SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I've got a '67 220 with original 4:56 diff mated to a B20 with J-type OD. The speedo reads fast & I don't do math well in my head, especially while enjoying country roads. I think I remember the speedo gear being 21 tooth. Roughly, the odometer reads 1.11 miles per highway mile marker. Anybody out there resolved this situation successfully? Thanks, John

·
Registered
550 Posts
http://www.partshp.com/speedometer_gears.htm

I was hitting Google on this subject today. Scroll down you'll see the little gear box things. Just an option if the right gear for the tranny is impossible to find.

My odometer doesn't work so until I swap in the spare (hope it works) I'm not too worried about it. From what little I know about speedometer calibration it starts with getting the odometer right first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Speedo gear at the tranny is available in different ratios for the different rear end gears. I ended up getting the Speedo to read correctly in my 220 by swapping the Speedo gear and putting on larger tires. The 220 uses a taller tire stock than the sedan & coupe.

I remember the gears were color coded...one was yellow, the other green, although I don't remember which was which.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just went through this while finalizing my OD restoration. My J OD has the black speedo gear and I counted 20 teeth. I have a 4.10 rear end on my '66 130 and based on other articles I'm expecting a 20% error on speed indication as the stock speedo gear was yellow with 16 teeth. Each tooth delta leads to about 5% error so I'm led to understand. Looks like you're looking at 10% error with your 4.56 axle.

Myself, I'd more than accept a 10% error. Hell, who knows if the perfect set up isn't +/- 5% as is with the 60's speedo technology? To fix you have to tear down the back end of the OD and replace the speedo worm, etc. Seems like a lot of work for 10% indication. I'm not planning on doing it for a 20% error. Will help me keep my math sharpness.;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response! I haven't seen the gear since I found the Apple speedo app, thinking that would work, which it does, but then you're looking at the passenger seat instead of the road. I think it's white. On the freeway, in the left lane, with normal traffic, which where I live is hovering just under 80, I'm going 110; 70 seems to be "90ish", 55 "75"? It's the windy rural stuff with no other traffic that makes me nervous...

·
Registered
550 Posts
I only see one there for the M41 J type. 19 teeth and 109 bucks. Kinda makes one of the gear box things look pretty interesting. To me anyway.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Sorta of off topic question. How do you pull the speedometer out of a 122? It's in my 67 parts wagon. I'd just like to know what tools I need. Before I make my way through the snow and wake up whatever animals that might be living in there.

My manuals are at my girlfriend's house and we're in that "I need some time and space" phase of our relationship.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Undo the temperature gauge, remove the lights and the wires for the fuel gauge, undo the speedo cable and there will be one nut (1/2" or 13mm if I recall correctly?) on either side of the speedo holding it onto the dash. Really easy.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Finally got the speedometer out of the parts car yesterday. Next step is taking it apart cleaning, inspection and if it looks like the odometer works, installing it.
If the odometer doesn't work I won't put it in. Figure I'll run it on a drill to test that.
Still won't read the right speed but it seems the first step in calibration is getting the odometer reading somewhat close.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts