiter; it sets a new limiter at 280 kph. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>The BSR "speed limiter" is just whatever speed you can hit at redline (rev limiter) in your highest gear.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: (Warpedcow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Warpedcow</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>The BSR "speed limiter" is just whatever speed you can hit at redline (rev limiter) in your highest gear.</TD></TR></TABLE> I have had the BSR on my 04R. After the download from my BSR I was still at the 130mph limiter. I flashed it back to stock on my 15,000 mile service and asked if they could look into this. I picked the car up the next day, brought it home and reflashed the BSR and VIOLA the limiter was much higher than 130mph. (I only went to 140mph on a closed circuit) So in my case the VADIS download was needed to lift my limiter. BSR alone did not lift it. Rick

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Re: 130 mph limiter and ECU upgrade (Warpedcow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Warpedcow</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BSR should have removed any speed limiter, making your theoretical top speed whatever it would be in 6th gear at the rev limit.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I wonder if top speed is in 5th or 6th gear. Sometimes the gearing is too tall in 6th to produce the overall highest speed.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: 130 mph limiter and ECU upgrade (flybynight)

With stock tire size and the 6500rpm redline, a 6MT R can mathematically reach only 148mph in 5th. It's 183mph in 6th, so, 6th.<p>The 6GT has a much longer final drive, mathematically it would be doing 169mph at redline in 5th, and 217mph at redline in 6th! Of course, drag will undoubtedly limit reaching either speed.<p>Tom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts