SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'67 122, B18 with a single Weber down-draft:

While driving my daughter to school, it died on me a couple of times while engaging first gear from a stop. Pop clutch and rev lightly and we're back in business. Happens again in third down the road a bit but doesn't completely die, just bogs like it's about to choke out, and then settles into normal driving in 4th.

In neutral @ a light, it idles fine. Only once, at a complete stop and in neutral, did it crank and not fire up quickly. I hit it again and she fired up. It seems to only have this issue while under load, and somewhat inconsistent.

Returning home, same deal, 3-4 times: clutch-popping a few times keeps us going and we make it home OK.

Like my 240's, I suspect the in-tank pump rather than the main on the block. The main looks ancient and might need replacing though.

Anything else I missed?

Work has me slammed and I won't get to evaluating it further until next Monday. Networking between now and then is always appreciated.

Best regards,

Chris

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Check your fuel filter first, then the fuel pump on the left side of the block. Unhook the line from the carbs and point it into a coffee can. Have someone crank the engine and you should see a strong squirt every other time the engine turns. If it is worse on a low tank than when full, your fuel tank pickup tube may have a hole in it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Two things that I like replace on any old car or pickup if theere old and who knows how much sitting thay've done. Fuel pump and water pump. I test them the same as the hoses by the sound they make hitting the garbage can.

There's been times I didn't do that and been stuck in the middle of nowhere. Alaskan Highway in BC with no fan belts sticks out in my mind.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
It may not be a fuel problem at all, although I wouldn't rule it out. Unlike an injected car, even if there's a pump failure or blockage in the fuel line, the car will run for 15+ seconds just on the fuel that's in the float bowls of the carbs. If there was a supply problem and those bowls ran low, clearing it by clutching and revving would be unlikely to correct it.

I'd have a good look at the ignition -- points, condensor, condition of the plug wires, etc.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Could be that the contact points are loose on the distribtor breaker plate.

Also be sure of the correct installation of that insulating spacer in the small round recess in the distributor body where the points mounting screw/bolt passed through.

George Dill

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much gentlemen. I will check that some of that tomorrow and the remainder when I can get a day off...it's a busy month...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts