SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Just thought I would post some notes on the 10k service for my MY2018 V90CC that might be of interest to some. Had it done at Volvo Cars Seattle, and while I have been in there a number of times, I purchased my vehicle through another dealer. This was my first 'transaction' with them.

1. Dealer uses Castrol Edge Pro oil as per Volvo USA contract/deal ...

2. Had my front brake rotors replaced under warranty without question. My rotors had a runout of 0.12mm, service minimum is 0.04mm. Ouch. He said if it happens again they'll replace them again ... fingers crossed this doesn't happen.

3. Total Software Update *did* update Polestar as well. The notes read "downloaded on line L". (Rear wheel torque in Dynamic etc). Haven't had a chance to see if PA has been improved at all.

4. Had the Intellisafe Support Upgrade, "Oncoming Mitigation by Braking", part # 32261826, installed for SW cost + 1/2 hour labor. Only needed the one for MY18. $93 + tax. They charge 1/2 hour for all SW downloads apparently.

5. They were unable to "replicate" door panel resonances/vibrations caused by the B&W speakers - no surprise there and wasn't expecting much. My fault for not having a specific track ready to go next time.

I was given a 2019 XC90 T6 inscription loaner and noticed two things vs my 2018 V90CC T6:

6. I didn't run stopwatch tests or anything but the MY19 Sensus didn't seem much faster than mine, if at all. I have a very late MY18 and some have said that the processor was updated at the end of MY18 so it's still unclear to me.

7. Much more glaring and of concern to me - during auto start/stop the starter on the XC90 was much much quieter/smoother ... so now wondering if mine is abnormal as I am not aware of any changes here. (And same T6 engine).

Overall, it was a very good experience. Google reviews of the dealership seem to back it up (4.8/5.0 from 642 reviews). Fortunate to have a good service department just around the corner from me.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
3. Total Software Update *did* update Polestar as well. The notes read "downloaded on line L". (Rear wheel torque in Dynamic etc). Haven't had a chance to see if PA has been improved at all.
Thank you for confirming this. I need to go look at my 20k mile service papers to see if the Polestar update was included as well. Apparently, my dealership had no idea about any update from Polestar and forwarded my query to the regional manager (who still has to get back to me, btw). I'll check to see if they unknowingly have performed the update.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Thank you for confirming this. I need to go look at my 20k mile service papers to see if the Polestar update was included as well. Apparently, my dealership had no idea about any update from Polestar and forwarded my query to the regional manager (who still has to get back to me, btw). I'll check to see if they unknowingly have performed the update.
What he is saying is there isn't a separate download to update Polestar. The Total Update includes updates to all modules. So if you had the Total Update done and there was an update pertaining to Polestar, then it was updated.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
What he is saying is there isn't a separate download to update Polestar. The Total Update includes updates to all modules. So if you had the Total Update done and there was an update pertaining to Polestar, then it was updated.
Yup. Thanks for the clarification. I understood what he meant. I just want to check my paperwork to see if mine says the same thing.

·
Registered
282 Posts
2. Had my front brake rotors replaced under warranty without question. My rotors had a runout of 0.12mm, service minimum is 0.04mm. Ouch. He said if it happens again they'll replace them again ... fingers crossed this doesn't happen.
Thanks for the report. I'm due for mine in a couple months.

How did you know that the rotors needed to be addressed? Were there symptoms you were experiencing or did they check them as a routine part of the 10k service and notice their condition?

Also, were they replaced under the Volvo warranty or an extended supplemental warranty you had purchased? I would think brakes would be considered 'wear' unless these were deemed 'defective'.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts

How did you know that the rotors needed to be addressed? Were there symptoms you were experiencing or did they check them as a routine part of the 10k service and notice their condition?

Also, were they replaced under the Volvo warranty or an extended supplemental warranty you had purchased? I would think brakes would be considered 'wear' unless these were deemed 'defective'.
When mine were replaced at around 7000 miles on the Odometer, my Steering wheel used to shimmy with light braking. I immediately knew the Rotors were bad.

If you have Steering wheel shimmy or brake pedal pulsing, you need to get them checked out by the Dealer. If out of spec (defective), the rotors will be replaced free of cost under Volvo warranty. Rotors are wear items but running them out with less than 10k miles on the Odo is definately a defect and no dealership would argue with that.

The new set of front rotors they have installed have held up perfectly all this time and I'm reaching 27k miles on the Odo now.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup. Thanks for the clarification. I understood what he meant. I just want to check my paperwork to see if mine says the same thing.
So it's only on my paperwork because I asked them to verify during drop off. Otherwise it would have not been explicitly itemized by the tech.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Started noticing light shudder through steering wheel and brake pedal during braking at around 8k. I told them at drop off and that I thought there might be a problem with the front rotors - I could barely finish my sentence before he had entered a request for them to be measured and replaced under normal warranty. Even though they are wear items the runout was measured at 0.12mm which apparently is beyond reasonable wear. I discussed further on pickup and he said that they had a 'material defect'. Clearly a common issue.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

When mine were replaced at around 7000 miles on the Odometer, my Steering wheel used to shimmy with light braking. I immediately knew the Rotors were bad.

If you have Steering wheel shimmy or brake pedal pulsing, you need to get them checked out by the Dealer. If out of spec (defective), the rotors will be replaced free of cost under Volvo warranty. Rotors are wear items but running them out with less than 10k miles on the Odo is definately a defect and no dealership would argue with that.

The new set of front rotors they have installed have held up perfectly all this time and I'm reaching 27k miles on the Odo now.
Yes exactly. Fingers crossed this set will be ok. Looks like some other forum members have had to go through 3 sets to get one that didn't fail early on.

·
Registered
879 Posts
5. They were unable to "replicate" door panel resonances/vibrations caused by the B&W speakers - no surprise there and wasn't expecting much. My fault for not having a specific track ready to go next time.
There was a TJ for S90's about this. Not sure if you vehicle falls in the criteria but i know my very early vin did.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
One thing you could do is cut down a we bit on the mid bass using your equalizer and boost up a wee bit on the subwoofer....Thats what I’ve done and I rarely get any more annoying vibrations except with Royals by Lorde

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
904 Posts
i have one of the first 2018 s90 inscription and yes the speed is slower than 2019 . 2018 its 2x for 2017 its 3x slower .

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
i have one of the first 2018 s90 inscription and yes the speed is slower than 2019 . its 2x for 2017 its 3x slower .
It interesting because I have a 2017 XC90 and a 2019 S60 and don’t notice much difference at all, both seem fast. I guess Im lucky that my 2017 is not bogged down like some have experienced

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a MY18 V90 Inscription and my auto stop/start is silent. I had auto s/s on my '15 BMW X3 and it was obvious. My V90 was so quiet I didn't even think it was an auto s/s, I thought it was some sort of auto stop feature.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Same for my '18 V90 T6 Inscription. Stop/start is seamless and transparent. If I have any complaint, it's that stop/start too often takes itself offline because whatever the temperature and other conditions are that allow it to operate are not present. It's very selective that way.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Same for my '18 V90 T6 Inscription. Stop/start is seamless and transparent. If I have any complaint, it's that stop/start too often takes itself offline because whatever the temperature and other conditions are that allow it to operate are not present. It's very selective that way.
Same for me. The half dozen times it has actually operated, it was hardly noticeable. The dealer will be checking the batteries when I'm in for the 10k to make sure they're holding a charge. It has not functioned far more often than it has functioned. I actually stare at the 'Ready' and encourage it to turn white. But it never does.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I have a MY18 V90 Inscription and my auto stop/start is silent. I had auto s/s on my '15 BMW X3 and it was obvious. My V90 was so quiet I didn't even think it was an auto s/s, I thought it was some sort of auto stop feature.
Ok thanks guys. Sounds just like the XC90 loaner I had - almost imperceptible when it re-engaged. Something is not right with mine. I also feels like it is taking a wee bit longer (as in hundreds of ms) to engage as well. If I am going to have to live with auto start/stop by default then it had better work as best it can. Taking my car back in.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Wow, more rotors shot at under 10K miles. The dealer replaced our '18 V90CC OR at 7K miles. Sure sounds like a bad batch got into the pipeline. Has anyone heard an explanation from Volvo? Our '18 V90 RD has around 5.5K miles on it, with no issues, but I'm a bit early.

As far as the 2.0 update including P*, I'm growing impatient and may not wait for the 10K service to have the flash loaded. Of course, if the rotors go earlier...

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi,

Just thought I would post some notes on the 10k service for my MY2018 V90CC that might be of interest to some. Had it done at Volvo Cars Seattle, and while I have been in there a number of times, I purchased my vehicle through another dealer. This was my first 'transaction' with them.

1. Dealer uses Castrol Edge Pro oil as per Volvo USA contract/deal ...

4. Had the Intellisafe Support Upgrade, "Oncoming Mitigation by Braking", part # 32261826, installed for SW cost + 1/2 hour labor. Only needed the one for MY18. $93 + tax. They charge 1/2 hour for all SW downloads apparently.

I was given a 2019 XC90 T6 inscription loaner and noticed two things vs my 2018 V90CC T6:

6. I didn't run stopwatch tests or anything but the MY19 Sensus didn't seem much faster than mine, if at all. I have a very late MY18 and some have said that the processor was updated at the end of MY18 so it's still unclear to me.

7. Much more glaring and of concern to me - during auto start/stop the starter on the XC90 was much much quieter/smoother ... so now wondering if mine is abnormal as I am not aware of any changes here. (And same T6 engine).

Overall, it was a very good experience. Google reviews of the dealership seem to back it up (4.8/5.0 from 642 reviews). Fortunate to have a good service department just around the corner from me.
Volvo Cars Seattle? Adam, Navid and Brian are all top guys to deal with!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts