SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I don't post on here that often. I thought I would check back in and give an update on my thoughts and experiences with the car.

Just recently passed the 1 year mark and have accumulated 22,709 miles on my car.

Overall I am ok with the car. I love the beautiful interior, and the seats are the most comfortable seats I have had in any car. The fuel economy is fantastic for this size vehicle. According to my Fuelly app, I have averaged 35.0 miles per gallon. Generally I can commute all the way to the office on a full charge, and drive home on gas. Had a few long trips, and that is where I like the car the most. Have been to Tucson Arizona, and a couple of trips to Vegas (all from Southern California).

The acceleration and power are good, and I like it. The car is a little wonky to get used to, but once used to it is good. The handling is poor. It doesn't corner the way other high end CUV's handle. This is my biggest gripe about the car. I realize everything is a trade off between either luxury or sport. I wish this had more sport. Down the road I may consider stiffer lowering springs/shocks, or a stronger Anti-roll bar. Coming from my former Audi Q5, I really miss the handling of that car. It was the perfect balance for me of sport and luxury.

I have had several warranty issues. In the first week of ownership, a plastic part in the rear bumper fell off and had to be replaced. (covers up a towing hole or something). It has also been to the dealer to have the thermostat replaced, that failed early in ownership. Last month after 3 visits to the dealer, they were finally able to locate the source of an annoying rattle. Turned out the plastic housing behind the interior mirror was defective, so I had to have that replaced. Most recently (this week), the sun shade won't close, so I have an appointment (April 9th was the soonest they could get me in) to have that looked at.

Another issue I have is the dealers. I just don't think they understand customer service. I usually have to wait at least a month for a rental/loaner car. Since I only have one car, I can't be without a car, as my office is outside their "courtesy shuttle" zone. They could also just use a little more training. On my first visit, I had a question on using some of the technology, and the service department didn't know, and told me to go to the sales department. The sales department didn't want to help me, and insulted me for not buying the car from them (which they didn't have, or wouldn't order for me at the time I bought mine). I would much prefer a printed manual that I could study instead of sitting in the car and not being able to find things in the digital manual. Also upon arrival at the dealership, they get offended that I don't remember who my service advisor is (I get someone different each time).

Sorry for venting, but this is the most expensive car that I have had, and although I know no car is perfect, I was just hoping that this car would be a little better.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
You don't need to read the manual in car. I am never that patient when sitting in car.
Download the PDF manual on cellphone and you can read it when convenient.

I like to use lowered height in my individual profile so it is a little stiffer and less swing.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I assume you didn't opt for the 4C air suspension? In POWER mode, it corners great with 265 pzeros....especially, if you lower it another inch. ;)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Nice write up! I'm only on like week 3 with my 2019 T8 but enjoying it a lot so far. I'm fortunate that I can charge it for free at my work, and the parking garage is actually $1/day cheaper than the 1 I had been using..win/win!! Ask the sales person....ya right, they are clueless..my sales guy told me 1 could only do 30 mph on the battery......Volvo salesmen were just as clueless as the others.

·
Registered
253 Posts
"You don't need to read the manual in car. I am never that patient when sitting in car.
Download the PDF manual on cellphone and you can read it when convenient."

I printed the manual & put it in a 3 ring binder. It is over 600 pages & still difficult to find things but better than trying to navigate on the screen in vehicle or my cell phone.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got a full printed manual book with mine...ironically, I'd be fine with only the digital version.

·
Registered
682 Posts
"You don't need to read the manual in car. I am never that patient when sitting in car.
Download the PDF manual on cellphone and you can read it when convenient."
I printed the manual & put it in a 3 ring binder. It is over 600 pages & still difficult to find things but better than trying to navigate on the screen in vehicle or my cell phone.
You can download a pdf to your desktop/laptop, and it's much easier to read on the bigger screen. I like it better than paper because I use the Find function to look up whatever I'm interested in.

https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/manuals/ownersmanualDownload/year/

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
I have had several warranty issues. In the first week of ownership, a plastic part in the rear bumper fell off and had to be replaced. (covers up a towing hole or something). It has also been to the dealer to have the thermostat replaced, that failed early in ownership. Last month after 3 visits to the dealer, they were finally able to locate the source of an annoying rattle. Turned out the plastic housing behind the interior mirror was defective, so I had to have that replaced. Most recently (this week), the sun shade won't close, so I have an appointment (April 9th was the soonest they could get me in) to have that looked at.
Warranty issues seem to be the norm with all the parts and technology. I had several on my vehicle (Backup Camera took 4 attempts + replacement of harness, camera, etc). Drivers side Mirror Motor Died. Rearview Mirror clouded over. Gear shift enamel cracked.

Brothers car had his backup camera issues, too - Honda.

Par for the course I guess.

Another issue I have is the dealers. I just don't think they understand customer service. I usually have to wait at least a month for a rental/loaner car. Since I only have one car, I can't be without a car, as my office is outside their "courtesy shuttle" zone. They could also just use a little more training. On my first visit, I had a question on using some of the technology, and the service department didn't know, and told me to go to the sales department. The sales department didn't want to help me, and insulted me for not buying the car from them (which they didn't have, or wouldn't order for me at the time I bought mine). I would much prefer a printed manual that I could study instead of sitting in the car and not being able to find things in the digital manual. Also upon arrival at the dealership, they get offended that I don't remember who my service advisor is (I get someone different each time).

Sorry for venting, but this is the most expensive car that I have had, and although I know no car is perfect, I was just hoping that this car would be a little better.
I couldn't agree more on the loaner program. I drive 80 miles to a dealer I LOVE to get a loaner car and better customer service. Local had terrible help for the longest and still offers no loaners for the majority of services. I think they have a "few" but they are in extreme short supply. Other dealer always has an ample supply so I can usually book a service within a week or less.

Local dealer does the useless courtesy shuttle. Doesn't really help much if you need to go anywhere but home, since you're left without a car. I consider this a failing of the specific franchise / dealer. Not understanding proper customer service for a brand that wants to compete with "near luxury or luxury" segment. Someone spending $30-$75,000 on a car should be getting a top notch experience. If we wanted run of the mill, we could have bought a Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, etc.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Loaners must really vary at different dealerships. I brought my XC40 in for an oil change and they got me a loaner with less than a weeks notice. I had a creaky seat this month and had a loaner for almost a week. I just made my 10,000 mile service and wasn’t going to ask for a loaner because I now work from home, but they said I might as well get one since it’s available.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hello all,

I don't post on here that often. I thought I would check back in and give an update on my thoughts and experiences with the car.

Just recently passed the 1 year mark and have accumulated 22,709 miles on my car.

I hope your new Volvo XC60, will serve as your old Audi Q5 (although I doubt it)
Your comment on www.audiworld says it all. I know you from this forum:)

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
One thing I can't complain about at all is the quality. Not a single thing about my 2018 XC60 has caused me a single issue over the last year.

·
Registered
682 Posts
One thing I can't complain about at all is the quality. Not a single thing about my 2018 XC60 has caused me a single issue over the last year.
It is pretty impressive. I've got well over 18,000 miles on my '18 XC60 T8 and everything has been better than I expected. Had two small issues that were both quickly resolved with a software update (while I had a loaner for the overnight fix). Without a doubt the best car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good to hear...people mostly go online and bitch so you don't tend to see a lot of positive remarks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts