SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....we have 49,200 miles on our '13 XC70 T6, purchased in late November 2012....so roughly 16k to 17k miles per year. Warranty expires at 50k (safe and secure package).....

Our intention is to keep the car to roughly 90k miles.....the timing to coincide with the next replacement platform wagon being about 2 years old, so hopefully the bugs are out???

I've never paid for extended coverage, but just asked the local dealer and they quoted me the following:

$2800 to cover all maintenance to 100k miles (60k, 70k, 80k, 90k, 100k).
$2270 to extend the warranty for 3 years or 100k miles.
$2470 to extend the warranty for 4 years or 100k miles.

We have no intention to purchasing both maintenance and warranty coverage.....but if we did one of these, what would you guys do??

Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is this through Lovering? I'd be interested to know what others thought also. This was one of the questions I was gonna ask but I've got a few mores years to decide. When I bought my car there they offered me 3 yrs 100K for $2,800.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct, Lovering. I think I'm inclined to get protection for a big expense if anything....i.e., go for the warranty....but curious whether others on the forum think there's much risk of warranty claims up to 100k miles.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I would get warranty only, not the maintenance plan. That seems kind of ridiculous to pay for maintenance up front, when you could do some of it yourself. The warranty on big ticket items until 100K is key (i'd go 4 year, btw). At 58k, mine is sitting in the dealer right now (for a week), as they determine if it needs a new transmission. The CPO on the car allows me to sleep at night during this time period.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would get warranty only, not the maintenance plan. That seems kind of ridiculous to pay for maintenance up front, when you could do some of it yourself. The warranty on big ticket items until 100K is key (i'd go 4 year, btw). At 58k, mine is sitting in the dealer right now (for a week), as they determine if it needs a new transmission. The CPO on the car allows me to sleep at night during this time period.
oh my, new transmission at 58k?.......yes this is the inner feeling I had, protection for something major.....wasn't expecting that major.

if I could ask, what's going on with your car?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Don't mind at all. There is a vibration in the driveline from 30-40 mph, only when throttle is applied and worse under load (hills, more people in the car, etc) and when the car is cold. It actually causes the steering wheel to wobble approx. half an inch in each direction. Despite me narrowing this down for them, they tried tire after tire after tire diagnosis before they even got to reprogramming the trans computer. Nothing helped. This definitely feels "mechanical" and deep-seated in the car. The car sometimes doesn't like to shift promptly under WOT and behaves oddly if I accelerate just before coming to a full stop. I thought torque converter, myself, but I could be wrong.

The car was originally a Volvo executive car and was likely used for towing. It also has Polestar on it, so there's that extra stress on the system (combined with my right foot). Either way, it's been in there 3 times for this. First time, they did find separated bands on the stock Pirellis, so I got new tires out of that. Next time they reprogrammed the trans, which helped somewhat. This time, it's definitely something "big" that needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow that sucks. I have to tell you I had a vibration situation also.....the first day we took delivery of the car in 2012. Got it on the highway, lots of vibration at 60 to 65 mph. We took it immediately back to the dealer, they rebalanced the tires, maybe it was slightly better, hard to say, but it was early December and we needed to get snows on it.....the Michelin snows were also better......

put the stock pirellis back on in March when we switched the tires back, again really bad vibration. They had the car back again a week, then told us 2 of the tires were out of round and they had been replaced. Of course it was difficult to verify if they really did replace them, but the vibration was slightly reduced but still there. At that point we kinda gave up and accepted it, besides swearing that I would never buy pirellis again.

We finally changed the stupid pirellis last month, put 34k miles on them.....they had tread left but the vibration was driving me insane.....put on new Michelins....way better.....but I have to say, there is still a very slight vibration at 60 to 65 mph. It basically means there's something inherently mechanical wrong at that speed, that might have been enhanced by the crappy pirellis maybe??

·
Registered
126 Posts
You pose a great question about service cost. I haven't seen a stickied list for the P3 XC70 or maybe I missed it. I will say having to get new rear brake pads at 20k was a little surprising but in the end not bad in that the car is almost 2 years old and 15 months in my possession. That's the only cost of ownership I've had. Would be curious to see what happens when I get outside that free 30k Mile Service Window.

Here's the full plan and pricing but it still doesn't break down the per service cost so you can see total savings.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Be sure to contact University Volvo in Charlotte, NC or Steingold Volvo. By far, they gave me the lowest price quotes on extended warranty plans.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
wow that sucks. I have to tell you I had a vibration situation also.....the first day we took delivery of the car in 2012. Got it on the highway, lots of vibration at 60 to 65 mph. We took it immediately back to the dealer, they rebalanced the tires, maybe it was slightly better, hard to say, but it was early December and we needed to get snows on it.....the Michelin snows were also better......

put the stock pirellis back on in March when we switched the tires back, again really bad vibration. They had the car back again a week, then told us 2 of the tires were out of round and they had been replaced. Of course it was difficult to verify if they really did replace them, but the vibration was slightly reduced but still there. At that point we kinda gave up and accepted it, besides swearing that I would never buy pirellis again.

We finally changed the stupid pirellis last month, put 34k miles on them.....they had tread left but the vibration was driving me insane.....put on new Michelins....way better.....but I have to say, there is still a very slight vibration at 60 to 65 mph. It basically means there's something inherently mechanical wrong at that speed, that might have been enhanced by the crappy pirellis maybe??
Those Pirelli's are abyssmal. The set that came on the car had bands separated in all 4 tires (they sent them back to Pirelli themselves for reimbursement). The next set they put on also sucked, but at least they balanced properly. They just wore down too fast. Maybe one of your rims is bent? At that speed, a vibration would almost definitely indicate something tire/rim related.

Just heard they are inspecting and/or replacing the driveshafts today, but they aren't confident that is the cause. When all is said and done, it would probably have been more cost efficient (notice I avoided "cheaper") to really go after the trans or torque converter first.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those Pirelli's are abyssmal. The set that came on the car had beads separated in all 4 tires (they sent them back to Pirelli themselves for reimbursement). The next set they put on also sucked, but at least they balanced properly. They just wore down too fast. Maybe one of your rims is bent? At that speed, a vibration would almost definitely indicate something tire/rim related.

Just heard they are inspecting and/or replacing the driveshafts today, but they aren't confident that is the cause. When all is said and done, it would probably have been more cost efficient (notice I avoided "cheaper") to really go after the trans or torque converter first.
based on your story, I just paid for the 3yr 100k warranty extension. A lot for us depends on the new platform timing....we almost traded this one for a 2015.5 T6 but they couldn't find one will all the options we wanted back in June, so we bailed on it.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Good call on the warranty. I think 2012 + cars are just fine and not worth trading in for a 2015.5, at least not from a cost-effective standpoint. Plus, it's "your" car. You know it well by now, so with the extra protection, you can enjoy it until the next platform drops!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have owned Volvos since 1967 and put almost 3 million miles on them; I have never purchased an extended warranty. That said, I have also performed all the services on my Volvos too. I have never had a major breakdown, nor have I ever been stranded. I may have been very lucky, or I maybe I just do good maintenance! Basically an extended warranty is an insurance policy. So the question is does one pay $2800 to cover all maintenance for the next 50K miles vs. what one would normally pay out of pocket for such service. Thus it is the old question, do you pay now or do you pay later? At the price many of the Volvo dealers charge one may break even. Personally, with the costs of purchasing a new Volvo today I would think Volvo would warranty it for 100,000 miles. Gee, you can purchase a cheep Korean vehicle that has a 100,000 mile warranty, why not Volvo!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Update SurfNH...mine is STILL in the dealer. They are now replacing motor mounts and front axles in an attempt to figure out what the issues is. The premium I paid for a "CPO car" has already paid for itself in service tech fees alone. I'm also starting to lose confidence in their ability to diagnose it but will likely have an entirely new drivetrain when all is said and done, lol.

Moral of the story, an extended warranty as an "insurance policy" on cars this complicated is worth it. Even though I do my own work, the cost of parts alone would start to kill me after a while. Plus I get a loaner while it's laid up.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Incredible! I bought the warranty like 5 minutes after seeing your post last week!! :)

It's my wife's car, good to have the security on it. I'm waiting for the new TT I've got on order, it's crossing the Atlantic right now!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Nice! TT is a little smaller than the XC ;)

Got mine back yesterday. My only cost was the 60K maintenance I asked them to do just to keep the CPO "current", otherwise I do the maintenance myself. This "insurance" is nice.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so is the vibration gone? Did they fix it?

Yes the TT is way smaller, sold my old TT to one of my kids (at the kid discount of course).....the new one has the virtual cockpit, the thing is awesome, can't wait to pick it up.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Not to mention the TT is a great-looking car, too.

They did fix it actually. The 2 week pill was easier to swallow since they sorted it out, didn't give me the car back with "we think that fixed it", and kept me in the loop at every turn. Unfortunately, I spent so much time in the S60 CC that this one feels strange to me now. A few solid plants of the right foot into the Polestar optimized T6 and that will be solved :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh that's awesome, glad it's fixed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts