SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update to below thread...

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=115405

Went for the IPD endlinks....great product, but what a PITA to get the orignal end links off...took me at least an hour, maybe 1.5 to get the originals off....they were on there good and tight. Can't figure out how the reviewer on the IPD site said it took him 10 mins....the install, sure. The removal?
Giving me second thoughts about replacing the spring seats myself when they're due

Not sure if they've gotten rid of the "loose" feeling...have to wait for another cold night to see if the knocking is gone.

The lower tranny mount, though...now THAT was easy. 10 mins tops.

Next project (gonna wait till spring clean up around the house is done) is new upper mount, IPD strut brace bushings, and new plugs.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Re: 10 Minutes my A$$... (icebiker)

I notice you live in the Northeast like me...everything takes longer to take apart without air tools.

The spring seats aren't bad, but I would do the upper bearings at the same time. I mean, you're already taking everything apart...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Re: 10 Minutes my A$$... (Edogg218)

+1 air tools. Cordless 3/8 or 1/2 impacts will also work so no need for air.

I always us a 3/8 impact to zip the old nut off. When taking off, a nice pair of small Channel Locks works nicely to hold the other side. If you have Parrot Jaw pliers those work well too.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Re: 10 Minutes my A$$... (Oceans60R)

Quote, originally posted by Oceans60R »

I always us a 3/8 impact to zip the old nut off. When taking off, a nice pair of small Channel Locks works nicely to hold the other side. If you have Parrot Jaw pliers those work well too.

I used to do everything by hand, and my elbows would get sore. Now I do what you do, and there's no air hose to get in the way!

·
Registered
16,996 Posts

Agreed to the 3/8 cordless impact drill .

Not sure how I ever lived without it

http://images.google.com/imgre...%3D18

worth every single penny and you can get bits that fit 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 inch chucks

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Problem with the end links is that you have to counterhold the bolt using an allen or torx key from the same side as the nut, preventing use of anything other than an open ended/box wrench. A socket (attached to a ratchet or drill) will cover up the allen/torx hole, so is ineffective since there's no way to counter-hold the bolt (the bolt's head is embedded in the end link).

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

Quote, originally posted by icebiker »
Update to below thread...

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=115405

Went for the IPD endlinks....great product, but what a PITA to get the orignal end links off...took me at least an hour, maybe 1.5 to get the originals off....they were on there good and tight. Can't figure out how the reviewer on the IPD site said it took him 10 mins....the install, sure. The removal?
Giving me second thoughts about replacing the spring seats myself when they're due

Not sure if they've gotten rid of the "loose" feeling...have to wait for another cold night to see if the knocking is gone.

The lower tranny mount, though...now THAT was easy. 10 mins tops.

Next project (gonna wait till spring clean up around the house is done) is new upper mount, IPD strut brace bushings, and new plugs.

Bummer, IIRC, my husband changed my OEM's for the HD ones...took him about 45 minutes total. He does have an air compressor + tools, so that may have expedited the process.

I remember because I was amazed how quickly it was finished...usually car projects at our house always take longer than you think.

·
Registered
2007 XC70
1,189 Posts
If you push the boot back on the old endlink, there's a flat section where you can counter hold with a thin adjustable wrench and still use a ratchet of some sort to loosen the nut. I remember the first time I took endlinks off of my 850. 10 years of corrosion and I had to cut it off using a dremel.

·
Registered
719 Posts
i took off my endlinks (stock) when i changed my spring seats and did not have too much trouble (other than having to go buy the right size socket since i could not find the one i needed in my box. should have ordered the HDs then but i got them coming in tomorrow and replacing the front endlinks, wheel seals (one was cracked) and ball joints....hopefully this will get rid of the horrible noises....cross fingers

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Re: 10 Minutes my A$$... (Chilled Man)

Anybody else want to comment on a good, not too expensive, cordless impact wrench for a weekend warrior who also does some tractor work? 3/8 or 1/2"?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Re: 10 Minutes my A$$... (MrTippy)

I also did my HD endlinks without an impact. Definitely a huge PITA. Went out and bought a DeWalt impact the next day so I would never have to deal with that again!
best investment ever

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Re: 10 Minutes my A$$... (MrTippy)

Quote, originally posted by MrTippy »
Anybody else want to comment on a good, not too expensive, cordless impact wrench for a weekend warrior who also does some tractor work? 3/8 or 1/2"?
No complaints with this 1/2"-er:

http://www.mytoolplace.com/Mil....aspx

Not cordless, though; 6 lbs. in weight w/300 ft. lbs. torque. I paid $154.95 shipped in August of 2008; looks like it's a tad higher now. I got it 'cause it can handle the tractor, RTV, log splitter, and the cars, too.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Me and my friend did the rear end links on my car in less than 10 minutes. On the floor. No air tools. Just two people, people! And that was with the tires back on and everything!

Then again, he once installed an engine into an 850 in less than an hour, with every sensor hooked up and absolutely no other issues on the car ever since then, and that was about a year ago.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Re: 10 Minutes my A$$... (Edogg218)

Quote, originally posted by Edogg218 »

I used to do everything by hand, and my elbows would get sore. Now I do what you do, and there's no air hose to get in the way!

THIS

you might have been missing 4 jack stands ... a mechanics onesy ... beer ... air tools ... and penetrating lubricant (for the car not you silly).... any of those can = to a bad time really fast. this is unless the car Gods are on your side then you should be ok.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

Quote, originally posted by icebiker »

Problem with the end links is that you have to counterhold the bolt using an allen or torx key from the same side as the nut, preventing use of anything other than an open ended/box wrench. A socket (attached to a ratchet or drill) will cover up the allen/torx hole, so is ineffective since there's no way to counter-hold the bolt (the bolt's head is embedded in the end link).

*in Yoda voice* "That, is why you fail."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.