SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone - I’ve been inactive for a while on Swedespeed because, as you may remember, my R was written off in May. After two weeks of driving my dad’s Mazda around, I replaced Odin, the 2005 Magic Blue M66 S60R, with a 2012 World Rally Blue Subaru WRX STi 5-door, Sport-Tech package.

Here’s a farewell to the R and an introduction to the STi.

Parked next to my Grandpa’s 240 the day I picked him up, my birthday in May 2009. About 65,000 km on the clock.

Discovering the previous owner wasn’t very careful about wheel rub.

Winter 2009 saw the car parked in the garage for six months, I had my license suspended for medical reasons. Not pictured: the car getting rear-ended in the spring because some idiot woman was playing with her phone instead of paying attention. My dad was bringing the car back from the shop for me so it would be ready when I got my license back... he was STOPPED at a light and she hit him. Good part: she said her brakes failed, got her car towed for an inspection (which she would have to pay for), AND got dangerous driving charges.

Winter 2010: picked up some Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 tires (awesome) and some horrible MSW wheels from Tire Rack (which I regret). Looked good though.

Who needs a station wagon? Haha. Two full Ikea bookcases.

Screw you, winter.

Mountain drive. It’s winter here a lot.

Summer road trips!

Osoyoos, BC

Hit while exiting a traffic circle from the inner lane. Sigh.

Rear-ended because I had the audacity to stop at a yield sign going on to heavy highway traffic. You can see the other car’s paint on the edge of the exhaust tips. The R was still damaged from the traffic circle thing! Got some weird looks at the body shop for bringing it in on two open claims. :rolleyes:

Kicking a late winter’s ass.

Upgrades. I highly recommend the Hawk HPS brake pads. No dust, no squealing. Different pedal feel, but just as much stopping power.

Working on my dad’s pickup truck. Knocked the realllllly sensitive park brake loose and it was out of gear. Trailer hitch redecorated the door. Fortunately missed everything else and I just swapped out the door from a wrecker... who somehow not only had an S60 door but one in Magic Blue. Felt almost as bad as when my family dog died when I saw this happen.

Mountain fog near Vancouver, May Long weekend 2012.

Same weekend - the beginning of the end for my car. Splattered some juvenile deer at 80 km/h.

Insurance wrote the car off. Cut me a cheque for a reasonable number. This is the last time I saw the car before they towed it away.

All in all, I put just over 50,000 km on the R in three years. Temperamental car in terms of repairs and way too many collisions, but I still loved it!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
And now: introducing the WRX STi!

First time I saw it at the dealership after waiting two weeks for shipping:

That’s a low odometer... break-in was torture!

First wax.

Rainstorm.

I took it out for a photo shoot.

Installed Rally Armour mud flaps... I love ‘em. Since this I’ve also gotten the rear five windows tinted (32%), I have no idea why I never got the R tinted.

Impressions: this thing is fast. Like alarmingly fast. Mileage is about the same as the R (worse for now because I’m driving like a retard). The suspension is much firmer, you get bumped around, but the seats are good so it’s not a big deal (Alcantara is a really nice compromise between leather and fabric). The suspension is predictable though - the R floated until something went out of its ability to control and then CRASH! you got jostled something fierce.

I’ve been able to kick the car’s rear end out (almost to the point of spinning it) thanks to the awesome AWD. The traction control comes in WAY later than on the Volvo.

Future plans:
- Debadging the rear end except for "STi"
- Tint/wrap the tail lights in red, keeping the reverse & signals white
- I get to re-use the Volvo’s winter tires, I just need to buy new wheels :)
- I have a pile of stereo parts to throw in. The Subaru’s stereo, while having a great Pioneer head unit, doesn’t hold a candle to the R. I’ve bought some Focal 6.5” component speakers, a Focal sub, a JL Audio class D amp, and a back-up camera to round it out. Just need to install it all now.
- The exhaust is quite... lacking. The sedan STi sounds fantastic, but the hatchback is very quiet (probably quieter than a stock R). Certainly less aggressive than a resonator-deleted R. Subaru Performance Tuning sells a fantastic exhaust, but no one sells it in Canada... bah.
- I’m also looking at installing a light bar and some BIG road lights... to vaporize any deer that run out in front of me before they become a problem ;)

So long, and thanks for all the fish... err, useful advice and moral support!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Dude you seeem very accident prone. I'd be scared to have a nice car if I were you. Sweet STI though. Blue is sick. Maybe some gold wheels

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
LOL I was just about to say, your poor R seemed to have gotten into a lot of fender benders and silly accidents. Nothing you can do about the deer though, but I would take super care of this one with the STi. Good luck and great car!

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
-1 maple leaf worshipper....thank god....all joking aside, best of luck with the STI *tears* she's a beauty */tears*

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So after they towed the R away, what happened to it?

Enjoy the new STI!
It would've been put up for auction with a salvage title. Someone likely bought it with the hopes of fixing it themselves and turning a profit on re-selling it. A larg fraction of the quote to repair it was labour. My insurance didn't give me a buy-back option, apparently they only do that on vehicles that qualify as "basic transportation needs" (i.e. the car can continue to be driven safely, the owner doesn't give a crap that it's banged up, and the owner doesn't have a lot of money to get a different car.)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Happy trails, eh!

That Subie sounds like a lot of fun (and a lot less "ca-ching!" needed for go-fast mods and repairs).

May it serve you well

Thanks for the advise & B.S. opportunities in the past

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Are the pics meant to make him miss his R? :D I see a bigger turbo...

·
Registered
587 Posts
It would've been put up for auction with a salvage title. Someone likely bought it with the hopes of fixing it themselves and turning a profit on re-selling it. A larg fraction of the quote to repair it was labour.
I'm kinda shocked your car was deemed a total loss -- looks VERY repairable and an S60 hood & door shouldn't be too hard to come by.. Anyways hope the bad luck doesn't follow your new car. Was it the cost of maintaining a high performance Volvo the deciding factor in choosing not to get another R?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Love the blue on that STI. I think I would go for the white more though. Always wanted a white car lol.
Good luck with the new ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts