SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,<P>I just picked up my V40 yesterday and i went to use the electrical outlet and it seems that it doesnt work. My radar detector would not work nor my phone cord. <P>So i went to the dealer and tried on a S40 and the same problem.<P>Are the european 12 volt plugs different then here in North America? <P>Does anyone else have this problem? it really sucks!<P>thanks<P>mitch

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't know for sure, but possibly the polarity is reversed? I know this has been the case in various vehicles in the past. I thought there would be a standard by now, though.<P>

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mitch<P>2000 S40 electrical connector in the ashtray<BR>does not work if the car is off. I usually kept cell phone plugged in while parked to charge in other cars. I found out it is off until you start the car in this car. Maybe mine is wrong too, but there's my two cents.<BR>Electrical connector in trunk also is off when engine is off.<P>Miker

·
Registered
2 Posts
hmmm... I have run my StarTac's cig lighter adapter from the ash try and it seems to work just fine. I have also run a DC to AC inverter from it as well and it works too!<P><P>

·
Registered
20 Posts
Miker was right in his two cents....unless the car is on or at least the ignition clicked 1 "spot" forward to give it some power, the 12 volt will not work.<P>

·
Registered
415 Posts
A neat little trick I did when I got my radar detector was to wire it directly to the fuse box. Cool thing is I wired it to the fuse that goes to the cigarette lighter except this has a constant 12V. I ran the wiring up the side of the driver side dash and then pushed all the way to the front of the windshield so it's not visible from the inside nor the outside AND it looks cool cause the coiled up wire comes up from the center in between the windshield and the dash. If your interested in wiring your radar detector this way just check out your S/V40 owners manual and chack out the fuse block diagram to learn where to properly wire your radar detector.

·
Registered
27 Posts
All the cars I've owned (Toyotas, Volvos, and Hondas) are set up this way. The key has to be turned forward at least one position for stuff to fire up.<P>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts