SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting close, leaving on the 28th for pickup of my C30 R-design (with Polestar tune) on Monday the 30th! Anyone else picking up that day or that week?

I ordered the car back in March so it's been a long wait! The itinerary we finally settled on is:

Goteborg to Oslo after pickup, next day we are doing Norway in a nutshell (train, boat, bus, train) with a sleeper car back to Oslo. Oslo onto Stockholm to take overnight ferry to Helsinki, heading north from there to Jyvaskyla to catch a day or two of the Finland WRC Rally then back to Helsinki for a night. Ferry back to Stockholm and two nights there. Drive Stockholm to Copenhagen, stay in Copenhagen for 3 nights, one night we are taking ferry from Gedser to Rostock and driving onto Berlin for one night. Back to Copenhagen, then back to Goteborg to drop car and spend one last night there.

We fly through Ohare on the way out of Phoenix and Newark on the way back. Only thing I haven't decided yet is wether to shoot for an upgrade on Optiontown or not.

Thanks to William at Lawrence Volvo - if it wasn't for his flyvolvo.com site I probably never would have stumbled onto the OSD program.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you are flying into Ohare allow plenty of time to catch the shuttle out to Terminal 5 where the SAS flights depart. We arrived at Terminal 1 and we found no helpful signs to guide us to the shuttle platform so we had to ask how to do it. We were directed to an unmarked elevator to go downstairs and then took an escalator back upstairs to reach the shuttle platform beyond security. Expect to go through security again. We lost so much time we did not get to use our SAS business lounge passes.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Sounds wonderful............please keep us updated as you travel!!! We had a great time at the SAS Lounge in Chicago.......then again, drinking wine, eating cheese with crackers, and snapping pictures of the plane we were flying to Europe is MY idea of heaven........ :)

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Only thing I haven't decided yet is wether to shoot for an upgrade on Optiontown or not.
That's cutting it a bit close. I think your chances for Optiontown upgrade are higher the further out you sign up (your position in queue).

Have a great trip! Driving on the autobahn is a blast; the only downside was the computer limiting speed to 130 MPH (210 KPH).

·
Registered
31 Posts
We used Option town to upgrade to Economy Plus (not sure if that's what it's called, but it's one step below business class). My husband is tall and likes having the extra leg room, and the flight home it was really nice becaue he hurt his knee on a glacier in Norway. The seats are bigger (or is it just more leg room?), you get your own TV (although sound is awful), and alcohol and other beverages are free.

It's probably a good thing that you are flying out of Newark rather than Chicago, like we did. It will break up the flight time a little better (and maybe the airport is better than Chicago, which is complete hassle).

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Via Optiontown we were upgraded to Business Class on the way to OSD and Economy Plus on the way back -- Chicago/Copenhagen leg.

The only negative is we experienced the "nicest" upgrade first so knew what we were missing on the way back. But it was better than in standard "Cattle Class" (Economy).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up paying for the Business class upgrade vs the Economy Plus?

Sounds like I might already be too late but I have been debating back and forth. We have flown coach before to India on Finnair so if we don't get any upgrades I think we will survive :)

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Around $800 for two tickets business class, around $450 for two tickets Economy Plus.

Optiontown tells you right up front how much it will cost you. You choose how high you want to upgrade (to plus only or up to business) and they tell you how much -- that gets charged to your credit card plus a $6/ticket fee. If you don't get the upgrade (or only get the lower upgrade), you get refunded the difference fairly quickly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful trip! I am sitting in Norway now visiting family....wish I had a new Volvo to drive but have borrowed my cousins V70.
Just so you are aware and not surprised....allow a little extra time for your connections in Olso as the Central Station is closed all summer. The transport is by bus to another station depending on the direction you are traveling. I flew over 10 days ago and 2 sleeping pills with dinner in coach allowed me to sleep for 4-5 hours...the best flight ever! I did see a beautiful red C70 last week with the famous red plates near Hollmenkollen ski jump!
God Reise OSDers

·
Registered
130 Posts
The easiest way to get from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5 in ORD is to take People Mover (a 2 car monorail). Takes no more than 5 mins. You will have to go through security gain though, as Terminal 5 has no physical connection to the rest of the airport.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Getting close, leaving on the 28th for pickup of my C30 R-design (with Polestar tune) on Monday the 30th! Anyone else picking up that day or that week?

I ordered the car back in March so it's been a long wait! The itinerary we finally settled on is:

Thanks to William at Lawrence Volvo - if it wasn't for his flyvolvo.com site I probably never would have stumbled onto the OSD program.
Thank you for your order. It has been a pleasure helping you. As usual swedespeed members are sharing some good travel tips.

Enjoy your vacation and your new C30...

Soon you will be exploring Europe.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the terminal 5 tips, we have 4.5 hours in Chicago so we should have some time in the lounge.

Decided against optiontown upgrade, I started calculating what I might end up paying for parking in all the major cities and figured I better hang onto some of my money.

We are headed out of Oslo towards Bergen so you are right, I think we take a bus to get out of central station then connect with train a bit down the line.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just an FYI - the Optiontown upgrades are running about $462 for Business and $262 for Economy Extra. And since you have already decided against trying, I will say that I believe that the further out you pay, the better your chances are to get upgrade.

And thanks for the heads up re O'Hare. We are flying out of there on SAS in Sept and wouldn't have realized that we needed to be a Terminal 5. Is there no way to go directly to Terminal 5?

·
Registered
130 Posts
The only way to arrive directly to Terminal 5 is to fly to ORD from outside of US. Spirit airlines used to fly in and out of there about 10 yrs ago, but i am not sure anymore. Besides, I really hope OSD is not flying you on Spirit Airlines to ORD :) I would be upset and want my money back :)

I would also double check exact terminal you are departing from. A lot of Star alliance airlines are flying from Terminal 1 (main united terminal) and i think that SAS is part of star alliance.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
And thanks for the heads up re O'Hare. We are flying out of there on SAS in Sept and wouldn't have realized that we needed to be a Terminal 5. Is there no way to go directly to Terminal 5?
We flew Philadelphia - ORD - Copenhagen - Gothenburg. Once in Chicago we had to leave the secured area (we asked a TSA agent to be sure), take the train/tram around to terminal 5, go back through TSA security, and walk over to the SAS lounge...

Since we our Optiontown upgrade worked out, we still have our Volvo-provided passes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts