SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the car out yesterday and it made the bearing/seal noise, so I took it out this morning, drove the same route and picked up the tech. Sure enough it duplicated and he was able to confirm the problem. Based on the date of manufacture they aren't sure if this car has the old or new shafts and bearings so the only way to be 100% sure is hear it. If it does have the old style its not a surprise, if its the new style then oh well, someone didn't assemble it properly. Whatever the case the parts are ordered and should be in in a couple weeks (backordered). So if you have the screech/ bearing noise on an AWD, let it get regular then have your dealer hear it to confirm. No way around that but as I first posted regarding "bearing noise"- its wasn't rumble strips, warning grooves, road paving work or any other outside source. Musical roads indeed?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: 09-T6AWD-Bearing Noise Confirmed (NJdiver)

It is great that you got confirmation. Needless to say, my dealer couldn't replicate yesterday. He said he drove the car "around and around" but when I picked it up the odometer was only 2 more miles than when I brought it in.

Anyway, I drove it around this morning, started getting the noise and , just before I got to the dealer, it stopped making the noise. It was then fine all the way to work.

You said you took the tech on the same route and it replicated -- have you noticed any particular conditions in which you get the noise? If so, let me know so that I can more easily replicate for my service advisor. Mine seems random, except that once it starts happening, any moderate acceleration (starting from a dead stop, or accelerating to pass another vehicle) will make it recur.

One more question: does the cage bearing/seal look defective upon visual examination (if it can be looked at w/o taking a bunch of other stuff apart -- I'm no expert)? If so, I may suggest that to the dealer even if the noise can't be produced on demand.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: 09-T6AWD-Bearing Noise Confirmed (JAM)

JAM - if I were you, I would keep my camcorder handy in the car ready to go, and when the noise pops up, I would start recording and just hand that to the dealership and say "here is the problem, fix it because this is proof it exists", and if they don't fix it and return it to you, call up VCNA because you can say that this may be a safety hazard due to the loud volume, etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jam, recording with my phone was the next step. But I got lucky and it did it. I put 300 miles on the car "dicking around" trying to get it to happen on a regular basis but the thing was random. It just got random at the right time, but recording is a great idea and record the mileage at the same time. It will show speed, mileage and give them an idea of the noise. The other challenge is there is no visual evidence that be looked at, according to the tech. Thats what makes it hard to resolve, but if its doing it, it will continue and increase in frequency and duration. Until then its a pain in the neck not knowing for sure whats up?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more quick note, since these parts will be a couple weeks, I asked if this could strand me on the road side and the thoughts were it wouldn't, so ust bear with it, drive it and record it a couple time for your guys at the dealer to see and hear. Good luck, enjoy the weekend. I'm heading to Cape May and taking the Volvo- lets hope they are right about not stranding me?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: (NJdiver)

Thanks, NJ. I did try recording with my cell phone (blackberry) but it didn't work (just dead air, not even road noise). I may try with a real tape recorder.

Good to know that apparently it is not a safety or breakdown issue. That has been my biggest concern.

Safe travels to Cape May and back. Good weekend for the beach.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JAM-Great weekend weather for a change. I decided to pretty much park the T6 until they get the parts and do the repair. Burned enough fuel trying to have the car make noise and its almost due for the 7500 service which I'll have done at the same time as the repair. So it back to old reliable Accord EXL which I prefer driving around town anyway. After having the 80 for 7 months I'm not a huge fan of the car, not because of problems but I liked my S60 over the 80 for all around use, size and fun dricing, but the 60's were few and far between in November and the 80's had the killer deals. Don't give up the ship guy. Get it recorded and they should be able to put a handle on it once they hear it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.