SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is most likely the Cage Bearing/Seal on the AWD system. At least that's what they suspect but would like to hear it, if they can. It won't happen unless warmed up and on a longer drive. This was a problem in 07-08 but was design changed in 09. It also requires a full drive shaft change with new cage bearings and seals. And the drive shaft has 4 sets of universal joints because of the length and geometry. Welcome to the world of AWD, more stuff under the car, more stuff to go wrong.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: 09-T6 AWD- Screaming noise diagnosed (NJdiver)

I have just started to experience the exact same thing, albeit perhaps under different circumstances. I get a howling-warbling-screeching noise, apparently coming from under the hood on the driver's side. On my morning drive today, it occurred, quite "reliably" by the end of the drive, every time I accelerated from a stop. It also seemed to occur while I was accelerating while moving. The noise would go away after about 5 seconds.<p>In any event, since the noise sounds pretty much identical to what you experience(d) [though it may occur under different circumstances], I am wondering if you have any update on your situation -- was it conclusively determined to be the AWD as opposed to a bearing; was the problem visible even w/o the check engine or wrench sign coming on (I haven't received such a message); has the problem been definitively resolved; etc.?<p>PS -- mine is also a 2009 T6 AWD, built (I believe) in late Nov. or early Dec.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They think they have it nailed but haven't confirmed it yet,because they want to actually hear it before ripping the rear drive train out. I would hate to do the repair and find out its something else? Lots of stuff under there that can go bad-Of course its been all quiet on the Volvo front. Ive gone maybe 200 miles in all conditions since last Saturdays major scream and not a peep. But if it is what they think it will re-occur more regularly. And if it gets louder and longer every time, which seems the case, they will be able to hear it 5 blocks away. I was pretty sure something was going to let go Saturday because that was at speed and lasted 30-60 seconds. Filled the cabin with a God Awful scream. This 09-T6 was probably manufactured August/Sept because I bought it Election Day 08 and it was at Port Newark with a bizillion others they were waiting to sell. The yellow check light and message was pure coincidence and alerting us to get ready for first oil change and check up. If we can't nail it down, and it goes away (HaHa) I'm not sure what they want to do, but I can't imagine this going away. Done it about 7 times now in 10 days and each time it gets louder and longer. It'll rear its ugly little head again, like the Alien, bigger and badder every time it was hungry, and this sucker sounded real hungry Saturday. I'll post an update as we proceed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: 09-T6 AWD- Screaming noise diagnosed (JAM)

Jam, I have an 09 T6 AWD as well. His first post says this is limited to 07 and 08. Maybe it is in the 09's too? <p>Could you say how many mile you had on the car when it started to make this noise?<br>

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: 09-T6 AWD- Screaming noise diagnosed (ImInPA)

PA -- NJDiver has an 09 (or so I assume from his header), so I took it that the problem -- or at least a problem similar to mine -- has occurred in other 09s.<p>The problem just surfaced today, on my morning drive to work. It recurred on the evening drive home (after about 10 minutes, but once it started to happen, the noise was louder and more prolonged). I have about 3,500 miles on the car.<p>If there is any silver lining, it is that if tomorrow is like today, the dealer will not be able to say he can't hear or replicate it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AhHa!- so these 09's do have some built in bugs. I'm heading out this morning down the shore and we'll see if she gives a yell. 3500 miles sound right- I heard if they are going to do it, it will be with lower mileage, but because my wife only goes a few miles every day it hasn't happened until I use the car. The seal needs some heat and if not lubed correctly when manufactured its dry and screams. Post what the Volvo boys find out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: (NJdiver)

Brought it in this morning just as it was beginning to make the noise. Unfortunately, the service advisor declined to go out with me to hear it himself. I told him he'd need to go for 15-20 minutes before it starts making the noise, and he told me they do 4-6 mile drives. Big Catch-22. I will be mighty displeased if I get the "cannot replicate" song and dance.<p>Got a Buick Lucerne for a loaner. Not dramatically different from the Volvo, to tell you the truth, except for slightly less pep.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts