SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, long time reader, etc.

I have found what looks like the perfect XC70 for me. Lightly used '12 T6 model, ideal color combo, Polestar tuned. Perfect, except for one thing, it doesn't have the Climate Package with the heated front seats. I live in Maine, having a leather interior without heated seats is a no deal for me.

It's probably not possible, but is there any way heated front seats can be retrofitted by Volvo to the car?

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
First post, long time reader, etc.

I have found what looks like the perfect XC70 for me. Lightly used '12 T6 model, ideal color combo, Polestar tuned. Perfect, except for one thing, it doesn't have the Climate Package with the heated front seats. I live in Maine, having a leather interior without heated seats is a no deal for me.

It's probably not possible, but is there any way heated front seats can be retrofitted by Volvo to the car?
Anything is possible, but it will be much cheaper if you just find another XC70 T6 that already has the Climate package.
Polestar is the one thing that CAN be added easily at any time.

·
Registered
397 Posts
heated seats can be added to pretty much any car with aftermarket options. Most auto trim places(folks that do sunroofs, after market leather, tinting, and electronic accessories) can add it. The buttons will not be on the console in typical OEM fashion(rather they will probably hide the buttons somewhere near it). But they work fine and last I heard not too expensive. Of course you wont get the headlight washers and rainsensing windshield. If those are not deal breakers go for it. You might even be able to talk the dealer into aftermarket seat heaters. I think seat heaters shouldnt run more than 400-500 installed though

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would like to back up Patrick's comments with some personal experience.

I installed seat heaters into my 2004 Element (yeah, something Volvo folks would call "boxy") and it was not too terrible of a job. If you check ebay, you will see that there are only about three different kits available. I installed them myself, which is a (fairly) simple three step process: 1. Connect 12V power, 2. Install switch, and 3. insert heating elements between seat covering and cushion.

#3 is the hardest part, but the seat elements can be cut as desired to fit and are barely noticeable when in the seat.

The switch would probably end up being a little ugly...maybe install it on the seat itself and out of sight of that beautiful console, I doubt there would be a way to (easily) hack the car into using a factory button to turn them on.

My experience with the aftermarket unit was that they were far hotter than those in my wife's Accord at the time, setting 3 warn darn near uncomfortable.

A small advantage of the aftermarket unit is the rocker switch that is used, being a rocker-style switch, I could leave the heaters on all the time (connection to accessory power) and not have to hit the switch every time I get in the car (or so reads the XC70 Owners manual).

Hope this little story helps, feel free to ask any further questions,

Mike

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys, all very helpful.

Wingscribe, do you remember the name of the brand you used? I am a bit leery of getting some cheapo brand that will scorch the fine leather on the seats.

Part of the reason I don't just look for another car is that the car is beautiful and has the Espresso interior, which is stunning. Tough to find another with that interior and the particular exterior color. Plus it's used so I can save a bunch of money instead of buying new.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got them way back in the day from auto warm.com. In the link below, the version I purchased was closest to the Innovative Heat II. The actual version I bought does not seem to be available any longer.

http://www.autowarm.com/products.php

Just a note, I only had the car for six months after installing the heaters (long story, nothing to do with the seats) so I can't claim the worked for longer than that, but they did what they were supposed to do for that time.

Let me know if you have additional questions,

Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
Volvo's real stuff have different power levels (accomplished by PWM). So you are saying this isn't standard on your market? Here you couldn't sell them without. Has been a standard Volvo feature since the 144 in 1966.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They're not standard here, no. I would guess that a Volvo sold in Texas or Florida has little need for them. Since I live in Maine, I definitely need them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts