SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second time it's happened to me now... Who knows if it's happened to my mom. Anyways it seems that the 12V ports don't work, but after a while, they work again. I thought it was a blown fuse at first, but I couldn't get to the fuse box because I don't know where it is (manual is at home). But anyways, the last time it happened to me, I just waited around half an hour later, everything was back to normal and the 12V ports was powering my dash cam again.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Sounds like a loose connection; the console needs to be pulled and inspect the wiring. It has happened in older Volvos. I have not encountered that in new models but I am also not a Tech so it is conceivable there are loose wires.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Sounds to me like more software gremlins. Did the rear outlet not work as well? If not then probably not a loose connection. Besides, a connection that loose would probably burn up if enough current is pulled through it. Since the 12v outlets are switched now they are most likely controlled by a relay and software and possibly even by the CAN bus. Someone else recently complained about his trunk release suddenly not working. Communications errors on this bus could cause sporadic malfunctions. And good luck trying to get that resolved..

·
Registered
11,936 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Tried checking the fuses just now... Either I'm an idiot or I can't figure out how to get to the fuse box under the glove compartment. I was able to check the fuses in the trunk though and the fuse for the rear 12V socket is missing. What's weird is that I was able to get power from the rear 12V socket before....

Guess it's a trip to the dealer for me.

Went to the dealer, found out where the fuse is and they changed it for me. Then the fuse blew again the moment I plugged I'm two dash cams.... WTF!

For those wondering why I have two, I was testing one out... The other is my usual one.

Whoever designed the fuses for the S60... Thanks for making everyone's life difficult.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone know how to change the fuse? I tried pulling it out with these the S70 fuse tonsil thingy... Doesn't work. Last thing I wanna do is go back to the dealer, especially when I already bought and opened up new fuses.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The manual says it is a 10 amp fuse. So if you blew a 10 amp fuse whoever designed it probably
just saved you from melting some wires, or worse. You need to find out why the devices
blow the fuse -- that's the problem. I'd check the power cable from the 12V port to the devices
since that is the most likely issue (did you rig something up to power two devices?)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The manual says it is a 10 amp fuse. So if you blew a 10 amp fuse whoever designed it probably
just saved you from melting some wires, or worse. You need to find out why the devices
blow the fuse -- that's the problem. I'd check the power cable from the 12V port to the devices
since that is the most likely issue (did you rig something up to power two devices?)
Manual says 15A fuse... Not 10A... Dealer gave me 15A fuse too.

I think something's wrong with the wiring inside the car... Not the devices. The devices shouldn't pull more than a few amps each. They're powered by a 5V battery after all. Plus I've plugged in a dash cam, and GPS into the front 12V before with no problems in 40 hours of driving.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I'd check the power cable from the 12V port to the devices
+1

Since you mentioned that your outlets occasionally don't work I would start looking at your 'rig' for possible shorts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts