SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend wants to maybe put a pair of ipd sway bars on his '66 wagon, and it turns out ipd doesn't sell the wagon kit any more. I vaguely remember that the wagon took the same rear bar as the sedan (like it does the front), but it has been a long time since I did that job. Of course, the wagon rear axle is quite different externally from the sedan, as is the floor, so there is likely a difference in the mounting hardware.

Does anyone remember the details? Assuming the bar itself crosses over, what mounting fabrication would we be signing up for?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Have you called IPD to ask? I've always been shocked and awed by their knowledge of their products... they very well may be willing to help if they don't have 'em anymore.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's calling this week, they're closed today but Swedespeed works 24x7 :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
As I noted previously, my poor memory now appears no better than yours.

FWIW Back in the day I was thoroughly impressed with the body roll improvement from fitting IPD 1.25"/.75" bars and Bilsteins, with stock springs and OEM rubber chassis bushings, on many sedans and wagons. Better roadholding? Not so much...
Now I've gone to 1" front, no rear, same yellow shocks, slightly lower and stiffer springs, and all poly chassis bushings. No loss in roll improvement, better handling and better roadholding.
Something to think about while you're waiting...
Regards

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now I've gone to 1" front, no rear, same yellow shocks, slightly lower and stiffer springs, and all poly chassis bushings. No loss in roll improvement, better handling and better roadholding.
Noted!

Do you happen to know the stock front bar diameter? And, where you find the 1" bar and springs?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Stock bar is 13/16" (21mm); my 1"er is an older IPD piece, was an option to use without rear bar, ?still available new from them.
My springs are ~1" lower progressives from VPD/John Parker...Top qual, perfect for my needs, took a year of lies to arrive, hope to never deal with him again. Others have similar, though easy to go too stiff.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I had the IPD F/R sway bar sets on both our Amazon (IPD Street Coils) and 1800S (stock springs) until I had a day of performance driving school on a track in the rain with the 1800. It would snap spin with very little provocation when neither the instructor nor I expected it, sometimes unrecoverably. I took the rear bar off both cars, leaving the heavy front bars in place. End of problem -- turn-in was a little sloppier but easily compensated for, and it was easy to throttle steer -- no tendency to "push" once the car took a set. I used the same heavy front-only bar on the Amazon I built for a customer who won its class in the 2009 running of La Carrera Panamericana, and he had no complaints about handling.

Note that the late Richard Gordon developed that setup for his 142 SCCA racer and then made similar sets to fit the other models. No doubt that it worked great on the 142, but that's quite a different car.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Note that the late Richard Gordon developed that setup for his 142 SCCA racer and then made similar sets to fit the other models. No doubt that it worked great on the 142, but that's quite a different car.
Yeah, I have always been a bit skeptical that many of the classic ipd bars are the same front and rear diameters. And I admit I never tracked my 122 wagon with the two bars on it. :D Interesting observations on turn-in and set with just the one, thanks.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The IPD pair did work quite some better with the 140s, almost eerily on the 145. 240s too, even better than the smaller OEM turbo bars...
On my 164 however, I remember removing the rear IPD bar leaving just the oversized front, and being relieved.
And regarding Amazon (and 1800), neither Volvo Competition Services nor R-Sport catalogues ever showed or recommended a rear bar to match their 24mm front bar.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Indeed, with the rear sway bar, things can get scary in the wet. But the dry performance is very satisfying. The understeer is reduced significantly, and you need very little throttle to get into the curve. I think that the rear sway bar also needs a small steering wheel, so that you can catch the car easier. That means that you cannot install very fat tires, because it will make the car very difficult to steer at low speeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts