SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm happy to report that my 10k scheduled maintenance service was done within 90 minutes at Culver City Volvo. They updated to the latest software and reported no problems with the car :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Excellent news! I have the same car with 8059 miles and wouldn't expect anything different when I take mine in...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Yes, that's wonderful news.

Did you have the problem with the HK premium sound settings where it wouldn't keep the surround setting for Sirius? Assuming you kept Sirius, does it now keep the surround setting?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent news! I have the same car with 8059 miles and wouldn't expect anything different when I take mine in...
The service reminder came on at 9'400 miles and I took it in immediately. It's a great car to drive :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To johnee:

I'm a musician/sound engineer and know better than to turn on the surround setting … lol. It messes with the phase and room (reverb) information. What you listen to in this artificial surround setting is definitely not what the mix engineer had in mind. I'm also not going to renew Sirius. The sound quality, especially the compression rate, makes most music unlistenable in my opinion. I've heard that XM sounds much better.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
To johnee:

I'm a musician/sound engineer and know better than to turn on the surround setting … lol. It messes with the phase and room (reverb) information. What you listen to in this artificial surround setting is definitely not what the mix engineer had in mind. I'm also not going to renew Sirius. The sound quality, especially the compression rate, makes most music unlistenable in my opinion. I've heard that XM sounds much better.
haha, so this begs the question... What do you listen to and how?

I'm an electrical engineer, so to me, music is a bunch of sin waves run through a Fourier transform :D

Which is why I LOVE using the surround settings, all that signal processing taking place!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha, so this begs the question... What do you listen to and how?

I'm an electrical engineer, so to me, music is a bunch of sin waves run through a Fourier transform :D

Which is why I LOVE using the surround settings, all that signal processing taking place!
Believe it or not, but the bluetooth connection from my iPhone has enough bandwidth to sound good to my ears. So I listen to music from my iPhone and talk radio ;-)

·
Registered
565 Posts
To johnee:

I agree 100% I hated the sound quality of Sirius. If I pay, it better be as good or better than other means of delivery.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree 100% I hated the sound quality of Sirius. If I pay, it better be as good or better than other means of delivery.
I couldn't agree more! What baffles me is that most consumers don't even notice the dismal sound quality.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey -- I was just about to post a thread about Culver City Volvo -- I bought my car there and will be due for a 10K service at some point (sooner rather than later). Was going to ask how it went with anyone here. I'm glad that you reported all went well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey -- I was just about to post a thread about Culver City Volvo -- I bought my car there and will be due for a 10K service at some point (sooner rather than later). Was going to ask how it went with anyone here. I'm glad that you reported all went well.
I had a bad experience with Culver City Volvo a few years ago, but decided to go back to them because my buying experience at Santa Monica Volvo was worse. It sounds like I'm a difficult person, but I'm not ... lol. It just pisses me off how much lying is being done at dealerships. Again, my experience at Culver City Volvo was great this time. They even washed the car, and I was in and out in no time :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had a bad experience with Culver City Volvo a few years ago, but decided to go back to them because my buying experience at Santa Monica Volvo was worse. It sounds like I'm a difficult person, but I'm not ... lol. It just pisses me off how much lying is being done at dealerships. Again, my experience at Culver City Volvo was great this time. They even washed the car, and I was in and out in no time :)
I couldn't even get a sales person at SM Volvo. Though they keep calling to leave messages and e-mailing me. I think because of a report I pulled via Consumer Reports. But whenever I went on the lot, or replied via e-mail, or returned the call, nothing. Maybe they were really busy. I did visit South Bay Volvo too.

But I got the best vibe from Culver City Volvo, so I ended up there after doing most of the work through e-mail there. I thought I could cut a lot of the time spent sitting in an office down and I think I did -- but there's still an element of jive at all these places, I suppose. I'd probably do things a little bit differently were I to lease from them again.

I'm not sure I'll ever buy another car (unless it's something older that I want to wrench on, on the weekends). I used to love driving and working on older BMW's. I still wouldn't mind driving them (though not so much in LA traffic anymore), but I miss less and less fixing them :)

That said, because of a low oil light (and no dipstick!) brought the car into Culver, and had the 20K service (at about 18Kmi) at Culver -- everything seems to have gone fine, save the fact that they didn't reset the system so I still get maintenance notices going off at start up. Unlike at the 10K service, I got a loaner for two days (it took two days because they had to (and I paraphrase): send a query to NJ about low engine level). Like you, I got a car wash when getting the car back.

If I continue to have (relatively) good experiences at Culver, I may go with them again when it's time to lease another car. Maybe stay with the S60 or go to the V60.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts