SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
This sucks, I had a gallon of water dump out behind my passenger seat and soak the floor the other day. My radio started with the white noise and scratchy sounds like an old record. The amp us located under the passenger seat which i believe would be the cause of the noise due to the water shorting. Anyways, i took out my seat and i was stunned by the weight of it. With both front seats i bet there is at least a net weight of 200 lbs. Does anyone make R compadable seats that are lighter? I know there is air bags and power seat options but in my mind our seats are wayy to heavy.

Any ideas to dry out and amp?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
For any electronic "deep spills" that I feel the water can possibly ruin the device, I give them an alcohol bath to save them and it usually works. Get a couple gallons of 90% isopropyl alcohol at walmart and drown the amp in it. The alcohol will displace any water in the electronics then will evaporate quickly. Water on the other hand, can stay for a very long time inside electronics with exposure to very little air. So you want the alcohol to be the last fluid in the amp.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
^ +1

Also, the seats are heavy for safety purposes--they have thick cross-beams under the actual cushion to displace side-impact to the console and not crush the person in the seat. There is also the whiplash protection system (WHIPS), which I wouldn't want to go without either.

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
Front seats have dynamite into them, it's heavy.
replacing front seats with crap and you're squuezed together if in sideimpact. Volvo seats are part of the SIPS since 91. You can't just replace them without lowering sideimpact resistance.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
The R in general is pretty damn heavy, I wouldn't bother removing the seats for less weight. why give up the safety and the comfort level of the seats. if you want cheap and light get a wrx/evo

you didn't mention if this was daily driver or if you are focusing on prepping car for the track or if swapping seats periodically was a goal.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Closer to 50lbs each, but still, robust, lol.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
You wouldn't believe how much heavier the electric ones are VS the manual ones. S40 has only power driver and non-power passenger... It's at least a 20lb difference

You could probably find an S60 with non-power seats, and just switch the skins over..? It probably wouldn't be quite the same, but it would give you a weight loss and still the comfort and saftey?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts