SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just yesterday, I finally went past 10,000 miles on my 2012 R Design. I bought it in August of 2011.

Before I bought this car, I owned a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD which I put a measily 70,000 miles on before I traded it in.

When I looked at cars, I never considered Volvo because I felt they weren't "sporty" enough for me. I had my mind made up on buying an Acura TL SH-AWD when I drove a T5. I liked the T5 but it was too soft on the suspension and I wanted more power. The Volvo dealer at the time said "Wait until the new R Design comes out with the T6" so I did. If I was going to spend $40K plus for a car, I wanted it to be right. People ask "Why didn't you buy a BMW or an Audi?". Locally, we have a lousy Audi dealer and I didn't want to deal with their short term warranty either. I briefly considered a BMW but after I optioned it the way I wanted, the price skyrocketed beyond what I wanted to pay. I wanted to spend $47k MAX but I wanted certain options for that $47K..

Fast forward to August of last year and I was able to drive an R-Design. At that point, I was sold. I drove a White one for a few hours and asked what other colors they had. I was told this or black. As I don't like White cars (tar tends to stick to it too easily and stand out), I decided I wanted the Black Sapphire. I thought I wanted Grey but the dealer stated it would be a while and I personally couldn't wait. The Grey or Black wasn't a deal breaker so I pulled the trigger. I didn't want BLIS either but I couldn't find a car without it so I went with it.

In terms of reliability, my car has been at the dealer a total of 3 times.
1. 7,500 oil change which occurred just last August. They upgraded me to Sensus 3.0 at that point.
2. Seat Heater Recall fix.
3. Pulsating brake pedal which Volvo determine is "As designed". I have a thread on it somewhere here.

In my mind, this car has been extremely reliable in it's first year. Moreso than I expected out of a European car (this is my first European car).

As I travel for a living, I tend to leave it at the Airport a lot and drive a rental for the week. Because of this, I'm able to directly compare my car vs what Hertz or National will give me. In every case when I return home, I'm happy to be returning home to my Volvo.

From a years' driving, I've came up with the following plus and minus chart for me:

Pluses:
1. Reliability thus far
2. Polestar grunt. Having driven a T6 and a T5, the difference in power with Polestar is NOTICABLE.
3. Good Gas Mileage. I average 27MPG Highway using 100% Premium Pump 91 Octane (no ethanol). 21.5 in the City.
4. Amazing seats in terms of comfort and quality. I constantly get people telling me how much better these seats are than your typical leather seats and how comfortable they are.
5. Looks and uniqueness. Since there are only 2 RD's in Tulsa, It's a unique car. Also, since there aren't too many Volvos here, they stand out. I like that. The design is very good on the new S60.

Minuses:
1. Sensus issues. I'm not the only one that has experienced the various lockups and such. Luckily my issues seem to have disappeared once 3.0 was installed. This is a non issue now.
2. Truck doesn't pop up all the way when you use the remote. It just pops. It doesn't fling up like most cars. I'd prefer the later.
3. Brakes. While they are fine for normal usage, I still believe these are a downside to this car. After driving several other cars like a Mustang GT, I can certainly understand why someone would think the brakes on this car are not up to snuff. The lack of a real bite is the concern. That being said, it's not a big deal to me.
4. BLIS glitches. When it rains, BLIS seems to glitch more. This is a fairly minor complaint really.

Nothing in my Minus column is a real issue to me. I think that says a lot.

Here's hoping my next 10,000 miles is as uneventful as my previous 10,000.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Good read...thanks for the post. Question, why did you wait a year after delivery to get your first oil change? I believe the service schedule is 7500 miles OR 6 months, which ever is first. Keep this in mind!

·
Registered
989 Posts
This sounds like a great car. You're making me have buyers remorse for not sticking with the R but little things swayed me to the T5.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
That is a great report. I'll have to go drive a RD at some point to see what I'm missing. That said, I am very, very happy with the T5.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That is a great report. I'll have to go drive a RD at some point to see what I'm missing. That said, I am very, very happy with the T5.
+1

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
+2

·
Registered
459 Posts
Good read...thanks for the post. Question, why did you wait a year after delivery to get your first oil change? I believe the service schedule is 7500 miles OR 6 months, which ever is first. Keep this in mind!
7500 miles or one year, whichever comes first. The standard oil in the 2012 is a semi-synthetic and that's what Volvo recommends.

My R-D is now over a year old, and I've had no real issues at all. I had my one year service and oil change, the A/C plug recall done, the Sensus 3.0 update, and that's been about it. No rattles or squeaks, no water leaks, no nothing. It's been a great car ... comfortable and fun to drive. Here, I rarely can break the 26-27 mpg mark, but there's no such thing as flat terrain.

Overall, I'm also very pleased with my purchase of the S60.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the service schedule is 7500 miles OR 6 months, which ever is first. Keep this in mind!
saholz is correct. 7,500 miles or 1 year. I hit the 1 year mark before I hit the 7,500 mile mark.

like his car, mine has no leaks, no rattles, no nothing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good review, thanks for posting! I live in IL, where we have 10% Ethanol, so I can only get about 25.5 MPG highway, on average. That is calculated MPG based on fillups, the car average says more like 26.5MPG. I only have 1,800 MI so far, maybe it gets better as time goes along?

City is more like 18MPG, but that is in Chicago, where the traffic is really bad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Get Sensus updated if you haven't already done that... for me it's a big difference after they updated it to 3.0 from 2.0.
Before it had different lockups etc. now I haven't noticed any and it's a bit faster too than before.

Anyway, good review!

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
LOL - I have Driven a T5 , T5 - AWD and T6 AWD : (( every ( F76%$86 ) one of them )) : Vibrated in the Front End - Period !

First Question : What's Up with the Vibration , First Answer - it's the Tires from Sitting : 45 miles later on a 60 degree Day It might be the Rims !___!

(( BULL - S*&*% )) ++4 They have an Axle and Brake - Design - that allows this to Happen .

I Told the Monkeys We will put the Car on the Lift and - pull all the Pc's Grease everything - Break Out the Clamp on Dial Indicator - and start
Inspecting everything .

As soon as it's Fixed - I'll Buy - It !

We can't do all that - work - until You Buy the Car : LOL

Good - BUY

that said ; The Tires a lot of time are screwed 25% of the time and 15 % are Bent Rims .

My Older V40 - had a shimmy at 85-95 mph - 3 yrs. later Volvo came out with New Alignment Spec's and a Rear Suspension Tweak .read ( New Rear Member )

It looks like thew V50 is going to be Rough on Brake Rotors - I Believe the way the ABS is Calculating - how offend to cly. in Order to Control - ( Heat Input )
is Mathematically Wrong - as every time I have a few Emergency Stops - Bam - there goes the Rotors - WARPED , along with Soft Motor Mounts which die early .

·
Registered
989 Posts
Can you tell us what those "little things" were that swayed you to the T5? Just wondering?
Had an S60RD in the driveway, took it back to the dealer for a T5. Reasons I went with the T5 over T6

#1 Drone in the in cabin @ 45-60 MPH, absolutely hurt my ears - my opinion it was the AWD system/trans gearing and not something I wanted to spend months troubleshooting

#2 Comfort ride

#3 Gas mileage

# 4 Price for performance/setup (T5 vice T6 base, non-R), just not that much more notable to me. Got a lot more goodies for a lot less money

Don't get me wrong, the RD was the absolute perfect car save the issues. Even with the awesome price they gave me. The drone was just too deafening to me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Had an S60RD in the driveway, took it back to the dealer for a T5. Reasons I went with the T5 over T6

#1 Drone in the in cabin @ 45-60 MPH, absolutely hurt my ears - my opinion it was the AWD system/trans gearing and not something I wanted to spend months troubleshooting

#2 Comfort ride

#3 Gas mileage

# 4 Price for performance/setup (T5 vice T6 base, non-R), just not that much more notable to me. Got a lot more goodies for a lot less money

Don't get me wrong, the RD was the absolute perfect car save the issues. Even with the awesome price they gave me. The drone was just too deafening to me.
The T5 is a good choice, although the ride is the same as the standard T6. The R-D is, of course, somewhat more stiffly sprung. I have never heard even a trace of drone at any speed with my R-D, so I'm not sure what was going on with the one you drove.

Either way, any S60 is a smart choice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Too bad about the drone sound. I'm waiting for someone to reply, "Just Turn the radio up". Seriously, it is hard to really demo a neat new ride when faced with such a beautiful vehicle. I'm glad you caught that before buying and got what you wanted in the T5.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Too bad about the drone sound. I'm waiting for someone to reply, "Just Turn the radio up". Seriously, it is hard to really demo a neat new ride when faced with such a beautiful vehicle. I'm glad you caught that before buying and got what you wanted in the T5.
That's the beauty of the dealership....I did buy the RD and took it back a day later. Albeit a bit upset, they were great about it. 40 minutes later someone else had paid for it and driving off. Good luck to him and do wish him well. I was absolutely sick (no, really) that it had the noise because it was equipped to the max and you know the power plant - wow. Wanted the RD to work out. I love me a sh*t hot car and that was it.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The T5 is a good choice, although the ride is the same as the standard T6..
T6s get the Dynamic suspension as standard (all model years). 2011 and 2012 could have
optionally been supplied with the Touring suspension. The Touring suspension option is
dropped in 2013 for T6.

T5 get the Touring suspension standard for all model years. Dynamic suspension was available on
2012 FWD with one of the optional packages. Dynamic suspension is not available for 2013 T5 models.

T6 is the only model that can also be ordered with 4C suspension.

The RD uses the same front struts as Dynamic suspension with upgraded rear shocks and
lower springs. I think they call this the Sport Suspension.

Above for US market.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Get Sensus updated if you haven't already done that... for me it's a big difference after they updated it to 3.0 from 2.0.
Before it had different lockups etc. now I haven't noticed any and it's a bit faster too than before.

Anyway, good review!
I did as I noted above. With 3.0, I'm not having any issues with Sensus

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good review, thanks for posting! I live in IL, where we have 10% Ethanol, so I can only get about 25.5 MPG highway, on average. That is calculated MPG based on fillups, the car average says more like 26.5MPG. I only have 1,800 MI so far, maybe it gets better as time goes along?

City is more like 18MPG, but that is in Chicago, where the traffic is really bad.
My MPG has been consistent. From Day #1, I've ran 100% thru the car. Some stations here overcharge for it. I'm lucky that I'm paying about 10 cents a gallon more for it. Most places want 20-30 cents more.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The T5 is a good choice, although the ride is the same as the standard T6. The R-D is, of course, somewhat more stiffly sprung. I have never heard even a trace of drone at any speed with my R-D, so I'm not sure what was going on with the one you drove.

Either way, any S60 is a smart choice.
No drone here either. My wife has told me many times that it's library quiet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts