Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my first service at 10K miles

Basically just an oil change

They did not rotate the tires or remove the wheels / inspect the brakes

No software update

I guess that what free gets you?

Advisor days that volvo no longer rec's regular tire rotation but that I could get it done at 20K if I wanted

They also did not rec an alignment (I was not expecting that to be free anyway)

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
What's your question?

Rotations haven't been part of the services for a long time. Over 10 years. I measure tread depth and recommend as needed.

Alignments have never been part of the services.

Software updates are no longer reimbursed by Volvo so you may have to ask for them and then, it's up to the dealer to handle it how they want.

Yes, a 10k is essentially an oil change.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, my point is that tire rotation has always been recommended every 6-10K (maybe not by volvo). Are they leaving it out b/c they are doing it for 'free'? Even my Mopar dealer does software updates at each service w/o an extra charge. I was expecting more from Volvo. I was not expecting a free alignment as I stated

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
They did the 10k service. That's what you brought it in for. They are leaving it out because it isn't part of the service.

When I do a 10k (or any service, for that matter), I measure the tire tread. If it needs a rotation, I try to sell a rotation.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just find it odd that the recommendations on tire rotation interval change when the service is included/free. Perhaps a minor point but at 10K I see a tire rotation as overdue (unless conventional wisdom on tire rotations was wrong all along)

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I agree, which is why I measure and recommend as necessary.

Volvo did stop recommending tire rotations the same year they stopped including them in the free services, so I believe it was to lower their costs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts