SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to get my wife an '09 V8 R-Design. She now has more horsepower than I do! Has about 5000mi. so lightly used.

Her 100K+ miles, 2000 V70 XC is done and the 3 kids need more room.

I have a V70 R so I understand the angle gear and wheel bearings are trouble. Anything specific to the R-Design & V8 except the blinding speed my money will be transferred to the local gas stations?

I go to pick it up on Monday. It's stuffed with options except no BLIS. (Bummer -- I wanted that.) I did get the 6yr/100K warranty though.

Anybody know what should come with the car such as...
- Fancy leather manual folder like for my V70 R?
- headsets for the DVD player? 1 or 2 headsets?
- Should it come with fancy special key fobs like the V70 R?
- There were 2 remotes in the glove compartment. One for DVD, one for nav.
- Anything else that's sort of losable that should be there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Re: 09 XC90 R-Design V8 (blinky)

Get them to put a jack in the vehicle. Tell them you don't care if the thing has no spare tire, you won't accept a vehicle without a jack. It should be located under the floor between the 6th and 7th seat when they are stowed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 09 XC90 R-Design V8 (dave_n_ruth)

A jack? It doesn't have a spare? I feel so ignorant. I was completely unaware the XC90 doesn't have a spare, but now that you mention it I didn't see one underneath, and there's no room for it above. Hmmmm.

Looks like I'll be stowing a can of Fix-A-Flat?

Thank you!

I did find yesterday the car has 2 wireless headsets.

Modified by blinky at 3:54 AM 6-14-2009

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Re: (Pinstripe)

It has a tire temp repair/inflation kit near the battery. A box in a bag.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (Pinstripe)

Quote, originally posted by Pinstripe »
It uses run flat tires.

Okay, I looked into this and all I can find is that the front tires are run-flat. Are you saying all 4 are run flat on the V8 R? The Scorpion Zero tires listed at Tire Rack don't specifically state that they're run-flat. The Volvo specs at the Volvo website don't seem to mention run-flat in the specs, which I'd think they'd be proud enough to want to itemize. This is annoyingly unclear.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Re: (blinky)

Go to Pirelli.com. It says run flat technology. All 4 tires are the same. Good luck finding a replacement set that is not pirelli. Not many options in that size

·
Registered
5,060 Posts

No problem, I think you are only the third person on here to have bought one. So at least I have a couple people to talk too about it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kudos to Boston Volvo. They handled the sale elegantly, put everything where it should be, cleaned up the car to very pretty, walked us through a full orientation and had even installed batteries in the remotes & wireless headsets. My family is now very, very spoiled, even more.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Make sure your wheels are in alignment.

I bought my xc90 Sport v-8 with around the same mileage and the tires only lasted around 11k due primarily to uneven wear in front. I imagine your tires are even more expensive than my 19's. Replaced them with Michelins by the way which have improved the ride and seem to wear better.

If I was doing it over again I would have bargained for alignment before taking delivery.

Also Volvo apparently doesn't precribe tire rotation despite the fact that the tire manufacturer warranty calls for it.

This being said the car has otherwise been perfect other than a pressure control switch being replaced after having heard Husker Z's experience. I actually enjoy it as much if not more than the 04 V70R it replaced.

Did you get a good deal?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: (K-!)

Quote, originally posted by K-! »

I bought my xc90 Sport v-8 with around the same mileage and the tires only lasted around 11k due primarily to uneven wear in front. I imagine your tires are even more expensive than my 19's. Replaced them with Michelins by the way which have improved the ride and seem to wear better.

If I was doing it over again I would have bargained for alignment before taking delivery.

Did you get a good deal?

Thanks for the tip, this goes along with my experience after recently aquiring ours CPO a few weeks back. I'm getting mine aligned early next week and one of the tires rebalanced. We have a slight pull on the highway and when traveling at 80mph have a slight shake.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts

Replaced them with Michelins by the way which have improved the ride and seem to wear better.

They don't make Michelins at 20".

Your selected vehicle:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R-Design AWD
Original equipment tire size:
255/45R20/RF 105Y
We found 0 results that fit your vehicle.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: (dave_n_ruth)

Quote, originally posted by dave_n_ruth »
They don't make Michelins at 20".

Your selected vehicle:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R-Design AWD
Original equipment tire size:
255/45R20/RF 105Y
We found 0 results that fit your vehicle.

And the OP has a Sport; not an R Design......which means 19's as noted.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Re: (MagoonR)

I understand, but why would the info have been volunteered had he not been adding his recommendation? I was not trying to attack him. I was just trying to reiterate that there is very limited available options to choose from in this tire size. I will say the Pirelli's seem to perform well on the vehicle.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: (dave_n_ruth)

My primary point was concerning the fact that the XC 90 alignment and tire rotation should be watched so not to prematurely wear out expensive tires.

Mentioning the Michelins was just an added comment and in hindsight seems to distract from my main point.

It seems that the XC 90 with the Pirellis has had had tire wear issues in a number of tire sizes. So much so that I believe Volvo or Pirelli were paying adjustments to owners at one point on the 17s.

So it is unfortunate that there is not more of a choice of alternatives. I guess

Iwon't be so jealous of not having the newer 20 inch wheels!

·
Registered
416 Posts

I'm nearing 18k and am getting ready to replace my OEM Pirellis. Which Michelins did you go with? Thanks.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BV did include an alignment. Thanks for the heads-up, though! I'd post a pic if it'd stop raining long enough for me to get one. Combine that with my driveway getting paved, my garage getting reconstructed. Sheesh. Too much going on...

My wife absolutely loves the XC90, though. She wanted an XC90 of some type but says it has especially grown on her that she really likes driving a passion red badass vehicle with dual tailpipes and some getup & go.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.